Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great matchups are being made now, but fans are still being robbed of true greatness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
    Thank you! Means a lot. And yeah, keep spreading the word. I don't want boxers to be put in unreasonably unsafe conditions, but so long as they don't show signs of serious injury, you have to let the fight play out to its definitive conclusion. If a boxer gets knocked down, he has until the count of 10 to get up, and if he can get up and move well enough that the opponent can't hit him again, why would you stop the fight? If he was that injured he wouldn't be able to dodge punches from an Olympic gold medalist.

Likewise with Kovalev. If he was in immediate danger he would have gotten knocked down, or he wouldn't have been able to block all of Ward's punches in that exchange except the ones that Ward slipped in under the guard on his cup where he wasn't expecting to get hit.

So I am definitely for protecting the boxers, but both of those stoppages were early. The Joshua-Klitschko stoppage was one big punch early, so just a little early depending on what happened, and the Ward-Kovalev stoppage was extremely early, but both of them may have robbed fans of truly epic championship rounds. As I said the real, historic championship rounds have already been cut out (rounds 13 through 15), so how incompetent do referees have to be to further rob fans even of the rounds that remain before the fight has reached a definitive conclusion, either on missed punches or a low blow?

And it's not just those two fights. This happens every damn time now. So why watch? The fights never live up to the hype, and then even when they finally might be on their way to doing that, the ref will just stop it right as it's about to get good. What the hell!!! No wonder boxing's ratings have plummeted. If the most exciting part of the sport is literally not allowed to take place anymore because of the refs, then why should anyone watch it? If home runs were outlawed from baseball, would half as many people watch it? No. Well this is the same kind of thing. What if you didn't have dramatic puts on the last hole in golf, and instead some official randomly said after the 10th hole or the 14th hole, or any random hole of his choosing (that's what she said...), "whoever is ahead right now is the winner," would half as many people watch it? No.

So why does boxing expect it to be different when it comes to boxing? It's so frustrating to the point where even I wish I had never gotten interested in the sport to begin with. If I had known the sport was this broken at its foundations, I wouldn't have, and I even tell anyone who asks me, do not start watching boxing, the sport is broken. So if big boxing fans like me are advising my friends not to watch the sport, that should tell the boxing establishment that they have a broken product and they need to fix it if they want fans to return to the sport.
    Long a$$ post bruh, but im totally with ya. I made several post about those fights as well, esp with kov-ward fight.
    It helps a lot too if ur not a fan of just one boxer, but of boxing as a whole.
    Everyone got robbed. Including the winners, with joshua being the least of em.

Comment

Make Boxing Great Again!

Comment

Kovakev and Klitschko were both getting KO'd. The ref saved them from concussions so they should be thanked and not criticized.

Comment

Working...
        X