Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto Ring Return Being Positioned For June 24

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotto vs. Andrade! Make it happen! Please?

Comment

Cotto will be coming off of the longest layoff of his career by the time he gets back. They haven't been able to secure an opponent becauser there isn't a big enough draw to warrant a major payday without risking an L. RocNation unfortunately got itself in a bind when they tried to act like Showtime with Floyd by offering Cotto a staggering amount of money by signing with them and now they're scrambling to find lucrative opponents. The way I see it is the following:

1. Re-engage with Kirkland. Winnable fight for a layoff, put a co-feature bout in there and guaranteed action with the main event in the Garden before the PR day parade=$$$$

2. Juan Manuel Márquez=marketable name, PR/Mexican rivalry, beatable considering Cotto being the bigger guy and a bigger puncher against a very hittable, much older, highly inactive, fighting out of his weight class Márquez. It would be akin to Jones, Jr./Tito Trinidad, only difference is that the PR fighter would be favored. Maybe Cotto cuts him some slack and only makes him blow up to 150. Joke of a fight really and I honestly don't see Márquez taking the bait.

3. Timothy Bradley=also beatable but the guy doesn't have a huge fanbase. Also, like Márquez, he'd be fighting out of his weight class. Bradley being younger and a little bit more active, Cotto would perhaps make him go up to the full 154. Bradley's power by then will have dissipated. Less money, but the leadt riskiest. That's my take on it.

None of them are opponents that's going to put Cotto on the pound for pound list, but if it were me, Kirkland would've been a great action fight, decent money, and a win over a good middleweight puncher.

Crossing my fingers for something good. If they make something questionable like Cotto/Martirosyan, I might just throw up in my mouth a little.

Comment

Cotto/Margarito 3, anyone?

Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
          Cotto will be coming off of the longest layoff of his career by the time he gets back. They haven't been able to secure an opponent becauser there isn't a big enough draw to warrant a major payday without risking an L. RocNation unfortunately got itself in a bind when they tried to act like Showtime with Floyd by offering Cotto a staggering amount of money by signing with them and now they're scrambling to find lucrative opponents. The way I see it is the following:

1. Re-engage with Kirkland. Winnable fight for a layoff, put a co-feature bout in there and guaranteed action with the main event in the Garden before the PR day parade=$$$$

2. Juan Manuel Márquez=marketable name, PR/Mexican rivalry, beatable considering Cotto being the bigger guy and a bigger puncher against a very hittable, much older, highly inactive, fighting out of his weight class Márquez. It would be akin to Jones, Jr./Tito Trinidad, only difference is that the PR fighter would be favored. Maybe Cotto cuts him some slack and only makes him blow up to 150. Joke of a fight really and I honestly don't see Márquez taking the bait.

3. Timothy Bradley=also beatable but the guy doesn't have a huge fanbase. Also, like Márquez, he'd be fighting out of his weight class. Bradley being younger and a little bit more active, Cotto would perhaps make him go up to the full 154. Bradley's power by then will have dissipated. Less money, but the leadt riskiest. That's my take on it.

None of them are opponents that's going to put Cotto on the pound for pound list, but if it were me, Kirkland would've been a great action fight, decent money, and a win over a good middleweight puncher.

Crossing my fingers for something good. If they make something questionable like Cotto/Martirosyan, I might just throw up in my mouth a little.

Good post, a lot of my thoughts you pointed out. It has been a mess. But we'll see what comes out of this. Hopefully as you say, something good to look forward to.

Comment

Kirkland deserves a payday, high octane fighter with spate of bad luck

Comment

Originally posted by tommyg6 View Post

Lmao

Lol, I was thinking about Margacheato also. It would have to have a stacked undercard for it to be PPV. If that was to get made before the Marquez fight. Cotto would destroy and obliterate Margacheato in a 3rd fight. It would be poetic justice. Billy Joe Saunders says if the Triple G fight doesn't happen that he wants Cotto. Not a lot of choices though, a lot of fighters at or near Cotto's weight are booked with fights right now.

Comment

Cotto vs Khan! big money fight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  man i'm still pissed that cotto/kirkland fight got cancelled

me and 5 homies had $200 seats already bought for that ****
                  The only way for Miguel to shut up the haters will be to FINALLY take on Brian Sutherland. Miguel's been ducking that guy for too long.

Comment

Miguel is very much in a dilemma of his own making. I don't think he should re-engage with Kirkland, though. There's too much of a risk that something would derail that fight (again) and Miguel has very little time to lose.

I don't think Marquez would fight Cotto in JMM's first fight back....though if Marquez's new lawsuit is any indication, perhaps he needs one last major payday and doesn't want to risk a tune-up fight to get it. (Of course, if Marquez is motivated by money, why not fight Pac? I think the answer to that is that he's motivated by legacy too...and he would rather lose to Cotto than tarnish his KO of Manny by potentially losing to him in a fifth fight.)

Even though Bradley does not have much of a fan base, this is still a credible fight. Perhaps RocNation would be willing to take a bath on this match-up if Cotto were willing to sign or offer RocNation an option on a one-fight extension.

Khan could solve the money problem with his fan base. I'm not sure that Khan would be willing to come up to 154 after getting blasted at 155...but who knows. Canelo is much bigger at "155" than Cotto is at 154.

As much as I would like for Cotto to take on what might be considered a legacy-enhancing challenge here (i.e., a young gun at 154, GGG, etc.), I don't think he can afford to take on significant risk after such a long layoff. If Cotto fights GGG next, then I think it's Cotto's last fight.

In any event, it's kind of a tough time to be a Cotto fan. Despite a losing effort, he did well against Canelo... but did absolutely nothing with any momentum he might have generated from that performance.
                    Last edited by bigjer88; 03-30-2017, 11:52 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by tommyg6 View Post

Lmao
                      As pointless at that match-up is, it would be fun to watch a Roach-trained Cotto beat on that heavy bag with legs.

Comment

Working...
                      X