Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a bad trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a good coach is ideal, of course.

But sometimes that's not possible. And that's why I wish more trainers would make instructional dvd's or sell instructional online videos.

Ray Corso could probably create a good, comprehensive boxing course if he put his mind to it.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Finding a good coach is ideal, of course.

But sometimes that's not possible. And that's why I wish more trainers would make instructional dvd's or sell instructional online videos.

Ray Corso could probably create a good, comprehensive boxing course if he put his mind to it.
      Wasnt there a guy way back who had a big training website with videos that gave step by step on boxing work in the gym?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Wasnt there a guy way back who had a big training website with videos that gave step by step on boxing work in the gym?
        There's the guy from expertboxing.com

Did you mean him?

Comment

My first boxing coach was awful. Fortunately I knew enough to recognize this before I got seriously hurt. It wasn't until I found my third coach that I finally teamed up with a coach who knew what he was doing. My advice, avoid coaches and trainers who have never been in the ring themselves. That doesn't mean every former fighter will be a good coach, but the best coaches I have known, have competed inside the ring.

Until you find that coach, there are books and video instruction out there that will have to suffice. A few decades ago, former WW champion turned coach, Curtis Cokes, put together an excellent boxing instruction book. It's out of print, but if you can find a copy I recommend it. Not a substitute for an actual coach, but it's better than having a bad coach who will likely teach you incorrect form, allow you to develop bad habits that aren't corrected, and possibly injure yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            My first boxing coach was awful. Fortunately I knew enough to recognize this before I got seriously hurt. It wasn't until I found my third coach that I finally teamed up with a coach who knew what he was doing. My advice, avoid coaches and trainers who have never been in the ring themselves. That doesn't mean every former fighter will be a good coach, but the best coaches I have known, have competed inside the ring.

Until you find that coach, there are books and video instruction out there that will have to suffice. A few decades ago, former WW champion turned coach, Curtis Cokes, put together an excellent boxing instruction book. It's out of print, but if you can find a copy I recommend it. Not a substitute for an actual coach, but it's better than having a bad coach who will likely teach you incorrect form, allow you to develop bad habits that aren't corrected, and possibly injure yourself.
            I saw that Cokes books in a second hand book store once. Should have picked it up.

Comment

Working...
            X