No announcement yet.

What Makes a Class A Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes a Class A Fighter?

Title says it all. Just curious because I see a lot of B/C level jabs thrown out at fighters who I think are clearly A level fighters. It just seems that a lot of folks on this forum only think their guys are A level for whatever reason.

Anyways to get the ball rolling.

1. Raw talent.

2. Dedication to the sport, aka staying in at least decent shape when not fighting.

3. Ability to impose your style on your opponents and make them fight your fight. This does'nt have to mean the most skilled or technecally sound.

4. Ability to adjust to your opponent when something is'nt working for you or something is working for them.

There are more, obviously, but like I said just looking to get the ball rolling.

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
    Title says it all. Just curious because I see a lot of B/C level jabs thrown out at fighters who I think are clearly A level fighters. It just seems that a lot of folks on this forum only think their guys are A level for whatever reason.

Anyways to get the ball rolling.

1. Raw talent.

2. Dedication to the sport, aka staying in at least decent shape when not fighting.

3. Ability to impose your style on your opponents and make them fight your fight. This does'nt have to mean the most skilled or technecally sound.

4. Ability to adjust to your opponent when something is'nt working for you or something is working for them.

There are more, obviously, but like I said just looking to get the ball rolling.
    Most idiots here don't know what an a or b level fighter are. They throw around these letters only to degrade a fighter they hate.
    I've read threads where morons have said Pac was C level.

Comment

Running, elbowing, clinching. If you can effectively master those you're an elite fighter. Otherwise you're a limited face first brawle like Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano Jack Johnson Sonny Liston M.Ali and Mike Tyson.

Elite is Floyd Mayweather Pernell Whotaker. That's pretty much it.

Comment

boxing skills, great resume, the ability to sustain success over a long period of time

Comment

Elite is above A - Floyd is in that category.

A level fighters - Manny, Cotto, GGG, Ward, Kovalev

B level fighters - Canelo, Bradley, Khan, Thurman (A potential though)

C level fighters - Berto, Broner, Guerrero

D level fighters - Angulo, Kirkland, Soto Karass

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
            Elite is above A - Floyd is in that category.

A level fighters - Manny, Cotto, GGG, Ward, Kovalev

B level fighters - Canelo, Bradley, Khan, Thurman (A potential though)

C level fighters - Berto, Broner, Guerrero

D level fighters - Angulo, Kirkland, Soto Karass

But why do you classify them where you do? I mean I disagree that Bradley is'nt an A level fighter considering his skills, and resume.

Comment

In my opinion, A level fighters are guys around the top 10 in their division.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                But why do you classify them where you do? I mean I disagree that Bradley is'nt an A level fighter considering his skills, and resume.
                By their skill level and resume like anyone else. But if you have an insanely high skill level then your resume can be lacking a bit (GGG). The opposite is true as well in that while you don't pass the eye test with flying colors, the resume has to be respected.

Bradley is a sloppy fighter but he has heart and a determination to win second to none. But he's not A because he went life and death with Provo and I don't think his technique is great. I also see him losing to guys like Thurman, Mayweather and lost to Manny. That takes you out of the A class for me. I could be sold on him being an A class fighter possibly, 147 is stacked at the moment so it's hard to judge that division like the others.
                Last edited by Beater_of_ass; 05-12-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

There are of course variables when it comes to each fighter so you will never lock in a definitive class sheet but the way I characterize them is
                  A class -tops of their division. They usually have long rap sheets of great fighters they have beaten or they have short lists(but in those fights they left no doubt they were superior). They are usually dangerous in more than one way and have good adaptation (some are of course better than others)
                  B class- Also great fighters but for some reason they have always lost (the big one). They are multifaceted as well but they tend to never reach the very top (or havent been given the chance too) and they are usually out of their depth when they face a true elite.
                  C class - Dangerous fighters but they have flaws that are usually very exploitive from the A and B class although they can pull an upset on a B level fighter thats slippin. They are usually a little on the limited side but they tend to excel on their preferred style.
                  D class- gatekeeper class.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
                    By their skill level and resume like anyone else. But if you have an insanely high skill level then your resume can be lacking a bit (GGG). The opposite is true as well in that while you don't pass the eye test with flying colors, the resume has to be respected.

Bradley is a sloppy fighter but he has heart and a determination to win second to none. But he's not A because he went life and death with Provo and I don't think his technique is great. I also see him losing to guys like Thurman, Mayweather and lost to Manny. That takes you out of the A class for me. I could be sold on him being an A class fighter possibly, 147 is stacked at the moment so it's hard to judge that division like the others.
                    Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X