Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come many pro fighters go their entire career with only power in 1 arm?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
    They and their trainers are ******ed.

Canelo's trainers are great....You can see him actively learning in his training. Floyd when he throw the right over and over while working the mitts.. right from the chin, focusing on the pivot and transference of weight, that's how it should be done. Broner does it exceptionally.

I was screaming at Ward to throw the right hand. If he had even a basic 1-2 he could've stopped Kovalev. But Ward "the p4p 1" can't throw right hands..
    Ward's right hand has always been off to me, he had a right shoulder issue if I remember correctly right? I think he needs to throw the straight right rarely because it doesn't look proper and focus more on the right hook to the body that he kept landing on Kovalev and a short chopping right instead.

Even out of the southpaw stance, which he didn't switch much, his straight left seems better than his straight right out of the orthodox stance.

Comment

Cus De Amato didnt produce any one handed fighters, he is excluded

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
        Good points but c'mon, Oscar, Cotto, and Ward have done way more and are superior to guys like Canelo, Frampton, and freaking Chaves (Diego? Really?). Canelo for instance, has no mobility in his feet, so he's not a complete fighter either as it's not all about having a two fisted arsenal.
        Oh, I never said that it denotes greatness. It doesn't. But Oscar, Cotto and Ward would be ATG's if they'd been thought to use the back hands properly (Oscar probably is anyway).

I said they are the closest to being complete... Not that they are complete...not that they are the best.

Frampton lacks a bit of elusiveness, Canelo lacks footwork and Chaves lacks the boxing brain and footwork. But they don't rely on one punch or one strategy. They can lead, counter or box defensively. Rigo can't lead...He is better than the three above but that's something he just can't do. He is not a complete fighter. That's not to say he isn't the superior more effective fighter due to his natural gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          Look how long it took Manny to develop a right hook. It takes time. Time, drills, sparring, fighting. Look at Adonis the man is damn near 40 and still only has a left hand. **** is ridiculous.
          But man they don't want to learn. I know that sounds stupid but when you watch a fighter throw a punch a certain way....Then you try replicate it and you feel yourself improve....That's something anyone can do...But most instead just throw it wrongly because "It's faster, feel more powerful, easier not to get hit in return" while not realising that instilling the proper technique first leads to being even faster down the line.

Canelo isn't lightening with his hands...But his transitions between punches are so fast that his speed has increased and increased when added to his constant practice of proper technique.

A great example is that Floyd in his later fights no longer turned his checkhook over at the elbow as he realised he was no longer fast enough to get away with it, he instead choselto land a type of sweeping checkhook to make up for his decrease in speed.

Comment

power is god given talent. it's developed. it is not taught!

i don't care how long you work with paulie malignaggi, or who trains him, he'll never be a bruiser. ever.

it's even more of a talent when you are boxing 12 round. thta's a long, long time. if you need to work super hard / load up to punch hard you'll tire. some guys just move their hands and you go to sleep. kovalev is one of those kinds of punchers.

remember randall bailey? he didn't even look like he was trying to hit guys hard. they would just go out. it;'s all leverage, timing, shifting of the weght, and you can work on it, but you really can't teach it to somebody who didn't bring it with him to the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              Ward's right hand has always been off to me, he had a right shoulder issue if I remember correctly right? I think he needs to throw the straight right rarely because it doesn't look proper and focus more on the right hook to the body that he kept landing on Kovalev and a short chopping right instead.

Even out of the southpaw stance, which he didn't switch much, his straight left seems better than his straight right out of the orthodox stance.

ward had a shoulder problem from the time he was a boy. an injury liek that that isn't corrected and rehabbed early will effect you for the rest of your life. ward is also left handed. eats and writes with his left hand. it's a huge advantage to be left handed in most of the sports i've played, especially boxing.

Comment

Working...
              X