No announcement yet.

Old posts where sparring partners discuss sessions vs Heavyweight GREATS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old posts where sparring partners discuss sessions vs Heavyweight GREATS

I've gone ahead and tried to cut out all the posts by the sparring partners. I did not put which poster/sparring partner it was, so understand the difference when one quote has a guy saying he's never sparred Tyson, and the next one the poster starts talking about sparring with Tyson (for instance).

I think there is a lot more posts by these guys elsewhere with more elaboration on the sparring, I just can't remember where it is.

http://a-j-s-boom-boom-room.2299399....td4090601.html

On Riddicks, Lewis, David Tua, Holyfield, Foreman, and Klitschko:

Hello everyone. I'm a friend of AJ's from another forum. I used to box professionally from time to time, but nowadays I still spar. I've sparred with many legends. AJ asked to me describe what it is like to be in the ring with them and gauge their punching power. I will not reveal my name for personal reasons, but under anoymousity I feel a bit safer. If you want to know my identity send me an email, but I doubt you've heard of me anyway. I only had three professional fights.

I fought Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe as an amateur.

Riddicks power wasnt memorable to me. It probably got better as he got older, cause he never even remotely buzzed me in either of our contests.

Lennox hit like a ****ing tank. He cowed me; I won the first round, and he literally broke my spirit and took my soul with a right uppercut and straight right hand in the 2nd. I tried to stay away, and forgot to punch. He never got me quite as good again, but I will never forget those two punches. When we sparred years later, he hit very hard. Distinctly unpleasant to be hit by the man.

David Tua was unpleasant. I can't see myself getting stopped by him early, as he never really staggers me, but every shot hurt, and he'd bang. Every other guy I ever sparred would box when I got aggressive, but David would stand his ground and give. I'd get these horrible headaches after sparring with him, and Dave told me once that whenever he knew I was on the dance card, he'd drink extra water for his brain. Nice guy. Hit like a wrecking ball. David Tua hit hard enough to knock my headgear clean around my face. Dude had a pretty limited style, but that left was quick as a cobra when he was sharp, and boy did it have bite. Having sparred them both, Wladimir would school Tua and probably turn out his lights. He just lacks almost any sort of refinement to his violence. Granted, I don't really either unless I'm really, really on that day, but the best heavyweights I've sparred handled me a lot easier than David did.
    Feels kinda bad critiquing the dude, though. He's a fun guy, super hospitable and friendly, hit like a truck and put me through plenty of painful paces. I only hope our careers and lives don't end up with me required to face him with 12's and no mask. I can't afford the surgery.

Evander Holyfield was a machine gun. He put me on my butt first round we ever sparred with a 7 or 8 punch volley. He just punched well; He'd move around and when he let them go, they hit, hard and fast and in large numbers. He was the weakest of the group since Bowe, but probably the most dangerous. He never found me difficult to find, and turned me into a bobble head more than once.

George Foreman was tricky. His jab was absolutely numbing-Ive never felt a jab like that, where your whole face would feel like it got novacained after he hit you with it. He'd also throw light punches primarily, almost pitty pat, till he had the opening, and then he'd wallop you. His punches had the most force; They didn't hurt any worse than Tua or Lewis, but I remember how badly they'd screw with my balance. His shots moved me. He also broke my nose with a straight right.

Wladimir Klitschko hit me by far the hardest, though. I couldn't get past the jab, and his right hands hit like thunder. They reminded me of Lewis', but they were quicker and sharper. Wladimir staggered me regularly in sparring. There are literally whole rounds I don't remember. He also knocked me out with a left hook. Not down, out. Only time in my life I've seen canvas and not been able to stand up by 10 seconds.

Any other questions about these men, don't hesitate.

On Douglas, Frazier, and Bert Cooper:

Buster Douglas was lazy. I used to do really well against him. I was shocked when he knocked out Mike Tyson, as was the rest of the world. He was moving good, throwing double jabs and throwing some solid combinations and big punches. I didn't know he had it in him!!! He was not the same guy I used to beat up in the gym everyday.

I met Joe Frazier when he was an older gentleman, so naturally I never sparred with him. But I could tell that he trained Smokin' Bert Cooper. Bert stayed on me and didn't give me any chance to compose myself. Unlike prime Frazier he threw right hands, too. He hit hard. He routinely knocked out his sparring partners and I was one of the few to never get knocked out by him, although he put me on the canvas twice. Of course Bert was not as good as Joe Frazier (not even close) but fighting him was a mere hint of what I imagine it would be like to fight Smokin' Joe--the constant pressure, body shots, huge power, etc.

