Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Pac/Floyd is still a relevant fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Pac/Floyd is still a relevant fight?

Simple enough question really. Personally I believe Pac/Floyd is still the best fight to be made at 147, barring a 5th stanza with Marquez. Why? Pacquiao got KTFO, I hear you say. Well because style wise, no one comes close to giving Floyd the hell Pacquiao would. It's as simple as that really. One legitimate loss in 7 or so years does not mean that Pac is now a nobody or someone no longer worthy of being on Floyd's radar.

Look at Roberto Duran or Tommy Hearns, they were both KO;d and yet were still relevant and top level fighters who fought the absolute best for a decade or more after. Pacquiao and Floyd is in my eyes still THE fight for teh welterweight championship of the world. Obviously I won't be picking Manny as the winner as I would have done 3 years ago but Floyd knows, Martinez excluded, this is the guy who will give him the fight of his life.
    Yes
    43.75%
    No
    56.25%

The poll is expired.

As relevant as a VCR

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
      Simple enough question really. Personally I believe Pac/Floyd is still the best fight to be made at 147, barring a 5th stanza with Marquez. Why? Pacquiao got KTFO, I hear you say. Well because style wise, no one comes close to giving Floyd the hell Pacquiao would. It's as simple as that really. One legitimate loss in 7 or so years does not mean that Pac is now a nobody or someone no longer worthy of being on Floyd's radar.

Look at Roberto Duran or Tommy Hearns, they were both KO;d and yet were still relevant and top level fighters who fought the absolute best for a decade or more after. Pacquiao and Floyd is in my eyes still THE fight for teh welterweight championship of the world. Obviously I won't be picking Manny as the winner as I would have done 3 years ago but Floyd knows, Martinez excluded, this is the guy who will give him the fight of his life.

Pac avenging his losses to Bradley and Marquez in KO fashion and Mayweather beating both Guerrero and Canelo in 2013 would put May/Pac right back on track in 2014. But both fighters are slipping and either could get beat at this point, imo...so who knows.
      Last edited by jimboinbigd; 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
        As relevant as a VCR

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
        Co-sign here!!

Comment

couldn't care less.

both fighters ageing, pacquiao just got brutally ko'd by someone a league below Mayweather (at 147 pounds). Outcome is so obvious, Pacquiao is losing interest in boxing...

Comment

sleepy-head is a joke at this point......he tried to cherrypick and got his ass utter destroyed.....i loved watching every second of it too, so **** him. i could care less about a floyd-pac fight right now. floyd has better fighters he can fight after a guerrero fight like trout, canelo or martinez.

Comment

I voted yes. It is not near as big as it was before Pacquiao's last three fights and Floyd does not have to fight him or face criticism. It is still a big fight and a big moneymaker. It would be even bigger if Pacquiao gets a good win. If Pacquiao were to defeat Marquez clearly then the fight would be almost as big as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post

no... because of the way pac lost.

Comment

Floyd has never minded fighting people with up to 10 losses on their record, but usually as long as you won your last fight you are on Floyds radar.

So if Pac wins his next fight, then Floyd will surely want Pac if he thinks Pac is used enough.

But not as relevant as it once was, but people will still want to watch. Sometimes as boxing fans you take what you can get. Holyfield vs Tyson, Tyson vs LL etc etc.

Comment

Very good points Mr Grant. I'm curious, what do you guys think about the relevance of the fight in terms of legacy? Some people have mentioned that Floyd doesn't need it anymore. But why not? When Floyd was at the 147lb division, Pac, for about 3 years was the p4p best and yet for various reasons the fight did not happen. Pacquiao has had his defining nights against Barrera, Morales, Marquez, DLH and Cotto. Floyd's "defining" night was over a decade ago against Castillo. None of the prime, close to opponents, IMO are on the same level as Pac's prime or close to prime opponents. Pac has more championships and more HOFers under his belt. Surely Floyd needs Pac, even now, I think he needs him more than Pac needs Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                    X