No announcement yet.

my 401k is down 18% this year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
    Investing is just the safer cousin of gambling. That's it. You can lose your money doing both but one is safer long term.
    Hmm. Gambling, you probably lose money. Investing you probably make money. But yes you can lose money at both.

But stay in the stock market long enough, history, shows that you will make money not lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      They don’t actually call it a “401k” in Ireland, do they?
      Somebody slipped up.

Comment

Diversify and don’t look at it lol

Comment

My property investments are up 12% this year, 110% over the last seven. But that market may drop drastically in the next couple years. If it happens I will try to sit tight and ride it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
            Hmm. Gambling, you probably lose money. Investing you probably make money. But yes you can lose money at both.

But stay in the stock market long enough, history, shows that you will make money not lose it.
            Listen dude. I seen it all. I seen professional gamblers. I also seen people hit the lotto, I also seen people losing everything in stocks. You don't remember enron? I seen a lot of people lose half of their 401k. It's what ever you want but nothing is guaranteed.

Comment

Diversify, invest as much as you can and you will be fine. People get into trouble via speculating for quick gains or putting too many eggs in one basket...that’s gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
                Listen dude. I seen it all. I seen professional gamblers. I also seen people hit the lotto, I also seen people losing everything in stocks. You don't remember enron? I seen a lot of people lose half of their 401k. It's what ever you want but nothing is guaranteed.
                yea investing in single stocks is essentially gambling. That's why some lose it all. Mutual funds are the way to go.

Yea people "lost" half of their 401k but "gained" it back plus a whole lot more. Those words are quoted because you only really lose if your sell. If you didn't sell then you never lost anything.

I agree with you that nothing is guaranteed and in essence, even the stock market with mutual funds is a gamble.

Comment

Working...
                X