My style? I'm about six feet, four inches. 230 pounds.

I try to cut the ring and land my right hand, working behind the jab. People have said I look like a big, slow Shannon Briggs, but unlike Shannon, I generally don't get aggressive until I have my man hurt.

On the toughest, best, and greatest of all time:

These are some great questions.

The toughest: Either Wladimir or Evander Holyfield. Wlad hurt me with every punch and I could never get anything going. He's the only man to knock me out. I'll never forget that left hook. Lennox had a great left hook too but chose to throw it in combinations. Wlad would crack you with it without warning.

Evander Holyfield is tough enough to beat anyone. He counters every mistake you make and always hits you off balance or with a string of effective shots at once. He recovers really quickly too. Evander was tough and full of surprises. He's one of the best fighters of all time and I felt that just from sparring with him.

The Best?: That is hard to say. I will say that Lennox Lewis deserves his praise as one of the greatest of all time. He could crack you with either hand and break your confidence. He had such long reach that we spent entire rounds where I couldn't get near enough to land a finger on him but he was comfortably plugging me with his jab from what felt like across the ring. I could rarely get close enough to land anything on Lennox and when I did he would crack me with that uppercut. He was dangerous to fight and could do it all. Brawl, slug, box, counter, everything. Lennox, Wlad and Holyfield are the best I fought but old George Foreman was a terror, too. So was Bert Cooper when he kept his head on straight.

Greatest of All time?: Muhammad Ali from the things I've heard and seen. Joe Frazier and Joe Louis were terrific fighters as well. I'd have to throw Lennox and Evander into my top ten as well. Wlad is good but I think other heavyweights would toy with him.

Prime Tyson and Prime Holyfield? I think Evander had Mike Tyson's number. I never sparred with Mike, and I might be a bit biased because he was an ******* to me but Evander knew how to deal with Mike's style. Evander used to regularly spar with men like David Tua and Gary Bell, both men who were clones of Mike Tyson. Evander also conquered Ray Mercer, another Tyson-esque heavyweight. There isn't a style around that Evander Holyfield couldn't adapt to and beat.

@KB50MJ. Yes, Wlad could crack. Hard. With men like George Foreman and David Tua it was more of the force of the punch than the punch itself. Their punches have a similar feel. To be fair I regularly sparred with the old versions of both but old George was tons better than old Tua: George had better ring generalship, a powerful jab and set you up with combinations or for a big knockout shot. David Tua was predictable and easy to figure out but can knock out anyone. I feel bad for critiquing David because he's such a nice man. A real teddy bear.

I try to check in once a week at least so keep the questions coming.

On Lewis vs Holyfield:

Duggerman wrote
    You said once that you sparred with Holyfield in the early 90s and in the late 90s after the Tyson rematch. You told me once that he used you to prepare for his title unification bouts with Lennox Lewis. Talk to us about those sparring sessions and your reaction to the controversial "draw" and the exciting rematch.
    Yes. I'm 6'4 and a half. Not as tall as Lennox but similar in size and range. Evander used me and a few other tall fighters who could mimic Lennox's style. Evander was very sharp when I worked with him but I had to leave camp early because my daughter was being born. When I was there Evander beat me up like he usually did but I heard from some others that in the months after I left Evander was complaining of cramps and arthritis. He was 36 years old and it seemed that his age was beginning to show. The closer to the fight, the worse it got.

He was unusually arrogant in the weeks before the fight saying he would KO Lennox in the 3rd round. That was out of character for him but he told me later that Lennox made him really mad because he called him a hypocrit for being a christian but having so many children out of wedlock. That is one of Evander's buttons right there.

I watched the fight live at the arena and Evander did not look good. Evander looked stiff and slow in the first two rounds but he plays possom a lot. I figured he gave away the first two rounds to conserve energy and murder Lennox in the third. He failed to do it and Lennox controlled the rest of the fight with ease. He accidentally stunned Evander in the 5th with a punch to the back of the head but didn't finish him fearing Evander was setting him up for a trap as he had with Michael Moorer two years prior. As I watched the fight progress it was clear that Evander was over the hill. He didn't have the speed to get to Lennox and couldn't get around Lennox's long jab and reach.

I was pissed off when the fight was a draw but Evander was promoted by Don King. Go figure. The only person on the air who came out and said the obvious was Roy Jones Jr. This was Don's second time screwing Lennox Lewis because he hired a fake referree to help Oliver McCall steal the title from Lennox in 1994.

