No announcement yet.

Pivot when throwing the jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    So much bull**** in this thread. People have no idea what the **** they are talking about.

Yes. Pivoting on your jab as you are talking about is fine.

There is not much difference in motion between a short left hook inside a right hand, and a good stiff jab.

Ive never bought into the step with your jab crap. Stepping with your jab is good for closing distance, but if you only know how to throw a powerful jab while stepping, you will be completely unable to fight while going backwards.

It really is important to be able to jab with your feet planted, and thats what pivoting on the jab is good for.
    That's why I mentioned a stepping motion, instead of a pivot because its quicker, plus it's comfortable to me. Obviously one isn't taking a step forward with every jab. If you train to step with every punch (including pivots 4 hooks) it becomes more natural.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
      Yes and no...

I am a trainer and have been for a long time. "Pivoting" on your jab is something that you should teach later on down the line with a boxer. It's a more advanced technique and should only be taught to someone who has the basics down.

Second, the "step" with the jab is ESSENTIAL in boxing. Not to say you can't jab WITHOUT stepping but what stepping does is prevent fighters from "reaching" with their jabs which is a big NO NO.

A jab should be short, crisp, with the chin tucked in behind it and if you need distance or a little power, stepping is a basic technique to achieve that.

As far as turning in with the jab, it's not necessary if you have good fundamentals and can throw the jab moving or not moving.
      I agree with some of your points, but I do think that stepping with the jab is looking to get countered unless you got him on the run. turning with the jab can give you better reach and momentum and you don't telegraph as you are already throwing the shot. I also think depending on what you are trying to do dictates how crisp or short your jab should be, if you're backing him up you wouldn't throw the same jab as if you were blinding him to throw another shot after it.

Comment

The snap jab which comes from your elbow is better than the pivot jab which comes from your shoulder. The jab is not a power punch so why try to turn into it? Unless you are a prime Iron Mike, or a left handed orhtodox fighter like Miguel Cotto, drop the old trainers jab and listen to the new one. The other guys gone and now this guy's here so **** it!

Comment

Originally posted by gerardofpr View Post
          I agree with some of your points, but I do think that stepping with the jab is looking to get countered unless you got him on the run. turning with the jab can give you better reach and momentum and you don't telegraph as you are already throwing the shot. I also think depending on what you are trying to do dictates how crisp or short your jab should be, if you're backing him up you wouldn't throw the same jab as if you were blinding him to throw another shot after it.

No dissrespect man, I don't know how long you have been boxing but how else are you going to get distance with the jab? Stepping isn't asking to get countered if you are throwing properly and tucking your chin behind your shoulder when you throw it.

Stepping with the jab is boxing 101, it's far from wrong it's basic boxing. Every great fighter steps with the jab, you can youtube any pro and they do it. The biggest reason you step with the jab is so you don't reach with the jab, THEN your asking to get countered.

Turning with the jab is something I have heard over the years but isn't something I teach. I teach amatuer fighters and I try and make them as fundamentaly sound as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by verbz View Post
            u get power in ur jab by turning ur hips. u should be turnin ur hips wid every shot
            I'm not a boxer but I have noticed if you pivot your hips regardless of the punch, you gain more power.

I like to step forward with my front foot to step into the punch but push off my back at the same time but still keep a majority of my body weight closer to my back foot so I can lean back or to the side and avoid a counter.

Flicking my jab out seems just to throw some one off because they can't see it coming while they are looking at my right which would be up by my right cheek. Appears to be faster but I think people don't see both hands at the same time because they are not in the same area. By stepping in, I actually think there is more speed and power because I get my shoulder and momentum into the punch.

Just my personal observations tho, not a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
              No dissrespect man, I don't know how long you have been boxing but how else are you going to get distance with the jab? Stepping isn't asking to get countered if you are throwing properly and tucking your chin behind your shoulder when you throw it.

Stepping with the jab is boxing 101, it's far from wrong it's basic boxing. Every great fighter steps with the jab, you can youtube any pro and they do it. The biggest reason you step with the jab is so you don't reach with the jab, THEN your asking to get countered.

Turning with the jab is something I have heard over the years but isn't something I teach. I teach amatuer fighters and I try and make them as fundamentaly sound as possible.
              No offense taken, sounds like a very good textbook explanation, but in reality, your in with a savy guy in the ring, don't have to be fast but with good timing and after a few minutes as soon as you'r picking that foot up to jab, he's throwing an overhand right or hook. In my case I rather faint and find the distance than step in with jabs. There are certain fighters you can get away with doing that, others it could be a problem.

Comment

depends me i need to pivot the jab for longer shots

Comment

Originally posted by gerardofpr View Post
                  No offense taken, sounds like a very good textbook explanation, but in reality, your in with a savy guy in the ring, don't have to be fast but with good timing and after a few minutes as soon as you'r picking that foot up to jab, he's throwing an overhand right or hook. In my case I rather faint and find the distance than step in with jabs. There are certain fighters you can get away with doing that, others it could be a problem.
                  hand should always move first!

Comment

Originally posted by hemichromis View Post
                    hand should always move first!
                    We are talking about stepping in with jabs.

Comment

I tend to pivot with it when I wanna throw power into it.

Comment

Working...
                      X