Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you thought 11 years in a decade was bad....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
    The point is that Pacquiao has never competed in a world class level as an amateur, Floyd was a 3 time National champion, first time at the age of 15! He made the olympic team, which a lot of great fighters couldn't do and he went out there and got a bronze (he got robbed in the semi finals).
    What do you all mean what's the point of my previous comment?! you know exactly what I mean! since 1993 till 1996 Floyd was one of the best amateur fighters in USA and in the world, where the **** was Pacquiao at the time?
    If you get the bronze this means you're the 3rd best amateur fighter in the world, you competed against the best from all over the world, you were competing against people who've been waiting on this chance for 4 years, so competition is damn fierce, so to be a part of it and to finish 3rd (at the age of 18 and after a robbery in the semi finals) is a great accomplishment. Again, where the hell was Pacquiao, How many non-filipino fighters did he fight since his debut in 1995 till he won the title in 1998, why did he turn pro 1 year before the Olympics if his country believed he was a good fighter who had the potential to bring them a medal? they didn't because unlike Floyd, he simply wasn't on a world class level at the time.

Doesn't necessarily mean that Pacquiao is a bad fighter, he's a great fighter, but I'm talking about accomplishments in the amateurs! it's a no contest, get over it!
    He may have been robbed in the semis but he robbed the Cuban in the quarters and shouldn't have even been there.

Comment

Originally posted by bulakenyo View Post
      He was working as a 15 year old, day to day less than minimum wage construction worker at the time.

No family, thousands of miles from home and living in friend's homes.

amateur boxing was the farthest from the kid's mind. He just wanted to be able to eat everyday, and send a few pesos to his family.

Pro boxing it is.

And BTW, Philippine amateur boxing does not pay the bills at all.
      Our last olympic medalist (silver) works now as a comdeian sidekick on local TV shows, when he's lucky enough to get a part.

And most of our amateur boxers don't get enough allowance from the amateur boxing commission. Just enough so they won't starve in training, almost.

That's why most of them are enlisted men in the Army, Navy, etc. to supplement their allowance.
      Well Pacquiao had reportedly 64 amateur fights and turned pro 1 year before the 96 Olympics, it might have been due to the fact that they couldn't finance him at the time or he might've been not a good amateur and they didn't want to support him financially, the Silver medalist at the light Flyweight division in the 96 Olympics was Mansueto Velasco from the Phillipines, this means that he was supported by the national team to get to that point!
      But anyway it's all in the past and it doesn't make a difference now really, I was just pissed that some P@ctards were making fun of Floyd's bronze medal as if it's something anybody can get, it's extremely hard to make the team and get a medal in the olympics because the competition is very hard.

Comment

The point is that Pacquiao has never competed in a world class level as an amateur, Floyd was a 3 time National champion, first time at the age of 15! He made the olympic team, which a lot of great fighters couldn't do and he went out there and got a bronze (he got robbed in the semi finals).
        What do you all mean what's the point of my previous comment?! you know exactly what I mean! since 1993 till 1996 Floyd was one of the best amateur fighters in USA and in the world, where the **** was Pacquiao at the time?
        If you get the bronze this means you're the 3rd best amateur fighter in the world, you competed against the best from all over the world, you were competing against people who've been waiting on this chance for 4 years, so competition is damn fierce, so to be a part of it and to finish 3rd (at the age of 18 and after a robbery in the semi finals) is a great accomplishment. Again, where the hell was Pacquiao, How many non-filipino fighters did he fight since his debut in 1995 till he won the title in 1998, why did he turn pro 1 year before the Olympics if his country believed he was a good fighter who had the potential to bring them a medal? they didn't because unlike Floyd, he simply wasn't on a world class level at the time.

Doesn't necessarily mean that Pacquiao is a bad fighter, he's a great fighter, but I'm talking about accomplishments in the amateurs! it's a no contest, get over it!
        Using your logic Amir Khan would be a better fighter and champion than Manny, oh and Floyd...

Comment

How's this still here ans bigjavi's isn't. It has a ton more potential than this.

Comment

Well Pacquiao had reportedly 64 amateur fights and turned pro 1 year before the 96 Olympics, it might have been due to the fact that they couldn't finance him at the time or he might've been not a good amateur and they didn't want to support him financially, the Silver medalist at the light Flyweight division in the 96 Olympics was Mansueto Velasco from the Phillipines, this means that he was supported by the national team to get to that point!
            But anyway it's all in the past and it doesn't make a difference now really, I was just pissed that some P@ctards were making fun of Floyd's bronze medal as if it's something anybody can get, it's extremely hard to make the team and get a medal in the olympics because the competition is very hard.
            Philippine amateur boxing in the 90s was very hit or miss.

1994 Asian games, the Philippines did not expect to do so great, but last 2 days of the asiad, we got a hot streak in boxing and won 3 gold medals there. All of them enlisted men. That's why they spent extra money on the boxers training, hiring Cuban coaches. (they never do that)

Manny had amateur fights, but I don't think he ever made it to the national training pool. I think when he was saying amateurs, it was those small town, non professional, non-AIBA sanctioned fights in the grassroots level, discovering talents in the provinces.

As I've said, you needed to have a real day job to pay the bills and buy your food be an amateur boxer in the Philippines, because you'll only get decent help and sponsorship if you win a gild medal in the asian games.

If you have punching power, you go to the pros, ASAP. No future for you in Philippine amateurs.

Flash Elorde
            Luisito Espinosa
            Gerry Penalosa
            Manny Pacquiao

all of them good fighters, never fought for the asian games or olympic qualifiers.

Comment

yea getting a bronze medal is bad......

Comment

Working...
              X