Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I increase my punching power and punching speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elina jhon View Post
    1.Straight punching with 2-5kg dumbbells: three sets of 10-15 repetitions.
    2.Bench presses: three sets of 10 repetitions.
    3.Shoulder presses: three sets of 10 repetitions.
    4.One-arm lateral pullbacks
    Weights are a good way to strengthen muscles but not increase punching power. Especially if you are doing them in 10 rep sets which focuses on hypertrophy. Focus on low reps of 3 for 3 sets. Boxing is a weight making sport so you don't want to increase size. Instead of the lat pull backs deadlifts are very much more beneficial because they incorporate more muscles and train the body to call much more power forth to complete each rep.

Also, straight punching with dumbbells is not smart. The weight due to gravity is going down so when you punch straight with dumbbells you are just training your shoulder you pull your arm up. Resistance bands are perfect because they are pulling back on a horizontal plane instead of pushing down due to gravity.

Comment

Don't punch with weights
      5x a week
      Three rounds of shadow boxing boxing
      Three rounds on Heavy Bag
      Three rounds on double end bag
      Three rounds on speed bag
      Do 10 sets 10 reps
      Clap push ups(work your way up to triple)
      Double leg hops
      Lateral double leg hops

Comment

Originally posted by dman4093 View Post
        Don't punch with weights
        5x a week
        Three rounds of shadow boxing boxing
        Three rounds on Heavy Bag
        Three rounds on double end bag
        Three rounds on speed bag
        Do 10 sets 10 reps
        Clap push ups(work your way up to triple)
        Double leg hops
        Lateral double leg hops
        Why not....?

Comment

chop down trees like carl froch

Comment

but seriously, (well actually wood chopping/sledgehammer onto a tyre would be useful), i would say explosive movements along side your general boxing pad work sparring etc. Jump squats on to a box, kettlebell swings, snatch would all help, never to failure, and dont worry about slow eccentrics, your not looking to fatigue the muscles. Using the battle ropes would be good. I forgot the technical name of it, but the one where you get a bar set up vertically on the floor and push it infront of you when standing up in a fighters stance would be good (terrible description). General core work would be useful as well, ab wheel, hanging leg raises and progress.

Comment

Originally posted by chris232 View Post
              but seriously, (well actually wood chopping/sledgehammer onto a tyre would be useful), i would say explosive movements along side your general boxing pad work sparring etc. Jump squats on to a box, kettlebell swings, snatch would all help, never to failure, and dont worry about slow eccentrics, your not looking to fatigue the muscles. Using the battle ropes would be good. I forgot the technical name of it, but the one where you get a bar set up vertically on the floor and push it infront of you when standing up in a fighters stance would be good (terrible description). General core work would be useful as well, ab wheel, hanging leg raises and progress.
              Why never to failure?

I feel like my punch power decreases for a few days after squats....is it because i've been doing them to failure?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
                Why never to failure?

I feel like my punch power decreases for a few days after squats....is it because i've been doing them to failure?
                especially when you are working on power, you are looking to be explosive on every rep, and its almost more the nervous system that you are working than the muscles. Working to failure/or close to failure is if you want to build the muscle. If you look at most powerlifting programs its never to failure, or maybe one set per session is, same applies for power. Especially with your boxing you dont want your weights sessions to be counterproductive by slowing you down and making you tired for the sparring etc. My understanding anyway

Comment

Proper technique is what you need to focus on. Power and speed is a genetic talent which leads back to step 1 it is the only way to bring out your full potential and reach your genetic peak. Mayweather who is a well known gym rat and performance enhancing drug abuser did not develop Golovkin power.

Comment

mitt work and shadow boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post
                      Speed:

Shadow Boxing with weights 2lbs/1kg
                      Explosive exercise like clap push up, lifting tires, chopping wood etc
                      Working on your technique
                      Staying loose (Floyd Mayweather style Pad work helps )
                      Working your core and hips help alot in speed.

Power:
                      Working with resistance Bands
                      Also explosive exercises
                      Heavy bag- heavy hitting
                      Working your core + legs
                      Proper technique
                      As said above i would also try resistance bands using them to shadow box would be useful creating friction and making maneuvering a lot harder once this becomes easy you'r arms will fly

Comment

Working...
                      X