Canelo vs GGG @ 157?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo vs GGG @ 157?

Would you be against this?

Before you answer, realize the last two fighters who dominated the sport also used catch weights to their advantage.
    Floyd vs Canelo at 152.
    Pac vs Cotto/DLH (147 but DLH should've never been under 154 in that point of his career)

GGG is the much bigger man. Canelo is about 5'8" and GGG about 5'11". So with that in mind, what do you think? I know there's two sides, one side wants Canelo to get crushed and the other side thinKs Canelo is a legend. Both need to take a step back and approach this like business.

GGG keeps begging and *****ing for the fight. Then he should agree to Canelo's terms. Just like Canelo agreed for Floyd.
    I would be against 155. But 157 works. Canelo has every right to use his pull as the A side.

Discuss...

thats what i've been saying the whole time

Comment

I still don't see why a MW unification fight should be at a limit under 160, I still find it ridiculous but whatever. If they can meet halfway around 157 or 158 just to get it made then do it. 155 is a joke though.

Comment

I have no problem with anything between 157-160.

If it has to be 157, it's a middle ground compromise. If Canelo jumps to 160, I'm good with that too.

Comment

I have a HUGE problem with it. It is time for the lineal MW championship of the world to be fought at 160 pounds. Let Canelo take the bulk of the purse. Let him set the date, the venue. Let him choose the ring size and even gloves. He gets all these advantages because he is clearly the A-side, however as he is actually gonna be the heavier guy on fight night and if he wants to hold on to the title then fight at the proper ****en limit.

If he wants to fight at a CW, great just give up the damn belt.

Comment

Originally posted by reneg_2 View Post

Before you answer, realize the last two fighters who dominated the sport also used catch weights to their advantage.
            Floyd vs Canelo at 152.
            Pac vs Cotto/DLH (147 but DLH should've never been under 154 in that point of his career)

GGG is the much bigger man. Canelo is about 5'8" and GGG about 5'11". So with that in mind, what do you think? I know there's two sides, one side wants Canelo to get crushed and the other side thinKs Canelo is a legend. Both need to take a step back and approach this like business.

GGG keeps begging and *****ing for the fight. Then he should agree to Canelo's terms. Just like Canelo agreed for Floyd.
            I would be against 155. But 157 works. Canelo has every right to use his pull as the A side.

Discuss...
            Floyd/Canelo is what started the rot. Before that, catchweights were understandable, a fighter moving up in weight fighting for a championship against a fighter at that weight. That type of catchweight is as old as boxing.

Problem is, Floyd/Canelo was a unification between two guys who were champions in the same weight. It was disgusting but now it has become a trend. I am completely against such catchweights but if it means Canelo/GGG happens sooner rather than later, then I could stomach it. Just about.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Floyd/Canelo is what started the rot. Before that, catchweights were understandable, a fighter moving up in weight fighting for a championship against a fighter at that weight. That type of catchweight is as old as boxing.

Problem is, Floyd/Canelo was a unification between two guys who were champions in the same weight. It was disgusting but now it has become a trend. I am completely against such catchweights but if it means Canelo/GGG happens sooner rather than later, then I could stomach it. Just about.
              I've personally got nothing against CW's in order to make the odd superfight happen as long as there are no titles on the line. Say for instance Ward had agreed to face Triple G at 164 in order to make that fight. That would be fine with me but Ward's MW titles I sure as hell hope wouldn't have been on the line. It's CW's where titles are on offer that get me riled up.

Comment

Originally posted by b d w View Post
                I've personally got nothing against CW's in order to make the odd superfight happen as long as there are no titles on the line. Say for instance Ward had agreed to face Triple G at 164 in order to make that fight. That would be fine with me but Ward's MW titles I sure as hell hope wouldn't have been on the line. It's CW's where titles are on offer that get me riled up.
                Why? It is perfectly acceptable for two fighters, in different divisions, to meet half way. That allows for a decreases advantage in size for the bigger guy.

But when you have two guys who are of the same weight, in the same damn division, a catchweight becomes something more than equaling out weight distribution. In fact, it takes on a more serious and sinister tone when you are trying to damage the other fighter physically thus trying to impede their skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Why? It is perfectly acceptable for two fighters, in different divisions, to meet half way. That allows for a decreases advantage in size for the bigger guy.

But when you have two guys who are of the same weight, in the same damn division, a catchweight becomes something more than equaling out weight distribution. In fact, it takes on a more serious and sinister tone when you are trying to damage the other fighter physically thus trying to impede their skill set.
                  ^This.

Wasn't that the original intention of a Catchweight? Top fighters from different divisions meeting in the middle? It's amazing how so many people shtt on GGG for the 164 offer yet have no problem with Canelo's 155 while holding the "lineal" belt in the SAME damn division.

Comment

Originally posted by reneg_2 View Post

Floyd vs Canelo at 152.

Discuss...
                    I would be ok with it. But let's let them negotiate and stop making assumptions....also, GGG is not a bigger guy than canelo. Slightly taller, and probably weighs actually less than canelo day to day.

But if we keep using the "this is the way boxing has always been" argument, the sport will never really move forward. Big changes need to be made in the sport, and the mayweather/manny A side crap is ultimately not good for the growth of the sport.

after the canelo fight teddy atlas was on sportscenter and went into a rant about how we shouldn't get hopes up for canelo-GGG because canelo doesn't need GGG to make money and the high risk, etc. and the sportscenter anchor said something like "boxing always shoots itself in the foot". And he is absolutely right, which is why this sport has had zero mainstream growth dispite the hundreds of millions that a couple guys made.

Comment

Working...
                    X