Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Crawford keeps winning, people will pay to see him lose...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawford's style is nowhere near that of Floyd's generation in style or the backing of a more powerful HBO. At this time Floyd picked apart Gatti far more masterful than the Lundy or Postol bout, and that was all inside the pocket game. I don't see Crawford being great like Floyd PPV numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
      i think bob prefers his guys to be the hero nice guy
      Agree with Hanz. Also people need to understand that Floyd was a unique period in time. He played villian because ODH was the Hero. Once that worked he played off of Shane, Cotto, Hatton and Manny, guys who had been marketed a certain way.

Being the bad guy or being the "villian" played against the "good guy" was far more profitable and cool then it is currently. it was a time when 50 was big in hip hop, Kobe was the man, Brady was proving he was better then Peyton etc.

I don't think PPV is as big anymore so you don't need a gimmick like Floyd. Crawford should just be himself and tell Bob to market him that way. He'll be fine as long as he performs like he did Saturday night.

Comment

I love when fans think their hate makes a impact on the sport. It really doesn't matter in boxing if you're the good guy or the bad guy you will always have guys against certain fighter not necessarily because of Race or Religious but simply because that guy could be a thread to another guy they like more which is usually the case. That is why it is a difference between "Boxer Fans" and Boxing Fans". Most are here for 1 fighter and once they guy get exposed they all fade away I've seen so many fanbase come and go on this forum it is not even funny anymore. Be a fan of the SPORT, learn more about the sport than just "POWER". Crawford has show he can basically win ANYWAY HE WANTS. What separates him from a lot of the younger fighters if the ability to adjust in the fight, similar to the "Hated One" Floyd Mayweather, he collects that date within the first 3-4 Rounds then once he figures you out he complete DOMINATES. Other than a Lucky Punch, Skill for Skill he is going to be hard to beat. I don't see nobody beating him at 140, his toughest competition would be Rances Barthelemy who is not at 140. I would LOVE to see that one day but of course Barthelemy has to work his way up. Sergey Lipinets could also end up being tough competition for him, it really depends on how long he stays at 140

But the Crawford hate and him being accused of ducking is inevitable!
        Last edited by sicko; 07-25-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Maybe, but I'd bet against it.

For sure people love a dog & at a certain point if you are too good it seems like people love to watch you fall from that hands down best around status you've reached. Seems like that happens in virtually all sports. I think most high level P4P boxers with undefeated records (in the non-lil guy divisions at least) reach that status sooner or later if they keep winning big fights for a respectable period of time.

Paying to see that guy lose isn't a very deep category that I've seen. Floyd is the model most people know. Fury could be the next guy to takeover that market. Ali was the old school version. Jack Johnson might be the all time greatest of haters (or probably better descibed as racists) paying to see him lose. Guys like Hector Camacho might've have a lil niche market with his journeyman fights in his later years. But all in all not a whole lot of guys reach that status. And very few "good guys" reach that status & rightly or wrongly Arum always wants his guys to be promoted as good guys despite in TC's case some Broner-like tendencies outside the ring from stories I've heard & the police blotter headlines that suggest he could be a good villain (like Kovalev) if promoted in such a way that would probably be better for his bank account long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Floyd learned from the WWE, that villains can be very profitable and that people can have great interest in seeing someone lose if you build them right. It's sometimes even greater than the desire to see someone else win.

As to whether Bud will tap into that is an interesting possibility. If he fights and beats Pac, he'll likely be thrust into that position where people want to see him beat.
            I agree, he will get a lot of haters if he beats Pac in dramatic fashion. After that, TC needs to build off that villain roll.

Comment

He will be a classless thug who is classless in the ring in no time just watch

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                I don't get that with Crawford. He's humble, doesn't make diva demands and goes for the kill when it's there. I think he will be a likeable champion.
                Exactly...people wanted to see floyd lose cuz he acted like a dick. That was by design.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  I agree, he will get a lot of haters if he beats Pac in dramatic fashion. After that, TC needs to build off that villain roll.
                  i disagree. pac is done. even if TC beats pac in a dramatic fashion, it will only boost his popularity instead of him getting hated on. people hated floyd because of the pac rivarly because they were supoose to fight eachother. TC will not have this with pac.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    I don't think PPV is as big anymore so you don't need a gimmick like Floyd.
                    I don't think you necessarily need a gimmick to be a PPV guy, but it only helps you if you do. And I'm hoping all you guys saying PPV is going down &/or maybe out eventually are right, but I tend to think people are making too much of the transition period we are in with big stars & with Floyd & Manny gone (or more or less gone in Manny's case I guess).

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                      He will be a classless thug who is classless in the ring in no time just watch
                      well he's getting there acting the way he did in the 12th.. even got max kellerman mad at that lmao!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X