Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"People would treat Earth differently if they saw it from space" – ESA astronaut

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "People would treat Earth differently if they saw it from space" – ESA astronaut

“If we see the Earth from the outside, we realize how important it is to protect it; how thin the atmosphere is; how fragile it is. That’s something we don’t realize when we’re here because it all seems infinite and all resources seem undepletable,” Alexander Gerst said.

https://www.rt.com/news/325924-gerst...aut-iss-space/

“I wish everybody could fly to space once to see it with their own eyes and I bet we would treat our planet differently,” the astronaut, who spent 165 days at the International State Station (ISS) between May and November 2014, added.

Gerst said that space teaches one to really value the things that seem commonplace in life on Earth.

“When you’re in space you always miss a few things: mainly, the things that you had before and then you suddenly don’t have them... running in the forest is something that I really missed. Or – funny enough – because you float when you sleep, I actually missed falling down in my bed and just completely relaxing,” the 39-year-old said.

“It’s not only the most complex machine that humanity has ever built, but it was built by many different nations from different continents in space together. And despite some political troubles of these times, people work together very successfully there,” he said.

People are f#cking stupid. In particular mfers talking about how "fragile" the earth is. The earth is fine.

The earth will be fine for probably a million more years or some other insane number of years to us until something hits it or the sun explodes or some wild space **** like that goes down. Humans on the other hand are steady f#cking **** up on the planet enough that its going to f#ck up humans morality as far as living on this planet goes.

The planet is cool, humans on the planet not so much.

Comment

What we really need is better space technology so we can travel to other planets with **** we need and take it.

Comment

**** it, we tell earth how to live it doesnt tell us how to live!

We should just go to other planets and take what we need from it and bring it back. simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          People are f#cking stupid. In particular mfers talking about how "fragile" the earth is. The earth is fine.

The earth will be fine for probably a million more years or some other insane number of years to us until something hits it or the sun explodes or some wild space **** like that goes down. Humans on the other hand are steady f#cking **** up on the planet enough that its going to f#ck up humans morality as far as living on this planet goes.

If humans mess up the atmosphere, not only will we become extinct but the planet could become a dead lifeless rock.
          The fragility of the planet is more to do with the Earths ecosystems. There are lots of planets, but only one that we know of that supports life.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
            If humans mess up the atmosphere, not only will we become extinct but the planet could become a dead lifeless rock.
            The fragility of the planet is more to do with the Earths ecosystems. There are lots of planets, but only one that we know of that supports life.
            Well yea, but its us who are really getting f#cked up. This sorta "the earth is fragile" **** is fake. Its not fragile.

No one is concerned about the planet now or in the future really cuz it'll be here for a long ass time. Humans would f#ck up this planet 20x over if it could without a ****load of humans dying. Its people who got the problems, not the planet. I just wish people who talk about this would be real & quit bsing about the planet's mortality when its humans mortality at stake.

Thats probably why not enough people take this issue seriously yet. They are framing it wrong.

Comment

And here it is folks, the first idiot to post. Congrats....

We understand the planet will be fine, because the planet isn't alive in the way we are. We need clean water, clean food, good climate and an atmosphere that can sustain life.

If we continue down the path we are traveling, we will end human life on this planet or make it a miserable existence. The giant rock we call earth that is floating in space will be fine, but we won't.

The scientific community has said this a million times, people who study this for a living, yet you dismiss it so easily. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Comment

No Actually, humans wouldn't treat the Earth better if they saw it from space. IMHO, a view from space pales in comparison to the natural wonders as they appear on ground level. It is impossible to suspect the true grandeur of a planet from space, although it is aesthetically dazzling, nothing can compare to life down here. What would help people treat the world better are conscientious parents, and community leaders stressing the limited nature and preciousness of the resources we are managing as a species.

Humans need to be taught when they are very young, that they are merely a part of the vastness of the web of life. Only human arrogance places us immutably at the top, and only our single-mindedness puts all life at risk. I think humans should explore the universe, but not because we've been forced from our beautiful home into the coldness of space....

“We need the tonic of wildness—to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk, and hear the booming of the snipe; to smell the whispering sedge where only some wilder and more solitary fowl builds her nest, and the mink crawls with its belly close to the ground. At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be infinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.” —Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  And here it is folks, the first idiot to post. Congrats....

We understand the planet will be fine, because the planet isn't alive in the way we are. We need clean water, clean food, good climate and an atmosphere that can sustain life.

If we continue down the path we are traveling, we will end human life on this planet or make it a miserable existence. The giant rock we call earth that is floating in space will be fine, but we won't.

The scientific community has said this a million times, people who study this for a living, yet you dismiss it so easily. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
                  I question your intelligence if thats what you took away from what I said.

I'm just dismissing a stupid stance that too many people have with this "save the earth" bs. Save humans you dumb f#cking momos. Humans are fragile. You don't need to go to f#cking space to see humans are fragile. The angle people are taking with this is dumb & wrong & probably why its not caught on with enough people yet to make the needed changes. Tell people "YOU GONNA DIE MFER!!!!!" is getting more attention than "save the earth", in fact that should be the new public slogan for this issue "YOU GONNA DIE MFER!!!!"

Comment

I question your intelligence if thats what you took away from what I said.

I'm just dismissing a stupid stance that too many people have with this "save the earth" bs. Save humans you dumb f#cking momos. Humans are fragile. You don't need to go to f#cking space to see humans are fragile. The angle people are taking with this is dumb & wrong & probably why its not caught on with enough people yet to make the needed changes. Tell people "YOU GONNA DIE MFER!!!!!" is getting more attention than "save the earth", in fact that should be the new public slogan for this issue "YOU GONNA DIE MFER!!!!"
                    My intelligence is in question and you come back with this? Here let me spell it out for you genius, if we don't have an earth to live on, then humans can't survive.

They are one in the same and wanting to save the earth is synonymous with wanting to save human life. Only a complete moron can't see that. We are going to die, we are polluting the water, exhausting the food resources, and filling the atmosphere with so many toxins, it's actually eroding it.

We are digging out fossil fuels to pollute the atmosphere. There are facts, not opinion, but scientific facts. When republicans come into the Senate floor with a snowball and say everything is ok because I have a snowball in my hand, that is the problem.

It won't happen tomorrow, it won't happen in 100 years, but it will happen. We are literally destroying this planet and human life with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X