Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Errol Spence: If Not Pacquiao, I'll Smoke Shawn Porter, Too

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thurman somewhere on the other side of the hemisphere 🥊

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
      His mission (not yours) is to clean out 147 so let him try.
      Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
      So he should abandon unifying at 147? He shouldn't try and become undisputed at 147? He'd certainly make less fighting Harrison than he'd make fighting Manny or Porter so he should seek a smaller purse at 154?
      Originally posted by KrusherStan View Post
      Doing so, he's giving a favour to Keith, Porter, etc. They need to pay their ducking with a whooping from Spence. #ManDown #StrapSeason
      So basically, according to y’all, a guy being touted as arguably the best fighter in the world should sit around hoping guys that haven’t shown any interest in fighting him all of a sudden have a change of heart. And while doing so, waste prime years of his career fighting fringe contenders and smaller guys. Gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBricks View Post
        I agree. It should happen now, that's how us fans feel.
        These managers think like business men so they want to keep the checks for them and their fighters coming in for as long as possible. I get it but it sucks for us fans.

If Top Rank offers a 50 - 50 split with no other stipulations and Spence passes up the fight, yeah it's a duck.

If Top Rank offers a multi fight offer like he did with Wilder then I don't necessarily feel that's a duck. Only because of the fact being loyal to who to started in the business with. That one is tricky for me.
        I meant that its a duck for Top Rank/Crawford because they know Spence wont even consider that deal.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
          So basically, according to y’all, a guy being touted as arguably the best fighter in the world should sit around hoping guys that haven’t shown any interest in fighting him all of a sudden have a change of heart. And while doing so, waste prime years of his career fighting fringe contenders and smaller guys. Gotcha
          How is beating Manny and earning fans or beating Porter/Thurman and unifying a waste of prime years? The post I responded to recommended that he skip fighting them. Your post indicates that he won't get those fights because those opponents won't ever fight him. I feel PBC will not allow those guys to forever duck if that's what you suggest they will do.

Comment

How is beating Manny and earning fans or beating Porter/Thurman and unifying a waste of prime years? The post I responded to recommended that he skip fighting them. Your post indicates that he won't get those fights because those opponents won't ever fight him. I feel PBC will not allow those guys to forever duck if that's what you suggest they will do.
            Manny is old. Porter is a paper champ. Thurman doesn’t wanna fight him. I don’t care about Spence’s bank account. I’m a boxing fan that wants meaningful fights.

Comment

Haymon is not their promoter and has zero leverage to make them do anything. Mikey got paid 8-9 mill for that farce and I'm sure now that Porter knows this he will want something close to that. If they try to lowball him I'm sure he will walk away like he has already done before.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
                Manny is old. Porter is a paper champ. Thurman doesn’t wanna fight him. I don’t care about Spence’s bank account. I’m a boxing fan that wants meaningful fights.
                Depends on how define meaningful. I see the meaning in all three of those fights. Regardless if he would be considered the favorite in the unification fights, they are meaningful because they are the champions of his era. Shouldn't he prove he is the best at 147 in the ring?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
                  Haymon is not their promoter and has zero leverage to make them do anything. Mikey got paid 8-9 mill for that farce and I'm sure now that Porter knows this he will want something close to that. If they try to lowball him I'm sure he will walk away like he has already done before.
                  Haymon is the adviser. He will advise them that it's in their best interests to fight Spence or not get fight dates. Both Broner and Berto have spoken on this before.

Comment

Depends on how define meaningful. I see the meaning in all three of those fights. Regardless if he would be considered the favorite in the unification fights, they are meaningful because they are the champions of his era. Shouldn't he prove he is the best at 147 in the ring?
                    A belt doesn’t make the champion. The champion makes the belt. Porter got beat soundly by Brook, who was beaten soundly by Spence. Porter also lost to Thurman. So what exactly does beating Porter mean for Spence? Not much.

Manny is old. Spence will never get credit for beating Manny. It’s a money grab. I’m not knocking Spence for wanting the payday. I’m just saying it doesn’t interest me. And in terms of his legacy, the fight means pretty much nothing.

Thurman is an example of how irrelevant belts become when the guy holding them doesn’t conduct himself as a champion. Thurman’s act over the last 2+ years have rendered him almost irrelevant. And the little relevance he had left flew out the window in his last performance. A fight with Spence isn’t nearly as meaningful as it would have been a year or two ago. And that’s due to no fault of Errol’s.

The only real meaningful fight at welterweight for Spence is Crawford. And that’s mostly because of how Crawford is viewed P4P moreso than anything Bud has done as a welterweight. And as we know, a Crawford-Spence showdown is gonna be close to impossible to make.

Me wanting to see Spence move up and take on new challenges isn’t a knock on Spence. It’s a compliment. I’m not a big belt guy. But let’s say Spence moved up and took the fights I suggested. If he beat Harrison and then challenged Hurd. Wouldn’t that make that fight a three belt unification? Maybe I missing something. But what’s difference between unifying trinkets at 154, as opposed to 147???

Comment

Haymon is the adviser. He will advise them that it's in their best interests to fight Spence or not get fight dates. Both Broner and Berto have spoken on this before.
                      An advisor cant blackmail because he has no control over who or when they fight. They can do whatever they want being promotional free agents. See Jacobs leaving Showtime to go back to HBO for the GGG fight, signing a network deal with HBO, and signing with Hearn for examples of this. PBC tries to freeze out Porter he will be fighting Crawford on ESPN paying Haymon his 15% just like Khan did with Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                      X