Pinklon Thomas
    Tony Tucker
    Tyrell Biggs
    Tony Tubbs
    Michael Spinks
    Frank Bruno
    Carl Williams
    Buster Douglas

Assuming Ali beats them, if that's what you think, how much difficulty would this line up pose to him and how does he do against these guys?

Based on Larry Holmes' performances against some of those, Williams and Thomas probably would have been the biggest challenges for Clay. Speaking from a stylistic point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
      Based on Larry Holmes' performances against some of those, Williams and Thomas probably would have been the biggest challenges for Clay. Speaking from a stylistic point of view.
      ^^^^ Fully agree with this.

Comment

I think Tucker and Douglas and Spinks may also prove to be challenges as well, especially since Ali wasn't a big puncher, but I think he could be favored over all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
          I think Tucker and Douglas and Spinks may also prove to be challenges as well, especially since Ali wasn't a big puncher, but I think he could be favored over all 3.
          I certainly don't see any of them coming even close to beating him. A lot of these guys were kids in the amateurs during Ali's prime and they developed styles inspired by Ali. A poor man's Ali isn't gonna beat the real thing.

Comment

I certainly don't see any of them coming even close to beating him. A lot of these guys were kids in the amateurs during Ali's prime and they developed styles inspired by Ali. A poor man's Ali isn't gonna beat the real thing.
            Ali in his prime was a huge heavyweight for his time and that played a lot into his success. When Ali became fully developed physically at 6'3 210-212 pounds, he started to dominate. But he had already been fighting for 4 years. When he was weighing in the 190's, he was winning, but he wasn't beating the best of the best.

Well, those men would not be at the size disadvantage that many of prime Ali's opponents were. In fact they'd be bigger and in a HW Spinks case, as big. And all at their best were highly skilled. And Ali wasn't a big puncher. Ali would likely win, but I don't see him plowing through skilled big men.

Comment

Ali conquers all. A shorter career would be the main difference.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Ali conquers all. A shorter career would be the main difference.
                When do you think he should have stopped?

Comment

"When Ali became fully developed physically at 6'3 210-212 pounds, he started to dominate. But he had already been fighting for 4 years. When he was weighing in the 190's, he was winning, but he wasn't beating the best of the best."................Really?
                  Who fights the "best of the best" in their first 2 years?

Ali fought under 199 for 2 years not 4 and in his third year he was fighting Jones, Cooper and Liston.

Ali is a superior boxer to anyone that Tyson faced in the 80's.
                  I think at his very best Douglas could put up a good fight against any heavy.

Ray

Comment

Styles make fights... I got 85 smashing Li... I got big George stopping Tyson... I got me in a hotel room in Tokyo with two wimmin march of 1990 as Douglas got a long cold, then he stopped Tyson...

Comment

Working...
                    X