Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Crawford keeps winning, people will pay to see him lose...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
    well he's getting there acting the way he did in the 12th.. even got max kellerman mad at that lmao!!!
    how about the stuff roach and postol said before the fight? why was that swept under the rug? so him taunting a little is classless but no mention of the cash money sh* they were talking????? was that classless? damn a football player cant even slam the ball down in the NFL anymore or even make a damn muscle without a complaint wtf is the world coming to????

Comment

Nah,
      Everyone that is aware of Crawford's existence likes him.

He is not similar to Mayweather, and even if he tried to be it wouldn't work out for him.

The success that Mayweather and Pacquaio had in the careers on PPV is going to be very hard for any fighter to duplicate. They were great but timing and luck also had a lot to do with it.

The market is simply not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Maybe, but I'd bet against it.

For sure people love a dog & at a certain point if you are too good it seems like people love to watch you fall from that hands down best around status you've reached. Seems like that happens in virtually all sports. I think most high level P4P boxers with undefeated records (in the non-lil guy divisions at least) reach that status sooner or later if they keep winning big fights for a respectable period of time.

Paying to see that guy lose isn't a very deep category that I've seen. Floyd is the model most people know. Fury could be the next guy to takeover that market. Ali was the old school version. Jack Johnson might be the all time greatest of haters (or probably better descibed as racists) paying to see him lose. Guys like Hector Camacho might've have a lil niche market with his journeyman fights in his later years. But all in all not a whole lot of guys reach that status. And very few "good guys" reach that status & rightly or wrongly Arum always wants his guys to be promoted as good guys despite in TC's case some Broner-like tendencies outside the ring from stories I've heard & the police blotter headlines that suggest he could be a good villain (like Kovalev) if promoted in such a way that would probably be better for his bank account long term.
        No I get it, I just see Crawford kinda being boxings version of Jon Jones. I dont think he will ever reach the Floyd Mayweather status of villain BUT like Jon Jones (pre-controversy) people mistook his confidence as arrogance and his pride as ****iness. Again I dont see Crawford being a deliberate villain, I just see him being very confident and him liking to fight so much has him already having people calling him a thug. Also I think Crawford will get a lot of haters if he beats up an old Pacquiao (good guy), no matter what Crawford will have to embrace the bad guy role.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I don't think you necessarily need a gimmick to be a PPV guy, but it only helps you if you do. And I'm hoping all you guys saying PPV is going down &/or maybe out eventually are right, but I tend to think people are making too much of the transition period we are in with big stars & with Floyd & Manny gone (or more or less gone in Manny's case I guess).
          Floyd needed a gimmick because he was great and wasn't selling. TC is selling in Nebraska big time and the crowd atmosphere is great. I think some of that crowd will travel.

I do not think he will ever get to Floyd/Tyson level ticket prices.

We will know a lot more once the PPV sales are released. If this fight somehow manages to do 200k then TC is gonna be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            I don't think this past weekends ppv will do to well BUT I do see a ppv future for TC. Haters are fans too and he is just that good. Eventually people will pay to hopefully see him lose, just like all the casuals that put $ in Floyds bank account to hopefully see him lose, TC will eventually get the same. Thoughts?
            Yes. Because he's BLACK. You nailed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              No I get it, I just see Crawford kinda being boxings version of Jon Jones. I dont think he will ever reach the Floyd Mayweather status of villain BUT like Jon Jones (pre-controversy) people mistook his confidence as arrogance and his pride as ****iness. Again I dont see Crawford being a deliberate villain, I just see him being very confident and him liking to fight so much has him already having people calling him a thug. Also I think Crawford will get a lot of haters if he beats up an old Pacquiao (good guy), no matter what Crawford will have to embrace the bad guy role.
              well we do know certain fighters are not allowed to have confidence or think they are great, they will use his confidence against him at some point

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Floyd learned from the WWE, that villains can be very profitable and that people can have great interest in seeing someone lose if you build them right. It's sometimes even greater than the desire to see someone else win.

As to whether Bud will tap into that is an interesting possibility. If he fights and beats Pac, he'll likely be thrust into that position where people want to see him beat.
                but the thing is the WWE guys were play acting like bad guys froid wasn't

Comment

Originally posted by stuff jones View Post
                  Yes. Because he's BLACK. You nailed it!
                  Not gonna lie, it helps but not totally necessary. Shane did alright with just a big smile. If TC can gain the notoriety of Shane Mosley, thatd be a $ucce$$ful career, Tc just needs to learn from Shane, its cheaper to keep her...

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                    how about the stuff roach and postol said before the fight? why was that swept under the rug? so him taunting a little is classless but no mention of the cash money sh* they were talking????? was that classless? damn a football player cant even slam the ball down in the NFL anymore or even make a damn muscle without a complaint wtf is the world coming to????
                    what about it??? crawford's team was also talking. "built up to the fight" as a lot of you guys put it, so whats wrong with that?

that is completely different than what crawford was doing in the 12th round sticking his tongue out. and aint nobody is complaining about it. you made a post implying that soon people will start to say he's a clueless thug in the ring and im just pointing out to you that what he did will help him get there faster.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                      Exactly...people wanted to see floyd lose cuz he acted like a dick. That was by design.
                      no it wasn't that was the real froid

Comment

Working...
                      X