No announcement yet.

Why do people put so much on a loss??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people put so much on a loss??

I mean it's not the end of the world,this is boxing and it can happen to anyone...I've seen some post of people talking about Khan..Yes he loss 3 fights..But the kid is young and can rebound if he takes his craft and opponents more seriously...It's like that with loads of fighters tho,if the fighter loses fans lose interest in the fighter...This is something I've never got,hell sometimes a loss is a good thing and a learning experience..What are some thoughts on this subject....

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
    I mean it's not the end of the world,this is boxing and it can happen to anyone...I've seen some post of people talking about Khan..Yes he loss 3 fights..But the kid is young and can rebound if he takes his craft and opponents more seriously...It's like that with loads of fighters tho,if the fighter loses fans lose interest in the fighter...This is something I've never got,hell sometimes a loss is a good thing and a learning experience..What are some thoughts on this subject....

Its not the fact he lost, its how he lost...

If he can show improvement, and acknowledge his mistakes, then i will give him credit. After he lost the Peterson fight, all he did was cry... he didnt look at mistakes, or even the possibility that he was making mistakes...he just cried, and blamed everyone but himself.

Comment

In the eyes of many it turns the fighter into a can as now they are not capable of being Floyd.

That aside, boxing fans needs to take a leaf out of the book from MMA, where one loss doesn't hurt your career as you put it.

If anything, a loss in boxing should not diminish the boxers potential - depends on the brutality of the loss in some cases - so long as they stay dedicated and hungry as you put it. Let's face it, there is always other titles boxers can choose to fight for should they take a more calculated path.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
        Its not the fact he lost, its how he lost...

If he can show improvement, and acknowledge his mistakes, then i will give him credit. After he lost the Peterson fight, all he did was cry... he didnt look at mistakes, or even the possibility that he was making mistakes...he just cried, and blamed everyone but himself.
        I can agree with this,but it's not just him(Khan),it can be anybody...Ortiz Maidana Berto Froch(when he lost to Ward)etc etc...Maybe your right tho,how they lost played a major role in the way people felt about them afterwards...But anyone can be beat,I think it's something to gain knowledge on a fighter about...But they should not be viewed as finished just because they took an L...

Comment

Undefeated records importance is rooted in the monetary worthyness of a fighter in the eyes of promoters, and casual fans. The myth that an undefeated record = an amazing fighter is perpetuated constantly.

An undefeated fighter today is a cash cow, and it appears that most promoters will do what it takes to protect that 0. It sucks.

Its ignornace that makes people believe a mediocre undefeated boxer, is better than a highly skilled boxer who had a bad night. Ridiculous!

Comment

Losing and being KOed are two different head spaces for the fighter , that is what this is about , the mind ! Khan as an example will fold when he gets into the deep end with a top fighter because his mind knows defeat , as long as Khan is sailing along in his groove he will win fights but put the acid on him and he will fold , its in his make up now .

It also makes unbeaten fighters that much harder to beat because their mind dont know what its like to lose and they feel invincible , boxing is a mental game more than anything else .

Comment

Totally agree. Since the floyd mayweather "undefeated" thing came along the "0" on the record is massivly overrated. Almost all the ATG's have lost. No shame is losing or getting KO's. The best fighters have multiple losses.

Comment

and that also leads to potential mega-fights, not happening.

I personally dont care about undefeated records, I pretty critical of fighters resumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                  Losing and being KOed are two different head spaces for the fighter , that is what this is about , the mind ! Khan as an example will fold when he gets into the deep end with a top fighter because his mind knows defeat , as long as Khan is sailing along in his groove he will win fights but put the acid on him and he will fold , its in his make up now .

It also makes unbeaten fighters that much harder to beat because their mind dont know what its like to lose and they feel invincible , boxing is a mental game more than anything else .
                  I agree, Undefeated fighters have an innate advantage..and being that boxing is as much a mental game as it is physical..this can be devestating to fighters who actually possess the skill to beat these undefeated but lose on the mental front before they even enter the ring. Good post.

Comment

It isnt the end of the world,but posters pick and choose who this applies to...so lose and its "oh he was exposed"..some lose and its "oh that was a licky punch"...some never lose and that means they never fought anyone...all depends on the posters agenda

Comment

Working...
                    X