Was Ali that great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post

What am I missing?

Abot 20 IQ points, any knowledge of boxing, and historical perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Abot 20 IQ points, any knowledge of boxing, and historical perspective.
      lefty you are being such an A hole.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        I’m watching some classic boxing during this extended stay-at-home due to the coronavirus pandemic. I’ve been watching a bunch of Ali and Foreman fights (btw Foreman-Young fight was pretty entertaining) and I’m kinda underwhelmed by some of Ali’s performances.

I’ve watched the Foreman, Frasier III, Chuvalo, Bonavena and Mac Foster fights. He let Bonavena work his way inside Of him and land a lot of clean solid shots. Up until the KO in the 15th round the fight was almost dead even.

From watching this fight (and others) its evident to me that Ali never really had an inside fight game except trying up and rope-a-doping his opponents.

Granted, these fights were after Ali’s 3 plus year hiatus and he wasn’t the same fights he was once but still he wasn’t old and too shop worn.

As I watch these fights his performances were not as great as his mythical status would indicate.

What am I missing?
        ron lyle punished him. the ref used a robbery stoppage to save ali.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I would say Ali's status as the greatest heavyweight (Joe Louis for me) is based on his sheer speed and athleticism during his first incarnation. During his second go round I think it's based on his ability to rise to the occasion and win his biggest fights. Like all boxers though, yes he was in some stinkers. No one can argue his resume though.
          he lost to a fascist journeyman. and marciano nearly killed him.
          not quite the greatest heavyweight lmao

joe louis wouldn't last 3 rounds with joe joyce and you know it.

Comment

lets say some things he did right though, he had the smoothest rythm I've ever seen of any boxer ever. He had absolutely no tell on his punches, especially his jab which explains why he seemed to hit everyone so easily, even when his legs were gone and he lied on the ropes.

His chin and heart were incredible, but he was also a master of rolling shots and taking the steam off of them.

He also beat some great fighters while suffering from Parkinsons disease. Like Duran, a mediocre version could show up in the ring and his ego and skills were so great he could still win. When he's at his best who honestly beats him?

Yeah he had no inside game and his punches weren't the hardest, but in truth he never needed an inside game, other fighters did.

His actual critiques are him fighting while sufferring from parkinsons, and also simple not training consistently or hard enough in his later years, he liked women and socializing too much.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
              He beat two monsters that were seen unbeatable before facing Ali. Sonny Liston and Foreman. That is why he is the greatest.

He was also able to come back and still beat all top guys in 70 -77. Insane.

Comment

Ali is known as the greatest. That should be enough to tell you how good he was.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfor10yrs View Post
                  Ali is known as the greatest. That should be enough to tell you how good he was.
                  Greatest heavyweight resume. Joe Louis had the longest run of dominance though and was great technically, but Ali has the resume for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfor10yrs View Post
                    - -Not modern candy TBE TUE quality though.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                      - -Not modern candy TBE TUE quality though.

English mother f u cker!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X