I didn't work with Evander for the Lennox rematch but from what others told me, Evander was losing his skills. They planned to drain Lennox's strength by jabbing him in the body. I watched the fight and the strategy worked. Evander couldn't fight with Lennox all three minutes of each round so he had to dive in, attack and then escape. Evander turned it into a WAR! Having shared the ring with both, prime Evander would beat prime Lennox. Watch the rematch and see old Evander take it to prime Lennox. Lennox was huffing and puffing and hated those body attacks. He barely made it out alive! Prime Evander would have been busier and got the knockout.

When I watched it live I had Evander winning but when I finally watched tape of the fight in 2006 I changed my scoring and saw that Lennox won.

More on Lewis, George, and Wlad

Sorry friend. I don't give out my email address and made up an email to register to the forums I post on. I guess the one I use for this place expired. Whats your question?

@Maneater. Good question. I must say that Lennox Lewis is an absolute killer. He's good, he's long, he's strong, he hits hard, and he'll get in your **** and dig through to daylight. Poised, athletic, and confident. He punched in combination, worked off an effective jab, and he was so sneaky with his uppercuts. It was just hard to keep him off you, or off balance. I'd have to say Lennox was the best. He took me places nobody else ever has, and he's the puzzle I could never solve all that well. He could be countered...And my left hook was always effective for that. But the more I looked for it, the more rights over the top came back. Hell.

George was slow. He was strong as a mule, he hit hard, amazing jab, but he had one gear. Damn near impossible to back up, but he'd follow you. That was the ticket to beating him; Get off target, move, and box.

Wlad hits so hard. Amazing jab. Great boxer. But he doesn't work on the inside, he holds, and he rarely hammers the body. More infuriating to fight then flat out difficult, and I think that is sorta the trap he springs; He could knock out anything human with that right hand, and the left hook isn't fun either. He also hangs on the back of your head with his left hand when you get low...He can straight up throw you with one hand. Maddening.

On Tyson vs Foreman:

Prime Tyson would have KO'd old George in my opinion. Duggerman posted a link in another thread from twitter when a fan asked George about facing Tyson and George says he glad the fight never happened and that "the boy could punch." Here is a link to the thread and twitter conversation.

http://dugger-s-ranch.2299399.n4.nab...tp3876944.html

Mike was in jail when I used to work with George. We didn't talk about him much but to be honest George only called out Mike because Mike was the champion. When Michael Moorer and Evander Holyfield were the champion he called them out also. But in my honest opinion old George would be KO'd by young Tyson and I'm glad that fight never happened.

As for power, its a tough thing to gauge because people hit differently. I never sparred with George when he was young and he was a different kind of puncher when he returned to boxing. He'd throw pitty pat punches to lure you into an exchange or close enough for him to knock you dead. His jab alone would knock you across the ring when he laid into it.

Tyson was sharper, quicker, more explosive, had the proper shoulder snap and all that. Tyson, Lennox, Wladimir; these are guys that hit you and you're suddenly unconscious. You see a flash of white and then find yourself waking up on the ground or out on your feet.

But for George it was pure, unadulterated power. He never knocked me down but he's got the type of power that when he hits you, you go numb and all of a sudden the ground catches up to you. For Tyson its the snap, strength, speed and accuracy that gets you. For Foreman, its massive force. Two different kinds of power.

George hurt like hell when he was an old man so I shudder to think how hard he hit in his 20s.

On Mike Tyson

I sparred with Mike Tyson for a few weeks in early 1986. I was 28, he was 18. The kid came to fight! Each and every damn day. I used to go to bed with headaches and bruised ribs more often than I care to remember. I'd go home to my wife with black eyes, bruised ribs, etc and she'd say "A kid did all this to you???!!" And I was like "He don't punch like no damn kid!!" One time Mike broke my nose. He's one of the hardest punchers I've ever trained with. I worked with James 'Bonecrusher' Smith too and he hit a little harder than Mike but Mike landed those bonecrushers far more often than James would. Every punch hurt. The money was real good, a couple hundred a week, but it's not worth it to come home to your wife and kids and they don't recognize you and you're always sore and in constant throbbing pain all over your body. I see Evolution is a mysterious cat but I'm not. The name's Steve Russell. Get at me on here or shoot me an email. I got plenty of stories about Mike. steverussell4.0@outlook.com

Extra:

Wow this place is like a reunion. I know you Steve. I'll email you my contact info. Another guy you're familiar with, Jimmy (Bad Intentions) is on these boards too. We all need to meet up and have a drink sometime.

