Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC dropped the ball on the Japan event(UFC 144)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC dropped the ball on the Japan event(UFC 144)

I was really disappointed to see all the Japanese fighters losing in front of their own crowd. IMO the whole point of putting up an event in another country is to turn that country's fans on to the sport. And putting some of those Japanese fighters up against tough opponents didn't make sense to me.

Yes, I'm saying that UFC should have thrown soft balls to the Japanese fighters. I know it sounds wrong but it would have made more sense. It just seems like a waste of an event having all those good Jap fighters losing and the crowd getting disappointed.

The fight that was the biggest head scratcher to me was Aikyama-Shields. Dana puts Aikyama in a welterweight fight cuz he thinks he's not strong enough for the MW division, but then gives him Shields who is stronger than most MW's. That didn't make any sense to me.

I really felt for all those Japanese fighters when I saw the look of sadness and frustration on their faces after they lost.

It only makes sense to have all the fighters win in front of their home crowd instead of going home with a bad taste in their mouth. Would be creating a lot more new fans IMO.
    Last edited by -Swizzy-; 02-27-2012, 11:14 PM.

Not sure I get the point of your point....

Let's go fight by fight...

- Tamura was a live dog as a late replacement against a rather crappy Zhang.
    - Takeya Mizugaki won that fight. Horrendous decision.
    - Riki Fukuda styled all over Steve Cant(fight)well
    - Kid got served up a softball on a tee and couldn't deliver. Proof that he has nothing left.
    - Gomi is shot, but managed to come back and win against a live dog in Mitsuoka
    - No japs in Lauzon-Pettis
    - Hatsu Hioki had a favorable style match up and styled all over Palaszewski
    - Yushin Okami had a great style match up against Tim Boetsch and he was destroying him. It was pretty insane how he lost there at the end.
    - Sexyama had a tough match up, but he was in the fight. I thought it was his to lose after the first 7-8 minutes, but he lost it. I can agree with you here.
    - Mark Hunt had a decent match up against a weak-chinned Kongo. Delivered
    - Rampage was served up an easy style match up and embarrassed himself by showing up fat.
    - no japs in the main event.

lolwut

Comment

Can we close this thread?

Comment

Nah man. I think the Japanese enjoyed it. Did they want to see their countrymen do good? Sure. Not all of them won but the ones that did, did so; flashy.

Akiyama-Shields... Only one I have doubts on because Akiyama did so well to simply bottle it at the end. I hope the UFC keeps him, he hasn't exactly been fighting bums now. I mean: Leben, Bisping, Belfort, Shields. Like really, the only person who had a worse run of fights than that was Franklin: Hendo, Wandy, Vitor, Liddell, Griffin.

I mean, those string of fights are more impressive than some of Silva's title defenses. (leites, cote, maia.. bums)

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          Nah man. I think the Japanese enjoyed it. Did they want to see their countrymen do good? Sure. Not all of them won but the ones that did, did so; flashy.

Akiyama-Shields... Only one I have doubts on because Akiyama did so well to simply bottle it at the end. I hope the UFC keeps him, he hasn't exactly been fighting bums now. I mean: Leben, Bisping, Belfort, Shields. Like really, the only person who had a worse run of fights than that was Franklin: Hendo, Wandy, Vitor, Liddell, Griffin.

I mean, those string of fights are more impressive than some of Silva's title defenses. (leites, cote, maia.. bums)
          The problem is that the ufc Pays sexyama a grip of money so he has to fight top cOmp. If he cant beat shields hes just not an elite fighter hes a another tough asian fighter

Comment

I feel u but I don't give a ****!!! My boy Smooth is the new UFC Lightweight Champion of the World.

Comment

This should just be a sexyama thread. Like stated Kid and Gomi both had easy fights, gomi put on a classic comeback with what he has left, kid SHAKE MY ****IN HEAD I don't even know where to start with what's wrong with him. Okami got the type of fight you want after a title loss, whooped ass and miraculously lost at the end.

Akiayama has the only excuse. Did he bang Dana or Joe Silvas woman? How the **** does it make sense to keep giving him harder and harder fights after he loses? Nobodys had a tougher last 4 outings then this man.

Comment

Sexyama is korean isn't he? and hated by the japanese for some stuff he did to one of there legends? sure he got booed at the weigh in

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
                  Not sure I get the point of your point....

Let's go fight by fight...

- Tamura was a live dog as a late replacement against a rather crappy Zhang.
                  - Takeya Mizugaki won that fight. Horrendous decision.
                  - Riki Fukuda styled all over Steve Cant(fight)well
                  - Kid got served up a softball on a tee and couldn't deliver. Proof that he has nothing left.
                  - Gomi is shot, but managed to come back and win against a live dog in Mitsuoka
                  - No japs in Lauzon-Pettis
                  - Hatsu Hioki had a favorable style match up and styled all over Palaszewski
                  - Yushin Okami had a great style match up against Tim Boetsch and he was destroying him. It was pretty insane how he lost there at the end.
                  - Sexyama had a tough match up, but he was in the fight. I thought it was his to lose after the first 7-8 minutes, but he lost it. I can agree with you here.
                  - Mark Hunt had a decent match up against a weak-chinned Kongo. Delivered
                  - Rampage was served up an easy style match up and embarrassed himself by showing up fat.
                  - no japs in the main event.

lolwut
                  ok well, I only saw the main card and 2 of the 3 japanese fighters(Okami, Aikyama) lost. I skimmed through the other fights in the results didn't really pay attention. Only fight that wasn't on the main card that stood out to me was Gomi's but he beat another japanese fighter so that kinda cancels out.

Comment

Originally posted by BEDROOM BULLY View Post
                    Sexyama is korean isn't he? and hated by the japanese for some stuff he did to one of there legends? sure he got booed at the weigh in
                    He's mixed. Korean-Japanese.

Some still don't like him. Japs are mainly for jap-only people in general. He's banging a Japanese actress though.

Comment

Working...
                    X