No announcement yet.

Kell Brook ready to face the world

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kell Brook ready to face the world

hxxp://timesonline.typepad.com/boxing/2009/09/kell-brook-rea%20dy-to-face-the-world.html

Confident, ambitious and gifted, Kell Brook is every inch a superstar-in-waiting. The unbeaten British welterweight champion, 23, is emerging as one of the rising forces in world boxing having cultivated a well-stocked cast of admirers as he’s steamrolled through the domestic ranks.

A product of the legendary Ingle Gym in Wincobank, Sheffield, Brook (pictured, left, with Michael Jennings) has - like Johnny Nelson, Junior Witter and, most famously, Naseem Hamed before him - been moulded into a high-class operator. The Hillsborough fighter has reawakened Sheffield’s rich boxing tradition - after turbulent times for veteran pair Clinton Woods and Junior Witter - and concedes that he’s following in some famous footsteps.

Brook said: “I’ve got a lot to live up to there are some good fighters from here but I’m on the road to living it up."

One name crops up more than most. That of course is Sheffield’s former poster boy and featherweight champion Hamed, whom Brook is regularly compared to.

“It’s good to be named alongside Naz obviously I mean we’re both from Sheffield,” he said. “I’m Kell Brook, I’m me, I’m my own fighter, and I don’t imitate Naz or anything like that."

Those comparisons, an inevitable but unfair burden, are fueled by Brook’s timing, lightening quick reflexes and punching power which mirrors the once-defeated southpaw showman. Those familiar skills have been fashioned by the expert work of the Ingles who have guided their star protégé from sparring with Naz as a nine-year-old to showing signs of emulating one of the Sheffield stable’s most famous names.

“The Ingles are very important – they’ve brought me up since day one," he said. "They know my body, they know how I think, they know me inside out, we’ve got a relationship down there. We get on really well and we both know exactly where we are with each other."

As the world stage beckons the welterweight hotshot is gearing up for the biggest fight of his career – the fourth defence of his British title in a mouth-watering clash against Jennings at the Echo Arena, Liverpool, on October 30.

"I’ve said I don’t want any easy route I want to fight the likes of Michael Jennings, who’s been in with (Miguel) Cotto before,” he said. “I think he has got a lot left, I think he’s a young 31,” Brook said. “He’s boxed for a world title this year, a couple of fights ago, so that speaks for itself. “He’s boxed at the top level. He’s still fresh, he’s got everything left.”

Brook, who has won all four of his British title fights with early stoppages, is looking to make the division’s top welterweights take notice of his fast-rising talents with a resounding victory against Jennings.

“I’m looking to make a statement, I’d like to do him faster than Cotto did but just to get the win is obviously great," he said. "That’s the icing on the cake if I can do one step ahead of Cotto. I’m looking at Cotto in four fights - maximum. By then I’ll be ready for one of them (world titles).”

A win over Jennings would put him on the brink of a world title shot and Brook is aware of the stakes.

"It would open doors for me, I’m No 7 in WBO rankings and I think I’m high up with other organisations," he said. "A win against Jennings would notch me up even further. After this fight, I’m not looking past Jennings, but I’d want to fight someone at the top in overall organisations - I’ll want to be up there."

Brook has time on his side in his pursuit of world glory, but he wants to box his way to the top of the 147-pound reckoning and stay there. "People say I’m young and there’s no rush but any young kid just wants to fight and prove that he’s the best in the world and once your there dominate your division," he said.

Kell looks like a good talent but with the 147 division being as stacked as it is (Mayweather,Pac,Cotto,Mosley,Bero and Margarito) he should focus on Euro glory, for the nextr year or 2 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post
      Kell looks like a good talent but with the 147 division being as stacked as it is (Mayweather,Pac,Cotto,Mosley,Bero and Margarito) he should focus on Euro glory, for the nextr year or 2 anyway.
      yeah he's not ready for the best yet. By the time he is ready to go from euro/contender level to the top (about 2 years like u said) WW might not be as stacked. Mosely is old and wants a retirment fight or 2, Mayweather, well God knows what his plans are, Cotto doesnt have a healthy lifestyle so wont be fighting at the top level much longer imo. Pac wants to go into politics. and as for Marg, hope he never gets a big fight again but we'll see what he's like when his suspension is up and he doesnt have plaster (there will always be doubt over his wins until he proves when he comes back that he can fight and win without it)

that leaves berto, who will no doubt improve, but is the least frightening of the bunch, and whatever other prospects there are and JWWs moving up

Comment

quick mention to clottey as well, imo he is one of the best fighters in the division. imo clottey, cotto, SSM, berto and pbf are all ahead of brook. imo he should concentrate on going after the likes of collazo and berto for now and forget about the SSM's and cotto's.

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
          quick mention to clottey as well, imo he is one of the best fighters in the division. imo clottey, cotto, SSM, berto and pbf are all ahead of brook. imo he should concentrate on going after the likes of collazo and berto for now and forget about the SSM's and cotto's.
          yeah i was gonna mention him, he'd give anyone a tough fight, but he's pretty big for a WW i wouldnt be surprised if he had to move to 154 soon. and he's not getting any younger either. Brook wont be fighting any of these guys for at least a year.

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
            yeah he's not ready for the best yet. By the time he is ready to go from euro/contender level to the top (about 2 years like u said) WW might not be as stacked. Mosely is old and wants a retirment fight or 2, Mayweather, well God knows what his plans are, Cotto doesnt have a healthy lifestyle so wont be fighting at the top level much longer imo. Pac wants to go into politics. and as for Marg, hope he never gets a big fight again but we'll see what he's like when his suspension is up and he doesnt have plaster (there will always be doubt over his wins until he proves when he comes back that he can fight and win without it)
            that leaves berto, who will no doubt improve, but is the least frightening of the bunch, and whatever other prospects there are and JWWs moving up
            Have to agree with that, its got to be one of the worst things a boxer can do.

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
            I cant believe i forgot about him, hes class.

Im not sure Kell could even live with Collazo at this point when i come to think of it. He is just going to have to play a bit of a waiting game for now.

Comment

Brook just needs to get a bit more xp and level up a couple times before taking on the top guys

Comment

Brook best be ready for Jennings, it won't be an easy fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2608 View Post
                  Brook best be ready for Jennings, it won't be an easy fight.
                  As awkward as Jennings can be, i see Brook beating him comfortably as long as he keeps composed throughout the fight.

Domestically, Brook is too good so i think he needs to aim for European glory for now and work his way up the rankings. Hopefully he can face a top 10 WW by the end of 2010/start of 2011, and aim for the elites in 2011.

The division would not be half as good then, and would give Brook a great pedestal to achieve a great career. The likes of Berto and Collazo would be too much for him at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                    As awkward as Jennings can be, i see Brook beating him comfortably as long as he keeps composed throughout the fight.

Domestically, Brook is too good so i think he needs to aim for European glory for now and work his way up the rankings. Hopefully he can face a top 10 WW by the end of 2010/start of 2011, and aim for the elites in 2011.

The division would not be half as good then, and would give Brook a great pedestal to achieve a great career. The likes of Berto and Collazo would be too much for him at the moment.
                    Definatley, he should try for the EBU. Though i was just think that since Jennings lasted 5 rounds with Cotto that Brook should not underestimate him, he is a tough mofo.

Comment

Working...
                    X