Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Scientists Discover Lake untouched by man for over 20 Million years..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you talking about vostok, dogs?

i believe it was discovered a while back. i believe the hub bub is stemming from the possibility of folks breaking into it within the near future

and modern humans are only about a quarter of a million years old

whatever was down there 20 million years ago was not human
    Last edited by New England; 02-01-2012, 09:39 PM. Reason: typos, b*tches

Comment

im shocked as **** we havent yet found a frozen Dinosaur..

Comment

The high oxygen levels and possible life that existing there has always been one of the most intersting aspects about it for me.

"Lake Vostok is supersaturated with oxygen, with levels estimated to be around 50 times greater than an average freshwater lake. Lukin said the researchers hope to find live organisms in the lake, particularly in the mineralized water near the bottom. If life does exist there, the organisms would be “extremophiles,” with many adaptations to allow them to survive. If life is found in the lake, this would have implications for the possibilities of life on Jupiter’s moon Europa or Saturn’s satellite Enceladus, both of which have a similar environment."

"When the sample can be recovered, however, it’s hoped that it’ll shed light on extremophiles — lifeforms that survive in extreme environments. Life in Lake Vostok would need adaptions to the oxygen-rich environment, which could include high concentrations of protective enzymes. The conditions in Lake Vostok are very similar to the conditions on Jupiter’s moon Europa and Saturn’s moon Enceladus, so the new data could also strengthen the case for extraterrestrial life.

Finally, anything living in the lake will have evolved in relative isolation for about 14 million years, so it could offer a snapshot of conditions on Earth long before humans evolved."

Comment

Pictures? .........

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
            The high oxygen levels and possible life that existing there has always been one of the most intersting aspects about it for me.

"Lake Vostok is supersaturated with oxygen, with levels estimated to be around 50 times greater than an average freshwater lake. Lukin said the researchers hope to find live organisms in the lake, particularly in the mineralized water near the bottom. If life does exist there, the organisms would be “extremophiles,” with many adaptations to allow them to survive. If life is found in the lake, this would have implications for the possibilities of life on Jupiter’s moon Europa or Saturn’s satellite Enceladus, both of which have a similar environment."

"When the sample can be recovered, however, it’s hoped that it’ll shed light on extremophiles — lifeforms that survive in extreme environments. Life in Lake Vostok would need adaptions to the oxygen-rich environment, which could include high concentrations of protective enzymes. The conditions in Lake Vostok are very similar to the conditions on Jupiter’s moon Europa and Saturn’s moon Enceladus, so the new data could also strengthen the case for extraterrestrial life.

Finally, anything living in the lake will have evolved in relative isolation for about 14 million years, so it could offer a snapshot of conditions on Earth long before humans evolved."
            Now that is freaking interesting

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Flawless* View Post
                Pictures? .........

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Phoenix View Post

Comment

H
                    Originally posted by Burning Phoenix View Post
                    I promise if they found this I'm gonna try to be one that gets a ride from it. (no ****)

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
                      We are lucky something took out some of those prehistoric monsters back in the day.

45 foot, 20 ton sharks? I'm good....

Comment

Working...
                      X