No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Boxing World Should Take Tyson Fury Seriously

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The Boxing World Should Take Tyson Fury Seriously

By Michael Rosenthal - All the talk about a superfight between Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder before and after Joshua's knockout of Alexander Povetkin last Saturday is understandable. It probably is the biggest possible matchup in the sport today. We're jumping the gun, though. Wilder has a significant challenge directly in front of him and it isn't Joshua: The WBC heavyweight titleholder...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Fury is as good as his last bout with Pianeta.

Wilder will knock him out.

Comment

In retrospect, Klitschko was an ideal opponent for Fury. He hadn’t lost in 11 years but was 39 at the time. More important, he had a predictable fighting style – jab, right hand, jab, right hand, with a lot of clinching and leaning thrown into the mix.
      I thought that was why he beat Wlad too. But Wilder is more of a puzzle and as unpredictable as Fury. I can't imagine Fury watching Wilder tapes and taking away a template for victory. This is what makes this fight so intriguing; you can't predict what they'll do on the night.

Comment

Highly trained boxers don't do off the rails for three years ballooning in weight and bingeing on drugs and booze without paying a price. There is very little evidence that Fury has recovered his fomer level and he hasn't fought a good enough opponent to test his powers. However there's a lot of evidence that he's finished, mentally and physically as a top level fighter. I think any top 5-10 hw could be too much for 2018 Fury. Wilder will annihilate him.

Comment

Wilder scores a C for boxing skills but an A- for athleticism and an A+++ for power. Until he meets someone with A level boxing skills and at least B level athleticism then he starts as favorite Fury has maybe B+ boxing skills and C/B athleticism. In my opinion of course. So Wilder should lose points but then score a come from behind TKO.

The only other scenario possible is if either boxer changes style. Could Fury sit down on his punches more? Could Wilder set traps/fight of the back foot? I don't believe either boxer will change a winning style and neither, especially Wilder, have enough boxing IQ to make game-changing adjustments.

Could Fury stay away from Wilder's power all 12 rounds? Theoretically yes but I don't see it just because of Wilder's athleticism plus his reach [Cunningham is athletic but lacks size/reach].

Comment

"I learned long ago that the more talented of two combatants usually wins. And Fury might be the more talented than Wilder, who remains a work in progress. Fury might be too skillful and clever for Wilder, which could more than compensate for whatever advantages Wilder might have."

Anybody writing about professional sport should be able to distinguish between skill and talent. Wilder somehow still being a "work in progress" (after 40 odd fights) explains his lack of skill but has nothing to do with his lack of talent. He's a bloody awful fighter who's only got away with it for this long due to the atrocious level of competition he's faced, and his power. He's an embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by fladz View Post
              "I learned long ago that the more talented of two combatants usually wins. And Fury might be the more talented than Wilder, who remains a work in progress. Fury might be too skillful and clever for Wilder, which could more than compensate for whatever advantages Wilder might have."

Anybody writing about professional sport should be able to distinguish between skill and talent. Wilder somehow still being a "work in progress" (after 40 odd fights) explains his lack of skill but has nothing to do with his lack of talent. He's a bloody awful fighter who's only got away with it for this long due to the atrocious level of competition he's faced, and his power. He's an embarrassment.
              In which case the real achievement has been the selection of his opposition as being either second rate or past their best. Is there any evidence to suggest that Fury departs from that pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                I thought that was why he beat Wlad too. But Wilder is more of a puzzle and as unpredictable as Fury. I can't imagine Fury watching Wilder tapes and taking away a template for victory. This is what makes this fight so intriguing; you can't predict what they'll do on the night.
                Fury will be scared and he will get rag dolled like bermin stervain

Comment

Damn that was brutal AF

Comment

You DKSAB

Comment

Working...
                    X