Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Rock more popular than Stone Cold during the Attitude era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the Rock more popular than Stone Cold during the Attitude era?

Maybe because it's Southern California instead of redneck Texas, but everybody at my Junior High was nuts over the Rock during 2001 and 2002.

No. But Rock did fill the void when Steve Austin was hurt. But all you have to do is look at Steven Austin vs The Rock at WM17 to see who the crowd was behind.

Comment

Austin was probably the biggest wrestling draw of all-time when he was active. The Rock did carry the company when Austin had his long term injury circa 2000/01-ish, but wasn't quite as popular.

The Rock is among the top 5 draws of all-time though, and to have 2 of the biggest superstars at the same time, at the peak of pro-wrestling was what still gives me a nostalgic turn to tune in now and again to the current stuff, but it just doesn't resonate anymore.

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
      No. But Rock did fill the void when Steve Austin was hurt. But all you have to do is look at Steven Austin vs The Rock at WM17 to see who the crowd was behind.
      While i agree that Austin was indeed more popular, you have to remember that WM17 was in Austins territory, Texas.

Comment

Steve Austin was the biggest draw in WWE History. The Rock carried the company when SCSA got injured in 2000/2001.

Rock was more successful than Austin outside the WWE ring.

Comment

No...just a level below

Comment

not a huge wrestling nerd but always figured stone cold was the attitude era.

stone cold and kane are my two favorite wrestlers of all time. 2001 kane was the best version imo. badass attire, entrance, physique. it's a *****ing travesty where his gimmick went.
            Last edited by John Barron; 08-21-2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Like others said, Rock was only "the man" when Austin was injured and gone for over a year (1999-2000).

Once Austin came back, he was clearly #1 in the fans' eyes.

Also, I don't recall Austin getting any boos when he was a face. Hogan, the Rock, and Shawn Michaels all got some boos from the crowd when they were supposed to be the face of the company. Cena got booed by 50% of the audience and Roman Reigns gets booed by 80-90% of the audience.

Comment

no...............

Comment

The ultimate warrior, Hulk Hogan, Macho man, Undertaker , HHH, Sean Michaels, Brett Hart, and the Dudley Bros were my favorites.

Bit the Rock is my favorite after wrestling wrestler. He is way better as an action hero than he was as a wrestler. Movies are his true calling.

Comment

I was in junior high during the peak Attitude years 97-00 and no one had bigger pop in pro wrestling than Stone Cold. I remember we would randomly try and hit guys with the stone cold stunner in the hallways before/after lunch, and during gym.

SCSA had one rival (pop-wise) at that time IMO, and it was Goldberg during his "undefeated" run

Comment

Working...
                    X