Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it seem more and more boxers lack fundamental training these days?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it seem more and more boxers lack fundamental training these days?

Inside fighting....

Fighters tend to clinch instead of fighting on the inside these days, is this not being taught as much in gyms?

Dealing with movement

Instead of complaining about a fighter moving why can't more fighters set traps and capitalize on the movement?

Body punching, you see it less these days and that is sad as it sets up so much

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
    Inside fighting....

Fighters tend to clinch instead of fighting on the inside these days, is this not being taught as much in gyms?

Dealing with movement

Instead of complaining about a fighter moving why can't more fighters set traps and capitalize on the movement?

I agree Sugar was a master at inside fighting, setting traps, head control etc.
    Last edited by BLASTER1; 08-16-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
      Inside fighting....

Dealing with movement

I agree Sugar Ray was a master at inside fighting, setting traps, head control, body punching, upper-cuts etc.

Comment

Ali wasn’t great at all this stuff. He must’ve sucked. He threw very few body punches. He relied on his jab when he should’ve been using more weapons. So he sucked.

Comment

I think it all boils down to that most of these fighters have serious stamina issues.

They fight at a pace they know they can keep up for 12 rounds. Meaning limited amount of punches, clinching, and less foot work.

Comment

It's weird to watch old footage and see that guys had mad skills AND would fight gritty.
            We've still got a like Spence, Mikey Garcia, and a few others that have great fundamentals and are entertaining to watch. Seems that there's more guys making it to the higher levels on athleticism alone now though.

Comment

There is a lack of good trainers. I can’t tell you how many times I watch a fight and in between rounds the trainer is offering little to no guidance. Just asking his fighter how he feels or telling him to let his hands go. No insight on what his opponent is doing right or wrong and how to improvise and take advantage of those mistakes. Everyone with a towel and a water bottle is a trainer today.

Comment

This is happening across all areas. Actors of 20-30 years ago had formal education before entering the profession. Basketball players came into NBA with tremendous fundamentals. Even the work force lacks basic understanding nowadays.

I would argue it's because we became less patient as society, and are more focused on quick results instead of knowing what we're doing. Look at schools. So many kids graduate with 4.0 GPA because they can cram and just get those diplomas, but have no memory of what they learned, and what they do remember is absolutely not practical.

Comment

Working...
                X