No announcement yet.

Stragety against southpaw lead hand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stragety against southpaw lead hand

I’m right handed, and when boxing a couple of southpaws they keep their lead hand very far out. What are ways to combat this?

it's a muay thai theme (explicitly or implicitly). It's usually breaking down by pressure (you're going inside landing hooks, for example)

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
      I’m right handed, and when boxing a couple of southpaws they keep their lead hand very far out. What are ways to combat this?

Comment

Comment

With south paws I would always make sure my lead hand was higher than theirs and try to knock down the jab and shoot mine over the top. In my opinion the main advantage southpaws have is they take away your jab. But I try to turn the tables on them and take their jab away. My favourite fight to learn from an orthodox vs southpaw is Andre ward vs chad Dawson.
          Chad has an excellent jab and it was one of his main weapons but ward turned it to a weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
            I did the same thing to Anorak.

Comment

Any time that they throw it , just slip your head to the left and stick your right hand in to their mug.

If they are trying to keep you at bay by leaving the hand out there, then step in to your left while throwing your right hand and moving your head to the left. You have to initiate all of those moves at once
              easy Peeezy.

And always bring the hook behind it! ….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                Any time that they throw it , just slip your head to the left and stick your right hand in to their mug.

If they are trying to keep you at bay by leaving the hand out there, then step in to your left while throwing your right hand and moving your head to the left. You have to initiate all of those moves at once
                easy Peeezy.

And always bring the hook behind it! ….Rockin'
                You will want to 'spin out' of there after landing your right hand. Meaning to pivot out after the shot. Then you will be so set up to dig that hook. Try that and then try hooking while your pivoting and then dropping in another right hand. …..Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 08-24-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  You will want to 'spin out' of there after landing your right hand. Meaning to pivot out after the shot. Then you will be so set up to dig that hook. Try that and then try hooking while your pivoting and then dropping in another right hand. …..Rockin'
                  You tell him, Rockin!

Comment

jab their glove then step across with a right hand to the head or body

Comment

Working...
                    X