No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Eight Years, Four Fights, One Punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Eight Years, Four Fights, One Punch

by David P. Greisman - The measure of a fighter rests not just in what he is capable of, but also in how he applies his abilities against those who oppose him. The greatest boxers can examine what his opponent is, and then exploit what he is not.

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez were two very different fighters, Pacquiao a whirling dervish of speed and power, Marquez a wizard with skill and precision. But when faced with the other, they were as close as two very different fighters could be.

One point separated them in their first fight, which ended a draw, one point on one scorecard keeping Pacquiao from victory.

One point separated them in their second fight, which ended a split decision for Pacquiao, one point on one scorecard keeping the result from being a draw.

One point separated them in their third fight, which ended a majority decision for Pacquiao, one point on one scorecard keeping Marquez from being the winner.

One punch separated Pacquiao from his senses in the fourth fight.

The scorecards didn’t matter. The only number that mattered was the 10 count that Pacquiao would not be able to beat. He was unconscious, face down, flat on his stomach. Marquez stood on the second rope, raising his fists exultantly from a blue cord less than 20 feet from where his fallen rival lay prone. He was celebrating a triumph that had long eluded him. [Click Here To Read More]

Great fight

A great fight. Marquez was loading up on precise power shots to the head and body. Pacquiao got wreckless trying to finish the fight and Marquez was calm and collected despite his face getting busted up. The KO punch was a perfectly timed thing of beauty. He used all of Pacquiao's forward momentum against him and threw his whole body into that flush shot. It was picture perfect. Still seeing a fighter of Pacquiao's stature laying unconscious was completely stunning. Great win for JMM I look forward to his next fight.

Comment

two great warriors giving the people what they want and desrve ! unlike Fearweather who will fight no-one unless he has a great advantage . I hope he fights Canelo and gets his but tore up ! he's the shame of boxing so much talent but unwilling to give they paying fans what they want . PBF , the boy says it all !

Comment

Paq got Hattoned

Marquez like Martinez landed a great punch it KO’d the tiny Paq out cold. Paq was winning the fight and had Marquez on the run and bleeding. Great punch great win. Paq got Hattoned. How many Marquez’s are there???? Just Juan.

Comment

Paq is good not great

Great fighters do not get KO'd like Manny did? Paq got pulverized. Sugar Ray never happened to either of them. Ali- Floyd-Chavez not happening. Paq got smashed face first in an embarrassing manner. Paq is not great merely good. Big difference in great and good. When a pug gets KO'd like Paq went out you never ever recover from that mentally or physically.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeMack View Post
            Great fighters do not get KO'd like Manny did? Paq got pulverized. Sugar Ray never happened to either of them. Ali- Floyd-Chavez not happening. Paq got smashed face first in an embarrassing manner. Paq is not great merely good. Big difference in great and good. When a pug gets KO'd like Paq went out you never ever recover from that mentally or physically.
            Wrong.

All great fighters get KO'ed at some point in their careers if the keep fighting long enough.

Joey Maxim KO'ed Ray Robinson and Macho KO'ed Ray Leonard. Duran got annihilated by Hitman Hearns, who in turn got blistered by Hagler.

L. Lewis got smashed twice and was still a great heavyweight. Joe Louis, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson and Mike Spinks all got put to sleep in the ring. While not as bad as Manny, they still got seriously KO'ed.

In fact, in my opinion, a fighter cannot be considered great unless he gets KO'ed because that shows he took on a challenge to test his greatness.

That's my one beef with Floyd -- he never tested his ability. And I'm not talking about fighting Manny, who is smaller that he is.

To be great, I think Floyd should fight for the middleweight title. Even if he gets KO'ed by Golovkin, his status will go up because the tested the limits of his fighting ability by giving up the advantage of reach, weight and strength.

Comment

thas deep

Last edited by DoomCity202; 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Paq now has fighters DOUBT

It's called DOUBT. When a fighter gets KO'd in a devastating manner like Paq did or even beaten badly and out classed horrible like Marquez did against Floyd then DOUBT sets into the fighters mind. DOUBT cause the pug to think am I any good what happens if I get hit hard again? Is my opponent that much better than me? Should I fight smarter and be less risky? DOUBT ruins a fighter.

Comment

You are the example of the reason why there should be an IQ test in over all common sense before entering this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                    You are the example of the reason why there should be an IQ test in over all common sense before entering this forum!
                    Pacman will always be know as one of the greats regardless he got knock out the way he did, that could happen to any profighter, Pac took that risk and it cost him big time, Floyd never takes that risk just watch the Mosley fight, even though he had him hurt, Floyd never goes for the kill, because he knew his ass has a chance of getting hurt in return trying to do so. the differance between Floyd and Paquiao is that Paquiao is a true warrior, Floyd is all about the money.

Comment

Working...
                    X