I never sparred with Mike but I saw what an animal he could be in the gym. Fortuneatly most of the big punchers I sparred with were often lazy (Bert Cooper, David Tua) or took it light most days (George Foreman, Wladimir Klitschko, Lennox Lewis).

For me it was Evander Holyfield who went to war almost every single damn time. I used to dread the thought of getting it on with him because he always put me through my paces. He worked like a damn pack animal and turned my head into a bobble head doll all the time, even flooring me the first time I sparred with him. Jesus. Great friend to this day but not in the ring.

Mike was never really too nice of a guy but I witnessed him putting grown men to sleep when he was as young as 15. He really had talent.

Comment

More on Tyson:

I didn't expect so many questions! I don't mind. I can joke about those days now. But back then wasn't a damn thang funny.

1) Where would you rate Mike's handspeed? At the top of the hill, man.

2) Did he have the fastest hands of anyone you fought/worked with? By far. No one comes close, even some of the cruiserweights I worked with. He would hit you in the blinking of an eye. You couldn't see the blows coming.

3) How tall are you? 6'2

4) What weaknesses did Mike have? Don't keep me wrong. Mike always came to war! But he was moody and could be withdrawn. Sometimes if you sparred him late in the day after the other guys he'd be a little winded and not as aggressive at the start of the day. But he always hurt and always came after you! His pace just slowed a little later on.

5) Who is that bad chick in your avatar? Julie Cash. That's my boo right there.

6) Who else did you spar with other than Mike and Bonecrusher? Pinklon Thomas, Carl The Truth Williams, James Quick Tillis, Mike Acey, Michael Dokes and a couple others. The only huge name is Mike Tyson.

7) Do you agree with the opinion that Mike struggled with tall fighters? Absolutely. The problem was that most guys were intimidated and scared of getting hit so they grabbed him and held on for dear life! I saw it a lot. But if you're confident in your long wingspan you could make it hard for him to get close and land his blows. It's scary no matter what because the kid would cut the ring on you no matter how much you run. He was a skilled counter puncher too. He looked more aggressive than he really was. He rushed you but waited for you to miss a punch. That's when you die. But knowing what I know and saw I'm confident that skilled and tough tall boxers like Lennox Lewis would beat him. Maybe Vitali Klitschko too. They would make Mike uncomfortable and frustrate him. But someone like Jess Willard who doesn't know how to use his reach effectively would be gunned down. I was frustrated when I watched Mike fight Kevin McBride because Kevin wouldn't have lasted a round against the Tyson I sparred with.

8) Did you ever get a good lick on Mike? No. Never anything meaningful. I landed on him a few times but I never hurt him. He was too busy hurting me! Like I said earlier you were scared to swing at Mike because when you miss you pay for it. His headmovement made him hard to hit anyway. The dude was like a tornado coming right at you and you're helpless.

9) (This question was via email) Describe Mike Tyson's power? Man words don't do it justice! Bonecrusher Smith hit me so hard I'd go numb. But his big blows only landed here or there. Mike landed those big blows every chance he got! And they were even more devastating because A) They were so fast that you couldn't see them coming and B) They were counters so you were wide open, off balance and vulnerable. Game over.

10) (Via email) Did Mike Tyson ever knock you out? Numerous times. He generally knocked out two men a day.

Any more questions I'm available to answer anytime.

On Oliver McCall:

Corfu622 wrote
      Evolution, did you ever spar with or hear any stories about Oliver McCall? I understand he was one of Tyson's most valued sparring partners (he reportedly paid him $2000 per week because he would virtually absorb everything he threw at him and keep coming). We all remember him for his shocking upset victory over Lennox Lewis to win the WBC title, and his subsequent meltdown during their rematch 2 years later, but I think he really may have been one of the most under-rated heavyweights of the '90s. He beat Holmes (albeit narrowly) in his first title defense, knocked out former champions Henry Akinwande, Oleg Maskaev, Bruce Seldon and Francesco Damiani, and lost competitive decisions to Tony Tony Tucker, Buster Douglas and Juan Carlos Gomez. He also admitted once in an interview that he has never been knocked down or knocked out (unless you count the Lewis stoppage) in his career, professional, amateur or in sparring. Apparently he's still active at 48 years old -- have you ever met him or seen him around the gym? How would you rate him as a fighter?
      I have met him several times. In my honest opinion he is not very good. He's durable but not a great fighter.

