No announcement yet.

The Alien Film Series is Essentially a Feminist Film, But it Works

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alien Film Series is Essentially a Feminist Film, But it Works

The main protagonists in all of the Alien films from the 1979 version to the Prometheus and Covenant series have been women. However, no one cares or minds this fact or looks at it with any disdain for the simple reason that the female hero wasn't created with the primary purpose of lecturing society about feminism and the need to explain how strong and capable women are. I think the female hero in these movies was created from a more pure idea of feminism and the movie didn't intentionally attempt to highlight its virtue of doing so like so many do today.

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
    The main protagonists in all of the Alien films from the 1979 version to the Prometheus and Covenant series have been women. However, no one cares or minds this fact or looks at it with any disdain for the simple reason that the female hero wasn't created with the primary purpose of lecturing society about feminism and the need to explain how strong and capable women are. I think the female hero in these movies was created from a more pure idea of feminism and the movie didn't intentionally attempt to highlight its virtue of doing so like so many do today.
    Hells no. Stuff like the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is more feminist esque straight up. Ridley Scott's original was a mix of good actors it that just ended up with the last "man" standing to make the plot seem vulnerable. Like having a woman survive in space is like old school Hitch**** suspense.

It was James Cameron that just totally flipped innovation with female leads cause he was initially that grimey special effects artist that didn't care for cliche...from Sarah Connor, the female in the Abyss, to Ripley... Cameron is one of the coolest mofos of the century to really drive female roles. He took Ripley to a whole other level that Hitch**** would've loved!! Wouldn't call it feminism. Give Cameron his props bro. He's a great story teller out of the cliche woman's role. Silence Of the Lambs was another great one imo, non feminist, just great Suspense leads in a female role

Comment

No-one has a problem with movies that have female leads. They judge the movie on its own merits. Which is exactly what normal, sane people should do.

I rank Aliens as one of the best movies of all time. Certainly I'd say that in the genres of sci-fi, action, horror it is simply the best. The Terminator movies were also extremely good.

Another recent movie which I thought was really well done, that had female leads, was Frozen.

I don't think anyone bats an eyelid at a female lead. What they don't like is when a movie is made with a female lead to prove some kind of point.

A movie should be an excellent and compelling story, not an aggressive ideological lecture disguised as a story.

I think this explains the backlash against the Ghostbusters remake. Idiots tried to say that the backlash was caused by sexism. That's total bull****. People are fine with female leads. They resented that an established and loved franchise was being toyed with just to teach them some kind of misguided lesson.

Essentially, feminism fucks everything.

Ironically, the movies which have strong female leads without is being part of some kind of ideological agenda - like the Alien, Terminator and even Frozen type of movies - would be doing a better job of normalising equality than ham fisted crap like the Ghostbusters reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomasexual View Post
        No-one has a problem with movies that have female leads. They judge the movie on its own merits. Which is exactly what normal, sane people should do.

I rank Aliens as one of the best movies of all time. Certainly I'd say that in the genres of sci-fi, action, horror it is simply the best. The Terminator movies were also extremely good.

Another recent movie which I thought was really well done, that had female leads, was Frozen.

I don't think anyone bats an eyelid at a female lead. What they don't like is when a movie is made with a female lead to prove some kind of point.

A movie should be an excellent and compelling story, not an aggressive ideological lecture disguised as a story.

I think this explains the backlash against the Ghostbusters remake. Idiots tried to say that the backlash was caused by sexism. That's total bull****. People are fine with female leads. They resented that an established and loved franchise was being toyed with just to teach them some kind of misguided lesson.

Ironically, the movies which have strong female leads without is being part of some kind of ideological agenda - like the Alien, Terminator and even Frozen type of movies - would be doing a better job of normalising equality than ham fisted crap like the Ghostbusters reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomasexual View Post

Yes, exactly my point.

Comment

I don't care,, they are good movies. I don't think it's over the top feminist, just strong female leads. It's not some whack job lliberal over the top anti-man crap,,, it's just strong female leads

Comment

it gets boring when females are only waiting to be saved or crying or being killed off. but its hard to find a convincing lead female role where shes not the damsel in distress.

long kiss goodnight, with geena davis and sl jackson, was a very good example of a strong femme role.
              obviously sarah connor, trinty (the matrix) and ripley.

most times they come off trying too hard to be badasses.

Comment

Working...
              X