Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Chocolatito really deserve the #1 P4P Spot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finito2K View Post
    He's torn through 3 weight divisions. Keeps an active schedule all while defending his crown on the road. To boot the guy looks spectacular in each outing.

Rigo needs to get back in the ring. The longer he's inactive, the more he'll continue to fall on people's p4p lists.

As for Manny, he's lucky to even crack the list. Losses to Mayweather and Marquez far overshadow beating the likes of Algieri, Rios and Bradley.
    Lol how is he lucky to crack the list?

Bradley was the #3 P4P fighter (because he beat #3 Marquez in 2013, who had beaten #2/3 Pacquiao in 2012) behind Mayweather/Ward when Manny beat him in 2014. Ward got removed shortly after because of inactivity so he moved up to #2.

So the #2 fighter (Pac) lost to the #1 fighter (May) and for some reason because of that, the 8 other guys behind him suddenly jump over the guy? Just because he lost to the guy ranked above him doesn't bring you down below other people if they don't deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
      OR... this could be the wannabe "in the know" boxer putting RG as #1 to appear more knowledgable since they have a guy most people never watch as the top P4P guy...just saying.

And I get P4P is subjective. It also depends on what you base it on. Some guys go on accomplishments. Some go who truly the most skilled/hardest to beat which is what I do. Like Lomachenko has less than 10 fights...but he's demonstrated that he might be the most skilled boxer in the game. He really doesn't have a weakness. His amateur record has to even be factored. Yes it's subjective, but one must also be able to rationalize their list. There are multiple right answers but there are certainly some wrong ones. Not saying RG is wrong, but I don't understand how he's more deserving than some of these others.
      Sure that could be the case as well, but for us that do pay attention to the scene from 105-122 then putting Roman that high is something we can say is justified. I personally have thought highly of him on a pound for pound basis dating back to 2010 so he has continued to improve his resume since then all the while showing beautiful Boxing skills.

I have no problem w/putting (or some one else for that matter) Chocolatito at #1.

It is not my fault that other people weren't aware of him til the Sosa bout. Ya know?

Comment

P4P is an elusive concept. But he fights very regularly, which is high on my criteria. Why not give it to him?? Sure Ward was in legal battles, but I only want to focus on ring battles.

Comment

I think he's well schooled, and has beaten the best at or around his weight class. I just don't get as drawn in to fights at that weight. Perhaps I'm being narrow minded.

I don't get impressed by energy and output at those weights, because the little guys all have that in spades. Though Chocolatito (sp?) as I said is well schooled and has a good Knockout percentage so good for him

Comment

he's beaten two titlists (niida and yaegashi), two former titlists (sosa and viloria) and three fighters who won titles after being beaten by him (takayama, estrada and rodriguez jr). i consider this last category very telling in determining a fighter's quality of opposition. kovalev, another p4p fighter, has so far beaten none. neither has golovkin, although murray could change that next month. ward, like gonzalez, has three: kessler, abraham and froch. for the hell of it i checked mayweather and he currently has seven on his record by my count. pacquiao, i believe, has five (soon to be six)

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
              Just because he lost to the guy ranked above him doesn't bring you down below other people if they don't deserve it.
              He definitely ranks below Gonzalez. 11-0 since 2012, including 4 successful title defenses against world class opposition.

You can't expect to hold on to a place on a p4p list with mixed results.

Comment

Gonzalez is as good as any other pick for P4P #1.

It could be GGG, Klitschko, or Kovalev as well and I'd have no complaints.

However, it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that Andre Ward is P4P #2 based on what he's done in recent years. Paul Smith? And now Rohan Murdock?

Murdoch is a good kid and may have some potential, but Ward is being despicable to lure him over to the US to show off how he can beat an inexperienced boxer who has never fought a decent opponent before.

Comment

Originally posted by Finito2K View Post
                  He definitely ranks below Gonzalez. 11-0 since 2012, including 4 successful title defenses against world class opposition.

You can't expect to hold on to a place on a p4p list with mixed results.
                  Oh for sure. I mean if you think some guys moved ahead of him, I can agree. But to drop him completely to the bottom of the top 10 because he lost is malpractice. He was #2 before the Mayweather loss. Since that time, there's maybe like 3-4 fighters who you can argue moved past him.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                    Lol how is he lucky to crack the list?

Bradley was the #3 P4P fighter (because he beat #3 Marquez in 2013, who had beaten #2/3 Pacquiao in 2012) behind Mayweather/Ward when Manny beat him in 2014. Ward got removed shortly after because of inactivity so he moved up to #2.

So the #2 fighter (Pac) lost to the #1 fighter (May) and for some reason because of that, the 8 other guys behind him suddenly jump over the guy? Just because he lost to the guy ranked above him doesn't bring you down below other people if they don't deserve it.
                    Bradley and Marquez beat P4P #1 ranked Manny.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
                      Bradley and Marquez beat P4P #1 ranked Manny.
                      Well whatever spot he had before he lost to Marquez, he claimed it back after beating Bradley (who had taken that spot from MArquez).

Comment

Working...
                      X