Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equipment reviews: Ringside bag gloves and more...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment reviews: Ringside bag gloves and more...

Everytime I get something new I post a review to help people make decisions.

I start with Ringside's bag gloves.

http://www.ringside.com/Ringside-IMF...ctinfo/IMF+BG/

First thing I noticed is how well they are made. top notch stitching and quality leather. I hit the bag with bag gloves and of course spar with sparring gloves because you need both. These felt really good on my hands, felt comfortable right away and feel like they won't need much "breaking in" time.

I ordered the large because the mediums at my gym seemed too tight. The large are still a little tight at first and usually wear a knuckle pad with my wraps and had to take it off so the gloves fit better.

They have a nice bar in the middle of the palm that you can grip and it's made of leather I believe, not metal or anything like that. They also have a stop bar at the end of the tips of your fingers that I like, protecting the tips of your fingers. If any of you have sparred a lot, you know you can actually hurt your fingers by hitting the tips of them on someones head.

Overall very well made, good quality, stitching and look great in the balck. I give them a 5 out 5 stars because of the price range. For $59 you really can't go wrong, you could get better gloves for over $100 but these are excellent for the price. They only come in the 14oz size and make sure if you have medium to larg hands order the large.

I also ordered the Top Contender gym bag, here's my review.

http://www.ringside.com/Contender-Fi...ductinfo/BB25/

First off the bag is made of tough nylon and looks good. The designs are a little too much for me but all I liked was the price and size of the bag.

First thing I noticed is it seems very tough and the stitching is very good. The nylon is high quality and seems like a bag that can last. It comes with a padded adjustable strap and rubber pads on the bottom for even more durability.

For $24 on special right now on ringside, you can't beat it. the only thing I don't like about it, it has two compartments. One at the top zipper, the main one and then on bottom it has a ventilated area where you can store stuff underneath it. It has two openings on each side, and I don't like it because it takes away from the main storage of the bag and reduces the initial size of it.

Plus if you store anything on the bottom, it is nice because it gets air for used equipment, but it's a little inconvenient to grab.

It also only has one side pocket which is large but I would have preferred two so I could separate different stuff I don't want sitting together, like personal items and then wraps or something like that.

I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars, it's well made, good storage but a little inconvenient and only one side pocket. For the price of $24 it is worth the money when you compare to the $50 most other bags are asking for.

I'm in the market for a new pair of bag gloves and am considering the following two brands:

"Pro Mex Professional Bag Gloves" - $60

http://store.titleboxing.com/pro-mex...ag-gloves.html

"Rival Elite Bag Gloves" - $90

http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-e...ag-gloves.html

Does anyone have experience with either brand? I'm leaning towards the Pro Mex because of the better price but if it means sacrificing quality I'd rather go with the Rivals...

Comment

Any suggestions? Thanks...

Comment

get the rivals

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          I'm in the market for a new pair of bag gloves and am considering the following two brands:

"Pro Mex Professional Bag Gloves" - $60

http://store.titleboxing.com/pro-mex...ag-gloves.html

"Rival Elite Bag Gloves" - $90

http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-e...ag-gloves.html

Does anyone have experience with either brand? I'm leaning towards the Pro Mex because of the better price but if it means sacrificing quality I'd rather go with the Rivals...
          You definitely want to spend the money on the Rivals. The Pro Mex are a knock off of Cleto Reyes and don't fit quite the same or made in the same way.

Rivals are really good and fit well but to be honest they are way over priced. I would take those ringside IMF's over the Rival for the difference in price. Both leather, both well made it's just that one has a look that people like and a name brand that they can charge more money for.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
            You definitely want to spend the money on the Rivals. The Pro Mex are a knock off of Cleto Reyes and don't fit quite the same or made in the same way.

Rivals are really good and fit well but to be honest they are way over priced. I would take those ringside IMF's over the Rival for the difference in price. Both leather, both well made it's just that one has a look that people like and a name brand that they can charge more money for.
            The Pro Mex are a definitely a 'poor man's Reyes' but they look pretty good and are priced reasonably. I've heard bad things about the Pro Mex sparring gloves (that the padding is too hard/ dense). But does it matter when it comes to bag gloves?...

Comment

if the padding is too dense it will just punish your knuckles instead of protecting them. dense padding like that doesnt really absorb any energy when you hit the bag, your knuckles are getting pushed into some very dense foam and soon they will get sore

Comment

I also REALLY like the IMF Tech sparring gloves. I've never tried the Reyes although I've always wanted to, and sometimes, especially in the new ones, the Grants can hurt your thumbs. They definitely get better as you break them in, but then again not all gloves are created equally, sometimes you order them and wait anxiously and when the damn things show up one of the thumb holes is smaller than the other.

Edit: The grants hit lovely though. Definitely more pop than IMFs.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  The Pro Mex are a definitely a 'poor man's Reyes' but they look pretty good and are priced reasonably. I've heard bad things about the Pro Mex sparring gloves (that the padding is too hard/ dense). But does it matter when it comes to bag gloves?...
                  You said "bag gloves" that's what you are looking for and they are different than a training or sparring glove.

A bag glove is to hit a bag with, mitts etc..

They are more dense and have more protection for your hands. They shouldn't be used for sparring ever.

The ProMex are just not a good glove IMO, I have seen them in the gym and they are a cheap knock off of Reyes gloves. Not made with the same type of leather, stitching or hand made quality, don't waste your time.

I'm telling you though, the Ringside IMF bag gloves are excellent for the price. They fit really well, need almost no time to "break in" and for $50, you can't beat that being $40 cheaper than something like the Rivals.

You should at least have 2 pairs of gloves if you can afford it, one for sparring and one for bag work. The sparring should be no less than 16oz and the bag gloves should be high quality, durable gloves because they are going to take the most abuse.

Comment

Working...
                  X