No announcement yet.

how to throw a correct left hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to throw a correct left hook?

How do u guys think is the correct way ? with the thumb face towards you, or facing upwards ? iv seen people do both?

whatever feels more natural

Comment

Originally posted by superiorathlete View Post
      How do u guys think is the correct way ? with the thumb face towards you, or facing upwards ? iv seen people do both?

if it's to the head it should be facing you at least while it's moving through the target. it does not have to be parallel with the ground, obviously. it wont face you the entire time. when it does, you will be open on your left side.
      if you try throwing it to the body with your thumb facing you it's going to have a weird angle
      some people will even tell you to point it toward your chest when it's to the head, opening the palm a bit to the opponent. this will ensure that you turn your knuckles over and get your elbow up to get leverage.

you want to use your knuckles and punch with leverage (not slap w/ the side of the glove)
      that's what the thumb pointing instructions are usually about
      it's about your build and the length of your arms
      Last edited by New England; 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

hmmmm I think it all depends on range ... up close the thumbs should be facing and far away it should be facing up

Comment

That's what I do ^.

Make sure your forearm is in a straight line when you land it and your elbow creates a nice 90^o angle.

Twist your hips for more power.

Comment

the gym i use to go to use to do the left hook to the head with the thumb upwards and palm faceing towards you, now iv moved gyms the do thumb towards you and palm facing down, so just wondered what the correct way was

Comment

Originally posted by superiorathlete View Post
              the gym i use to go to use to do the left hook to the head with the thumb upwards and palm faceing towards you, now iv moved gyms the do thumb towards you and palm facing down, so just wondered what the correct way was
              Usually just personal preferance with Old School trainiers opting for the thumb facing you method as they say it decreases the chance on injury.

Comment

They both have their uses at the apropriate time, the more sparring you do, you'll realize how you'll have to vary your technique at different occasions, don't take a technique/stance as final say, theyare meant to give you a balanced foundation as well as education in the art of boxing, but as you progress you'll realize what works for you and what doesn't. keep at it, peace

Comment

Originally posted by -PITO- View Post
                  They both have their uses at the apropriate time, the more sparring you do, you'll realize how you'll have to vary your technique at different occasions, don't take a technique/stance as final say, theyare meant to give you a balanced foundation as well as education in the art of boxing, but as you progress you'll realize what works for you and what doesn't. keep at it, peace
                  funny how you post here but not on the other thread were that dude says he wants to fight you...you both probably some internet gangstas but its fun to read that thread

Comment

I throw my left hook with my thumb facing downwards. I turn my wrist in as I throw my left hook, just works for me better. It really depends what you're comfortable with tbh. I find I generate more power throwing my left hook this way...

Comment

Working...
                    X