Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a prime Tyson shape up against other top HWs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a prime Tyson shape up against other top HWs?

Prime Tyson (85-89) is the single most exhilarating boxer of alltime. Even now, decades later, one gets goose bumps watching a prime Mike spark fighters in a round for two.

I know Mike didnt last that long as a prime fighter, really just those 4/5 years and he fell away massively. But amongst great heavyweight fighters, who do you feel could have beaten a peak Tyson?

His speed and power, together with combination punching, were simply awesome.

I can see the case for peak Ali (agree that prime Ali beats prime MT 7/10 times) but must honestly feel that no one else at their peak would best a peak Tyson more then he would best them.

Opinions.

Also, I suppose a prime Foreman (early 70's version) may have a better then even shot. Both monstrous hitters, except GF has the height advantage and could maximize the uppercut against Tyson.

Comment

Ali, Liston Louis, and Formean beat him without doubt.

Holyfield and Tunney, has a good chance.

Bowe Holmes, Dempsey, are even

I think he would beat Frazier, JJ, Lewis and Rock

Comment

Muhammad Ali - Ali would find a way to win. It's what he did. Better fighter, kind of a style disadvantage for Tyson, who would have a lot of trouble landing those bombs. Ali could wear him out and stop him but more likely win it by decision.
        Joe Louis - This is a hell of a fight. Both fast, accurate, powerful combination punchers, they go at it until one chin fails. They both had pretty good defense, too, so it could last a little longer than your typical slugfest. But somebody is getting stopped, no doubt about it. I'd pick Louis over Tyson, but Tyson could definitely cold-**** Louis if he got an open shot.
        Sonny Liston - Liston seems to be a popular choice to win convincingly but I don't know. I'd have to see more footage of him at his very best (from what I've seen, there's not much) to say "oh yeah, he beats Tyson." But he has that thudding power jab and absolutely vicious power coupled with a very solid chin.
        Larry Holmes - Keeps him on the end of the jab all night. UD Win for Holmes.
        Evander Holyfield - 50/50 fight, I think.
        Rocky Marciano - Tyson is too big and too fast for Rocky.
        Lennox Lewis - Another close fight, but I think that Lewis could keep Tyson at bay long enough to send him to sleep with that massive right hand.
        Jack Dempsey - Similar power, faster hands, better chin, better inside fighter, better boxer...Dempsey wins a thriller by KO.
        Joe Frazier - Tyson is to Frazier as Dempsey is to Tyson. Tyson KO.
        Wlad Klitschko - Tyson chops Wlad down with a body and head assault, early stoppage.
        Vitali Klitschko - Tyson gets the clear upperhand in a hard fought war, winning by either
        late stoppage or obvious decision.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys, just weighing in.

Comment

The Tyson who fought Spinks beats any heavyweight in history. I cant see Ali lasting more than 3 rounds against that Tyson.

Comment

I think Mike Tyson could be atleast competitive with most Heavyweights.

I struggle to see how he beats a prime Ali. Ali would frustrate Tyson with his movement and won't allow Tyson to fight from his prefered mid range. And even if he does get in the position to land clean shots, Ali's incredibly chin is going to hold up to whatever Tyson lands on him. The only outcome I see is an Ali descision or even late TKO.

70's Ali he may have more of a chance against. The times where he is stationary Tyson may be able to land some viscious shots to the body and head but even then Ali is not getting stopped. If a shot to **** Ali won't even go down to a prime Larry Holmes literally pummling him from pillar to post I just can't see a game 70's Ali getting stopped. And he is not going to lose on points to Tyson.

On his best day, his sheer brute strength, speed, power, chin, head movement, along with many other great attributes would give anyone problems.

But, Tyson has showed when he can't bully you and fight how he wants, he gets concerned and frustrated. Against the likes of Liston, Foreman and even Lewis, he will have alot of problems with.

I lean on him over Lewis but against Foreman and Liston I would probably lean on them, although again I think Tyson does have a legit chance to win and would be great great fights.

I see him beating Rocky, but would be a great fight and Rocky wouldn't go down without a fight and if he lands that right it could be all over, regardless to Tysons good whiskers.

Louis beats him, too much in his locker.

That will do for me.

As Tyson says he doesn't care if people think he would win or lose to the likes of names we have mentioned. He is honoured by the simple fact he shares a sentance with these great Champions. And the many others I have missed out.
            Last edited by IronDanHamza; 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

yeah the Tyson that fought spinks/marvis Frazier would give any fighter in history a real hard fight. The two stand out guys that i see as favourites to get the better of him are Ali ... wins via UD and Foreman as Tyson's style would be perfect for big George. Other than that you'd be mighty brave to put money on anybody via prime Tyson - thats not to say someone like Joe Louis or Larry Holmes wouldn't beat him, its just I wouldn't put money on it.
              Last edited by Daddy T; 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pacquia0 View Post
                The Tyson who fought Spinks beats any heavyweight in history. I cant see Ali lasting more than 3 rounds against that Tyson.
                Have you looked at Ali's record against feared sluggers? Tyson was a frontrunner. Ali never lost to that type of fighter. Ali takes Tyson into deep water and drowns him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Have you looked at Ali's record against feared sluggers? Tyson was a frontrunner. Ali never lost to that type of fighter. Ali takes Tyson into deep water and drowns him.
                  Its my opinion that Tyson would beat Ali. I dont expect everyone to agree with it though as Tyson peek was short so he doesnt have the longetivity to prove to everyone how great he was ability wise. Ali and most other greats take a Tyson without Kevin Rooney as his trainer into deep water I agree with that.

Tyson KOed Holmes and Spinks guys with Jabs better or at least nearly as good as Ali. Tysons speed in footwork and handspeed makes him one of the few guys who wouldnt be totally outmatched in those departments against Ali. Alis unorthodox defence, will not be effective in dealing with Tysons fast precise combinations. He has a great chin, but he is vulnerable to flush shots. The right shot or combination can KO anyone regardless of chin. Tyson was a great finisher also and his left hook was very good which is a punch Ali has trouble with. Tyson KOed people with his right and diferent type of punches though as well. JMO.

Comment

Tony Tucker, a guy with Ali's style but about 1/10 of Ali's ability, was handling Tyson until he broke his hand. Tyson never landed any substantially damaging blows on Tucker throughout 12 rounds... after Tucker landed a decent shot in the first round, Tyson never really tried to take Tucker out.

Quick Tillis, a guy with Ali's style but about 1/100 of Ali's ability, took 4 out of 10 rounds, nearly handing Tyson a defeat on the way up through the ranks. Again, Tyson never hurt an aging Tillis.

Holmes, at 38 years of age, had to use a HoverRound Scooter to get to the ring against Tyson, and he still managed to keep a decent jab in Tyson's face for awhile.

Tyson never tried to swarm his way in on a murderous puncher like Liston or Foreman, guys who wouldn't have feared Tyson the way such "champions" like Pinklon Thomas, Boneclutcher Smith, or Trevor Berbick did.

All in all, Tyson's a tough matchup for most heavyweights in history. However, Ali, Liston, Frazier, Holmes, Foreman, Holyfield, and Dempsey all dispatch him with relative ease.

On a side-note, I never understood how Tyson is to be considered "exhilarating"... it was just attack, attack, attack. He let himself be tied up on the inside. And he never displayed the warrior mentality that swarmers like Frazier and Dempsey did (both of whom beat Tyson by wearing him down).

Comment

Working...
                    X