No announcement yet.

Strategy to beat a tall counter puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy to beat a tall counter puncher

I was looking at different amateur boxing videos of people around my weight class in random states and I came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0RKmTHqTpo

The short guy seems to have good technique but sloppy foot work.

The taller guy has his chin in the air and only throws straight punches but can dodge punches pretty well which throw the shorter guy off.

Sorry if this is posted on the wrong section.

you gotta draw him out with good feints, counter him. make him give up that reach by him coming to you.

also, attack by getting low with the straight right to the ribs/belly under his jab, bring the hook right after. then mix the lead rights to the body and to the head once you land a couple.

use his tallness to get under his jab and then stick jabs in his belly, follow up to the head.

if you get to the inside than stay there and work, if he grabs you than wrestle him around so that the ref clearly sees him holding.

if none of that works........ than bust him in his nards.
    Last edited by Rockin'; 09-28-2015, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      I was looking at different amateur boxing videos of people around my weight class in random states and I came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0RKmTHqTpo

The short guy seems to have good technique but sloppy foot work.

The taller guy has his chin in the air and only throws straight punches but can dodge punches pretty well which throw the shorter guy off.

Sorry if this is posted on the wrong section.
      Hey dude.

There are thousands of strategies to beat a taller opponent. It all depends on the type of fighter you are.

The worst mistake the shorter fighter can do is stand still and cover up / put the earmuffs on. The clearest way to beat a taller fighter is to out box him and confuse him. Shorter guys can work well at close ranger but fights mainly held on the inside are usually closer, especially in the amateurs.

Mayweather vs Corrales is the perfect example. Floyd used foot speed, faints, lead hooks, jabs to the body and lateral movement to confuse the hell out of Corrales. If you're trying to out box the guy, like Floyd did, you have to pot shot. You can throw the occasional 2/3/4 punch combinations but so often that your opponent expects it.

1) Stay out of range.
      2) Get in range and land a shot/s.
      3) Get out of range as soon as possible with an exit plan.

Floyd jabbed to the body, ducking low, making it almost impossible for Corrales to hit him coming in. Then Floyd started setting up lead hooks by fainting the jab to the body. It's all about confusion and speed. But this is just one way.

Comment

Working...
      X