Another guy here (Brooklyn's Finest) used to spar with Mike Tyson in '86 and knows McCall better than I do. I had already moved on from the Cus D'Amato camp by the time Oliver arrived.

More on Tyson again:

I was there early in Mike's rise so back then it was only around $500-700 a week. It wasn't until a month or so after I quit that it went up to a couple thousand a week. Ain't that a *****!

Duggerman wrote
      What was the atmosphere like in the training camp? I imagine that Team Tyson was a focused bunch, especially with Kevin Rooney at the helm and guys like Steve Lott and Jay Bright in the mix. Tyson wasn't showing any signs of going out of control that early was he? And what were some of the things Kevin Rooney wanted Mike to work on the most?
      No Mike was cool around me. The atmosphere was laid back. They were all business though. Kevin was really hard on Mike about throwing combinations and body punches. There were times Mike would throw one punch at a time and head hunt. Kevin had to stay on his ass about those things.

Comment

Awesome thread. Green K

Comment

Excellent reads! Thanks!

Comment

hey awesome more please!

Comment

Since Tyson is one of my favorites, I've gone ahead and found more. Just as people expected, Rooney was a big influence on Mike Tyson's fighting.

More on Tyson:

Strategies sound good on paper but that's it. On paper. I sparred with Mike in 1986 as he approached his peak. He hurt. And he's faster than you believe, even faster in person. He was magic in the ring. Pure magic. In his prime I don't hesistate to say he was the greatest of all time disregarding Muhammad Ali.

On Wlad vs Tyson

Evolution wrote
              I trained with both. Wlad would always pose problems for Tyson. But in '96 he would win without question. Mike's heart wasn't in the game anymore.
              Agreed. But 12 rounds is a long time. Wlad would get sloppy at one point and if Mike takes advantage it's over right then and there. Wlad has a better chance against 30 year-old Mike Tyson but 20 year-old Mike Tyson beats him. With a weak chin like that, Wlad better not make a single mistake.

On Tyson and Rooney:

Mike's goal in sparring when I worked with him was to win. Kevin stayed on him about head movement and head hunting.
              Tyson vs Frazier

Good debate here. Most guys were scared of getting hit by Mike so naturally you back away from him when he's coming at cha. Kevin always wanted Mike to be prepared just in case he would ever fight anyone brave enough to come at him with the same aggression so there were guys that would do that. Mike punched too hard for each of them. He'd knock them out easy.

Mike was being honest in the post-fight interview after the Mathis fight when he said "I'm the best at that style of fighting. I knew every move he was going to make." Mike was right. He was just caught off guard that night. Who expected Buster to come at Mike like that and maintain the pressure? Not me, and even so, Mike was still winning the fight easy. The accurate Mike Tyson from 10 years prior would have KO'd him in the first round instead of the 3rd.

Joe Frazier was certainly the busier fighter on the inside but Mike had more in his arsenal and Joe would get knocked out. Unlike the guys that hurt Joe like Bonavena, Chuvalo, Ramos, etc, Mike would be sure to finish him. This would come down to Frazier fighting a bigger, stronger, quicker but less hyper version of himself.

Tyson vs Ruddock

Urban Legend wrote
              Mike was headhunting bigtime.
              The Mike Tyson in the Razor Ruddock fights is the same Mike Tyson we sometimes sparred with. Kevin stayed on his ass about body shots, head movements and combinations. When I heard that Kevin was fired I already knew Mike would resort to fighting reckless like this.

Tyson vs Tall guys with long reach

Someone suggested that I throw my 2 cents in here since I used to spar with Mike.

The guys with long wingspans/reach and weren't afraid to use it would always give Mike a lot of problems. I'm comfortable picking Lennox Lewis, Muhammad Ali, prime Larry Holmes, or Vitali Klitschko over prime Mike Tyson. Wladimir would be a tough fight but his chinny chin chin would lead to his downfall against Iron Mike. But no, I can't picture Mike beating someone big and who knows how to keep distance and a long jab in his face. Mike got winded and discouraged late. He only has one knockout after the 10th round and that was Jose Ribalta. Someone greater than Jose would have beat him. Pinklon Thomas was beating Mike up with the jab too. Imagine what Klitschko, Ali, Lewis or Holmes would do. Even a drug addicted Pinklon Thomas can do well against prime Mike surely those legends would do better.

Comment

one final bump

Comment

Anyone know who this guy actually is?

Comment

Working...
                  X