Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the champions in each division should be mandated to fight each other

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional boxing should have tournaments like the amateurs aswell. And one major champ per division would be great with a few interim belts so the sanctioning bodies can still be satisfied. But yeah im afraid we'll never get that

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
      It should be a rule that you HAVE to fight the other champs and then once a fighter gets all the titles then mandatories can come about...It should be the best vs the best period..the champs fight each other with the rest fight o get the right to challenge the true champ.
      I agree, Wilder would have had to face Klitschko and he could have retired before he fought Jennings with all the belts and we wouldn't have this current bum masquerading as a champion.

Comment

It sounds good, but the reality with boxing is there are giant structural problems with it. Like who's gonna "mandate" all the champions fight each other who has any real bite? How do you create a entity that has that level of power to mandate things? Those are the first things that need to be ironed out before anything gets on the path to being improved in boxing on any regular & consistent basis.

Comment

It's a nice dream that will probably never happen.

Comment

Should be less belts. It's never been a good idea to have 68 world champions and then count the interim's and "regular" champions and it's close to 80-90. It waters things down. Of course modern fighters are going to have fought and beaten more champions than "anyone in history" ****. Lots of fighters with the right connections can get shot after shot and so many fake champions and certain fighters stat stuff with things like that. I mean, Broner and Leo Gamez are 4 division title holders, some guys get 4-5 shots and keep losing and keep getting them. Compare that to Charles Burley, who never got one title shot despite an all-time great career. Ezzard Charles, the goat at 175 was never given a title shot at that division. Danny Garcia has beaten more world champions than Joe Frazier!! Many more!!

I think it dumbs down the audience too and that is what some promoters prey on. In an ideal world and if I was the god of Boxing this is one of the two or three things I'd implement -

If there's 4 title holders, there's four mandatory challengers so it should be 1 - champion must schedule to fight other champion 2 - if champion is not available i.e - fighting another champion then face the mando 3 - you can get out of either matchup by fighting a champion moving up (or down) 4 - only once you've got all 4 belts and there's no champion moving up (or down) can you make mandatory defenses and then fighters would really have to earn their shot so no Berto getting multiple undeserved shots.

Now sometimes you may have to wait for an amazing fight, but much, much rarer than the politics and road blocks that are in the way these days. You'd basically have every fight going to a purse bid so no promotional beefs could stop any matches.
            Last edited by chrisJS; 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

what about the fees the fighters would have to pay for each belt? remember that crawford-indongo had to pay a lot of money for all 4 belts if i'm not mistaken

Comment

You'd have to do too many things to make it happen.
                I remember when the ABA Dr J. Joined the NBA.
                That was tough.
                AFL joining the NFL wasn't easy...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
                  I agree, Wilder would have had to face Klitschko and he could have retired before he fought Jennings with all the belts and we wouldn't have this current bum masquerading as a champion.

Tyson fury is the real heavyweight champion of the world.

ask wlad

Comment

Originally posted by PunchMeIDareYou View Post
                    This coming from a Mayweather fan...LMFAO
                    Mayweather actually unified titles at 147 and 154 and fought the best fighters so im not sure what you are on about

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      It sounds good, but the reality with boxing is there are giant structural problems with it. Like who's gonna "mandate" all the champions fight each other who has any real bite? How do you create a entity that has that level of power to mandate things? Those are the first things that need to be ironed out before anything gets on the path to being improved in boxing on any regular & consistent basis.
                      yep! thats how come it never has and never will happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X