Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the Kovalev deal to fight on ESPN was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Kovalev's perspective, he'll be a big underdog in the rematch, but if he comes out on top there is Gvozdyk on the Top Rank while there would have been Beterbiev on the DAZN side. I wonder if Bivol stays with HBO.

Comment

DAZN picked the wrong guy lets be honest here and Bob Arum recently said that about them trying to build up DAZN in the US with a British Guy which is stupid if you think about it

Comment

Maybe we do not see it now, but the future is streaming, not cable.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post

DAZN picked the wrong guy lets be honest here and Bob Arum recently said that about them trying to build up DAZN in the US with a British Guy which is stupid if you think about it
          Eddie is a slick talker. Look how he’s got the Brits. Made no sense to try to break into the US market with a guy who never has but somehow he convinced them he was the man for the job. His biggest signings so far? Two Euros.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            I dont blame her, why would she have kovalev fight on some obscure mobile app that nobody knows about?

Eddie Hearn screwed up, he made a horrible move to try and break into the usa market, he should have struck a deal with hbo and make that.
            Probably right.

i do believe something something like DAZN (maybe not DAZN specifically) is the future of sports viewing, but it's quite a way off yet.

it'll take a long time for a streaming service to acquire enough rights for major sports and people happily pay for it. it's much easier for a music or TV streaming service to pick up content rights than it is for sport.

Comment

Again, I'm sure the money was great but these established fighters with names aren't going to want to fight on a start up streaming service with hardly any subscribers. ESPN is pretty much as big of a platform as there is minus terrestrial television so easy decision for Duva.

So what is exactly Barry's role with Matchroom boxing? He also was the one who met with Finkel a month or two ago and just sent him an e-mail two weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                I dont blame her, why would she have kovalev fight on some obscure mobile app that nobody knows about?
                The money.

Kovalev vs Alvarez II not getting picked up by DAZN said to me maybe Hearn is bsing about the money he gots in his hands right now cuz how else does he not outbid ESPN for that fight?

Or Kathy is delusional about how much time Kov has left in this game & its better to take short money for more people seeing him with ESPN then more money for less people seeing him with DAZN. And that could be a reality cuz Kathy don't know her assh#le from a hole in the ground in this business despite making some moves any B+ troll on Boxing Scene could do with Kovalev on their roster.

Comment

Hearn got 2 more deals to be announced for a total of 16 more cards. Sure he'll appreciate the concern of the usual suspects though

Comment

He pissed somebody off looks like they're freezing him out. He's got no one to blame but himself for declaring war without having a grasp of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                      He pissed somebody off looks like they're freezing him out. He's got no one to blame but himself for declaring war without having a grasp of the situation.
                      He just underestimated how small of a platform DAZN is in the States. Money is great, but no one would be able to raise their profile on that streaming service. At least not early on. Hearn needs to continue signing good fighters with no names and build some prospects and then in a few years if he gets the six year option extended, then make his move. No one who has other good options will want to fight on a unproven concept, just not happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X