Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the front foot to pivot when throwing jabs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the front foot to pivot when throwing jabs?

Whenever I jab (or throw a left hook or any other left-hand punch for that matter), is it ok if my lead foot pivots clockwise?

My left knee has started hurting from using my leg to push in order to generate power. I've found that pivoting helps out with this, though it seems to use more energy.

You can pivot off the hook not off the jab. Be careful pivoting, if you carry your pivot to far you will expose your profile and you can get seriously hurt when your face, jaw, chin are profiled.
    Step in with your jab and you determine how much push you use and how deep your step in is. There are many ways to jab but throwing a jab adding a pivot with your left foot is not a good idea.
    Ray

Comment

You should be stepping with the jab and pivoting with the hook. Quick steps and snap your pivot in and out of the punch so you aren't in a vulnerable spot for the right hand as long.

When you step in on the jab, try to make it so your foot is just coming back down and you still have forward motion when the jab lands. Don't make a big step, just keep your foot almost skimming the ground. This will make sure your weight is behind the punch and if you're caught stepping in, your foot will be there for balance.

Comment

Let me ask this, would it be ok to pivot when jabbing temporarily until my knee stops hurting? I'm not really at the sparring stage of boxing anyway (just starting out).

Comment

I would say it's not necessary. People tend to step when they jab, or just jab. Now I will say that I teach a turn of the hips a bit because it does give you an extension you wouldn't normally get.

Comment

Originally posted by DMD3 View Post
            Let me ask this, would it be ok to pivot when jabbing temporarily until my knee stops hurting? I'm not really at the sparring stage of boxing anyway (just starting out).
            You can pivot all you want but it's a straight punch and it's not going to help anything. Your knee shouldn't hurt from jabbing. If you can't make small steps then I'd get it looked at or rest it.

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I would say it's not necessary. People tend to step when they jab, or just jab. Now I will say that I teach a turn of the hips a bit because it does give you an extension you wouldn't normally get.
            If you have your feet positioned right you shouldn't be able to rotate your hips enough to do anything. Your feet would be too squared if you can. If you're in the correct position and rotate your hips then you are going to be turned completely to the side and are going to be off balance. Not to mention you are already past the point where you are gaining power from rotation on a straight punch and are in fact losing power. In orthodox stance you will be moving your weight and momentum to the right and not forward

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
              If you have your feet positioned right you shouldn't be able to rotate your hips enough to do anything. Your feet would be too squared if you can. If you're in the correct position and rotate your hips then you are going to be turned completely to the side and are going to be off balance. Not to mention you are already past the point where you are gaining power from rotation on a straight punch and are in fact losing power. In orthodox stance you will be moving your weight and momentum to the right and not forward
              Not true, you can slightly turn your hips to give you about an inch of reach. I'm not talking about any significant rotation, I'm simply talking about a slight turn of the hips that has nothing to do with your lead foot in either stance.

It's like if you are standing face to face with someone, and you both reach out to touch each other's chin to see who has the longer reach. Any slight turn from the hips, will rotate the shoulders and give the illusion of a longer reach.

That is simply what I'm talking about.

Comment

only if you immediately follow the jab by doing the hustle...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUfDTn5huM

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  Not true, you can slightly turn your hips to give you about an inch of reach. I'm not talking about any significant rotation, I'm simply talking about a slight turn of the hips that has nothing to do with your lead foot in either stance.

It's like if you are standing face to face with someone, and you both reach out to touch each other's chin to see who has the longer reach. Any slight turn from the hips, will rotate the shoulders and give the illusion of a longer reach.

That is simply what I'm talking about.
                  That's true from your explanation but you don't fight squared up like that. If you're stepping in then you're covering that distance anyways and if you are just arm punching then its a setup punch which is just as effective missing by an inch. If you're stretching out the jab as much as you are talking about then you are overestimating distance for your right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
                    If you're stretching out the jab as much as you are talking about then you are overestimating distance for your right hand.
                    good point there, but I still recommend doin' the hustle immediately following the short right hands too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUfDTn5huM

Comment

Working...
                    X