Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creationists Criticize Neil deGrasse Tyson’s ‘Cosmos,’ Want More Airtime For Religion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
    I will say this; In no way, shape or form do I want to criticize atheist (whether on this board, or guys in the mainstream).

Creationist, literalist, or whatever they call themselves are solely responsible for the embarrassing believes that have. Not just that, but instead of reflecting on their believes, they refuse to consider alternatives or even re-examine what it is they believe in or what the bible actually states.

With that said, I love DeGrasse Tyson and he is a personal role model. I can't figure out why he even waste his time with these creationist. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they are so annoying and try so hard to interfere with his work that he has no choice but to address them.
    We already did that. That's why we're atheists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
      Lets pretend for a second that the bible does say that man has only been on earth for 6k years. If you have no time frame of how long each creative day was, then it is impossible to predict the age of the earth using the scriptures.

Anyone who claims that, or tries to say that the earth is only 6k years old is completely ignorant of what the scriptures are saying and those individuals should not be taken serious.
      That's fine, you are a reasonable person who quantifies his beliefs with science, I get that. You also can't deny there are people who are literalists who take the Bible as the word of god and if it's in the book, it has to be true.

The god in the Bible when creating the universe could have chosen 1 day as a billion years, or 1 day as a day, who knows what they meant.

Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
      I will say this; In no way, shape or form do I want to criticize atheist (whether on this board, or guys in the mainstream).

Creationist, literalist, or whatever they call themselves are solely responsible for the embarrassing believes that have. Not just that, but instead of reflecting on their believes, they refuse to consider alternatives or even re-examine what it is they believe in or what the bible actually states.

With that said, I love DeGrasse Tyson and he is a personal role model. I can't figure out why he even waste his time with these creationist. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they are so annoying and try so hard to interfere with his work that he has no choice but to address them.
      The reason he wastes his time with creationists, is to expose their ridiculousness and take an opportunity to teach people what is really true.

They really aren't interfering with his work personally per say, but when there's a giant museum in Kentucky that teaches kids that humans hung out with dinosaurs, that's doing serious damage to children. You can't teach these nonsensical things and expect them to have the same opportunities in life.

Comment

• Another great episode. That **** blew me away of how the light spectrum can tell us what things are made of. How everything has it's own light signature.

The show is simple enough for kids to enjoy it and informative enough for adults to learn something.

Comment

• Havent seen the latest one.
          Epidoe 4 was good, but the previous one, which went into Newton and how his book got published was more of a history lesson than a science show.

Im used to less theatrical documentries, without the need for so many special fx. I still cant get used to Tyson's acting. I think the whole spaceship flying through the universe thing is unnecessary. But i guess it is entertaining for some.
          I prefer Brian Cox's shows in the uk. He breaks down science really well, and just talks to the camera naturally.

Comment

Working...
          X