Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-Paying Trade Jobs Sit Empty, While High School Grads Line Up For University

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Paying Trade Jobs Sit Empty, While High School Grads Line Up For University

Like most other American high school students, Garret Morgan had it drummed into him constantly: Go to college. Get a bachelor's degree.

"All through my life it was, 'if you don't go to college you're going to end up on the streets,' " Morgan said. "Everybody's so gung-ho about going to college."

So he tried it for a while. Then he quit and started training as an ironworker, which is what he is doing on a weekday morning in a nondescript high-ceilinged building with a concrete floor in an industrial park near the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

Morgan and several other men and women are dressed in work boots, hard hats and Carhartt's, clipped to safety harnesses with heavy wrenches hanging from their belts. They're being timed as they wrestle 600-pound I-beams into place.

Seattle is a forest of construction cranes, and employers are clamoring for skilled ironworkers. Morgan, who is 20, is already working on a job site when he isn't at the Pacific Northwest Ironworkers shop. He gets benefits, including a pension, from employers at the job sites where he is training. And he is earning $28.36 an hour, or more than $50,000 a year, which is almost certain to steadily increase.

As for his friends from high school, "they're still in college," he said with a wry grin. "Someday maybe they'll make as much as me."

While a shortage of workers is pushing wages higher in the skilled trades, the financial return from a bachelor's degree is softening, even as the price — and the average debt into which it plunges students — keeps going up.

But high school graduates have been so effectively encouraged to get a bachelor's that high-paid jobs requiring shorter and less expensive training are going unfilled. This affects those students and also poses a real threat to the economy.

"Parents want success for their kids," said Mike Clifton, who teaches machining at the Lake Washington Institute of Technology, about 20 miles from Seattle. "They get stuck on [four-year bachelor's degrees], and they're not seeing the shortage there is in tradespeople until they hire a plumber and have to write a check."

In a new report, the Washington State Auditor found that good jobs in the skilled trades are going begging because students are being almost universally steered to bachelor's degrees.

Among other things, the Washington auditor recommended that career guidance — including choices that require less than four years in college — start as early as the seventh grade.

"There is an emphasis on the four-year university track" in high schools, said Chris Cortines, who co-authored the report. Yet, nationwide, three out of 10 high school grads who go to four-year public universities haven't earned degrees within six years, according to the National Student Clearinghouse. At four-year private colleges, that number is more than 1 in 5.

"Being more aware of other types of options may be exactly what they need," Cortines said. In spite of a perception "that college is the sole path for everybody," he said, "when you look at the types of wages that apprenticeships and other career areas pay and the fact that you do not pay four years of tuition and you're paid while you learn, these other paths really need some additional consideration."

And it's not just in Washington state.

Seventy-percent of construction companies nationwide are having trouble finding qualified workers, according to the Associated General Contractors of America; in Washington, the proportion is 80 percent.

There are already more trade jobs like carpentry, electrical, plumbing, sheet-metal work and pipe-fitting than Washingtonians to fill them, the state auditor reports. Many pay more than the state's average annual wage of $54,000.

Construction, along with health care and personal care, will account for one-third of all new jobs through 2022, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. There will also be a need for new plumbers and new electricians. And, as politicians debate a massive overhaul of the nation's roads, bridges and airports, the U.S. Department of Education reports that there will be 68 percent more job openings in infrastructure-related fields in the next five years than there are people training to fill them.
    Read the rest here

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018...or-university?

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    In Silicon Valley, many companies hired people, foreign guys they could exploit,big time, while American dudes just wanted to be hired, and not unemployed ...... that’s it brother.... sad ****..

Comment

Sounds kinda like me.

I dropped out of college to focus on my career in high tech, and I'm making a ton more than I'd have made had I finished college as planned.

Hell, I was already making more than people doing the job I was in college to train for when I started the high tech job.

Back to your post, one of my Economics teachers taught us that as a higher percentage of kids went to college in order to be white collar workers, wages for certain blue collar jobs would rise.

It's simple Supply and Demand, and labor is a commodity.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
        Back to your post, one of my Economics teachers taught us that as a higher percentage of kids went to college in order to be white collar workers, wages for certain blue collar jobs would rise.

It's simple Supply and Demand, and labor is a commodity.
        Or maybe we could give tax cuts to companies that hire white collar workers. That way they'll hire more people because they have more money, right?

Comment

Or maybe we could give tax cuts to companies that hire white collar workers. That way they'll hire more people because they have more money, right?
          I don't play Gotcha!, and that's a non sequitur anyway.

Feel free to try again, but like an adult trying to engage in rational discourse.

If you try again, just address what I said. A hint, I never cited tax policy.

Comment

Im glad i joined a trade

Comment

This has been going on for years and it's getting worse. Part of it I think is people don't want to do jobs that are too physically demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
                This has been going on for years and it's getting worse. Part of it I think is people don't want to do jobs that are too physically demanding.
                That's not it at all. It's that schools and parents are pushing every single kid to go to college. Young adults today aren't afraid of physically demanding work. And technology in the trades has taken on a lot of the physically demanding labor.

High schools have to stop teaching every child that college is for them. These trades need to be taught in high school. By the time a kid is a senior the schools should have a pretty good idea if they're college material or not.

Comment

That's not it at all. It's that schools and parents are pushing every single kid to go to college. Young adults today aren't afraid of physically demanding work. And technology in the trades has taken on a lot of the physically demanding labor.

High schools have to stop teaching every child that college is for them. These trades need to be taught in high school. By the time a kid is a senior the schools should have a pretty good idea if they're college material or not.
                  I agree with this. When I graduated high school, a trade never crossed my mind but if I could go back then id get into a trade right after high school

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
                    I agree with this. When I graduated high school, a trade never crossed my mind but if I could go back then id get into a trade right after high school
                    When did you graduate?

When I was in, it was the last years of trades in high schools around here. The school offered Shop, Metals, Plastics, and even an Auto Mechanics course (complete with a fully equipped garage at the school).

Those were all gone by the time I graduated, and kids were being pushed into college.

My Economics teacher saw it happening, and I'm sure that's one reason he mentioned it to us.

Comment

Working...
                    X