Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Fighters Were Fighting Five or Six Times a Year...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell, I'd settle for champions fighting 4 times a year if they fought decent challengers.You average champion these days fights only once or twice a year and usually against a mediocre challenger.

Comment

Originally posted by True-Boxing-Fan View Post
      But at least they got in two good fights. Now it's like fight two bums a year and follow it up with a decent fight then back to the bums. Nowadays you get fighters only fighting a tough fight once every two-three years.

Ask me I'd prefer the 5-6 fight year system with a fighter fighting three bums as long as they got in two tough matchups too. That's way better than how its been for the last 15 years.
      Yes, more boxing and more opportunities for the little guys. A man named Robert Villemain beat Jake LaMotta in a ten rounder when Jake was big. At least he got a chance in those days. Nowadays he'd be sitting on the bench. I think some people want their fighter to reign without much adversity.

Comment

You'd have resumes looking like Rungvisai's res. With opponents with 15 wins and 25 losses, or debuting and never to be seen again. Look at his resume, look at the guys who "debuted" against him, look at their resume, never fought again.

Anyway, you'd see that more often. No thanks. Fighters can't sustain six 8 week training camps a year for tough challenges, so it would have to be opponents so easy that the fighter doesn't need to train full training camps. Also, i'm not sure if promoters can even get fighters on TV 5 times, let alone 6 times. It's a struggle for these top fighters to find 3-4 suitable opponents for TV too, without proper pay. Once you hear a fighter is planning on fighting 3-4 times, you can already assume two of them will be absolute journeymen who don't stand a chance, and you can even assume that some injury will happen to prevent them from fulfulling it, or a fight ends up being tougher than expected so they cut off their schedule to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          You'd have resumes looking like Rungvisai's res. With opponents with 15 wins and 25 losses, or debuting and never to be seen again. Look at his resume, look at the guys who "debuted" against him, look at their resume, never fought again.

Anyway, you'd see that more often. No thanks. Fighters can't sustain six 8 week training camps a year for tough challenges, so it would have to be opponents so easy that the fighter doesn't need to train full training camps. Also, i'm not sure if promoters can even get fighters on TV 5 times, let alone 6 times. It's a struggle for these top fighters to find 3-4 suitable opponents for TV too, without proper pay. Once you hear a fighter is planning on fighting 3-4 times, you can already assume two of them will be absolute journeymen who don't stand a chance, and you can even assume that some injury will happen to prevent them from fulfulling it, or a fight ends up being tougher than expected so they cut off their schedule to rest.
          Who says every fight has to be on TV? Hell, every fight would be taped by camera phone and loaded onto youtube anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
            If they were fighting that often, you would have even more mismatches..look at history, when fighters fought that often the fought 2 good fights and 4 cab drivers
            Thats 2 more good fights a year than we get now.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              How many would stay unbeaten? How many more matches would be made where new stars could rise? Would the "0" really matter that much anymore? Would boxing's popularity rise with more exposure?
              Thoughts and opinions?
              it would be 1 quality guy and 4 glorified sparring sessions.

bfd

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                Thats 2 more good fights a year than we get now.
                Exactly. Sometimes I think our sport is in a slump because of the hardcores. I consider myself one, but there are many who only want the worst. It's really odd.

Comment

Originally posted by SemiGreat View Post
                  it would be 1 quality guy and 4 glorified sparring sessions.

bfd
                  Yes, bfd. It would be terrible to see a good fighter in the ring often where he stays sharp. A real travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                    Exactly. Sometimes I think our sport is in a slump because of the hardcores. I consider myself one, but there are many who only want the worst. It's really odd.
                    People seem to have their favorite fighter and they dont want to see their favorite fighters lose.

I for example love Jorge Linares. I think Mikey Garcia will murder him, but I still want to see that fight.

Other people that are fans of Linares would probably love for him to make some excuse to swerve Garcia and avoid that fight.

I like having my favorites challenged.

I am with you, I dont get why people want to see their favorite fighters fight easy fights and never challenge themselves.

Its like the two goobers that fought tonight. Frampton and Santa Cruz.

Both of them shamelessly ducked avoided and finally changed weight classes to avoid fighting Rigondeaux.

And guess what. Fans of both of them made excuses for them.

And whats even worse. They were rewarded for doing so by getting two fights on showtime.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                      People seem to have their favorite fighter and they dont want to see their favorite fighters lose.

I for example love Jorge Linares. I think Mikey Garcia will murder him, but I still want to see that fight.

Other people that are fans of Linares would probably love for him to make some excuse to swerve Garcia and avoid that fight.

I like having my favorites challenged.

I am with you, I dont get why people want to see their favorite fighters fight easy fights and never challenge themselves.

Its like the two goobers that fought tonight. Frampton and Santa Cruz.

Both of them shamelessly ducked avoided and finally changed weight classes to avoid fighting Rigondeaux.

And guess what. Fans of both of them made excuses for them.

And whats even worse. They were rewarded for doing so by getting two fights on showtime.
                      You know didn't watch the fight live. I saw your comments though about it being not much of a fight. After watching it for free on YT, I concur.

This was a low action fight that IMO could have easily been a draw. I mean SC took the first round, but the next five? Very up in the air with Frampton having an edge IMO. I scored it a draw, but either way, I have to say, it was not a great fight, by any means. The people that think it was a great fight must not have watched boxing very long. That was a decent fight that did not live up to the hype in any way.

And yes, it's ridiculous. Some of these so called fans of boxing are really just fans of certain fighters, praying they don't lose. There is some serious insecurity on this site.

Comment

Working...
                      X