No announcement yet.

3rd Amateur Fight - Split Decision

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Amateur Fight - Split Decision

Figured I'd make a separate thread. My original opponent backed out the night before the fight, but a guy in the tournament from the 165lb division that had a bye (since there was an odd number of people), was gracious enough to fight me. I took the fight regardless of a 12+lb weight difference. The guy was 5-1 and was from the same gym as my original opponent. I did learn that he dropped out of the tournament after our fight for undisclosed reasons.

I lost a split decision. I really thought I did enough to win at least 2 of the rds. I definitely hurt him in the 3rd but I wasted a good amount of energy trying to follow it up and he did a good job of tying me up and recovering (and fighting back). I spent most of my training trying to cut weight, and then had to fight at my old weightclass lol. Now that I'm down here though I can focus on more sprints and less long distance runs before my next fight (May 3rd as long as I get matched).

Here's vid (sorry its in vertical, clearly I wasn't the one recording lol): https://youtu.be/rCC2BFS2AW4

I'm in Red.

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
    Figured I'd make a separate thread. My original opponent backed out the night before the fight, but a guy in the tournament from the 165lb division that had a bye (since there was an odd number of people), was gracious enough to fight me. I took the fight regardless of a 12+lb weight difference. The guy was 5-1 and was from the same gym as my original opponent. I did learn that he dropped out of the tournament after our fight for undisclosed reasons.

I lost a split decision. I really thought I did enough to win at least 2 of the rds. I definitely hurt him in the 3rd but I wasted a good amount of energy trying to follow it up and he did a good job of tying me up and recovering (and fighting back). I spent most of my training trying to cut weight, and then had to fight at my old weightclass lol. Now that I'm down here though I can focus on more sprints and less long distance runs before my next fight (May 3rd as long as I get matched).

Here's vid (sorry its in vertical, clearly I wasn't the one recording lol): https://youtu.be/rCC2BFS2AW4

I'm in Red.
    I thought like you that you did enough to win the fight despite the weight difference you looked good for your only third fight .I would bust my balls to get to 201 and end up having to fight a 240 lbs super heavy weight or show up for a smoker around 205 or so and get stuck fighting a monster but at your weight that must have been tough fighting at a 12 pound disadvantage and a guy with a little more exp.Keep working hard and keep us up to date with videos of your next fight.

Comment

He dropped out of the tournament because you knocked the sh&t out of him in the third.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
        I thought like you that you did enough to win the fight despite the weight difference you looked good for your only third fight .I would bust my balls to get to 201 and end up having to fight a 240 lbs super heavy weight or show up for a smoker around 205 or so and get stuck fighting a monster but at your weight that must have been tough fighting at a 12 pound disadvantage and a guy with a little more exp.Keep working hard and keep us up to date with videos of your next fight.
        Aye thanks man! I couldn't really tell all that much, he didn't seem that much bigger or stronger, but I fought a dude at 170 for my first fight weighing in at 161 and a dude at 165 for my second so was probably used to it.
        I'll most definitely keep posting vids! I think the next one is May 4th? whatever that Friday is. Hoping I get a matchup in my weightclass this time.

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
        He dropped out of the tournament because you knocked the sh&t out of him in the third.
        Haa since I don't have anymore information I like to think I knocked him out of the tourney lol.

Comment

You did well but he gave you some work too with his left hand.

You look like you tired a bit too much by the end.

Try to improve your snap and your stamina working the bag like a maniac.

Comment

I'm in Red.
            Good work! I saw you working his body at the first bell but you didn't stay on it for very long. I saw that you finally quit with your jab after the 1st round, did you corner instruct you to do that? You were landing your right hands but your feet were so bad that you didn't/couldn't follow up with your hooks. You gotta fix that. Otherwise, I would say that you put up a good fight. Good job man. So what's your record now? …….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
              You did well but he gave you some work too with his left hand.

You look like you tired a bit too much by the end.

Try to improve your snap and your stamina working the bag like a maniac.
              Thanks man. He definitely was pretty skilled, and was trying to pressure/bully me I felt like.

You don't get a great view with, but I kinda gassed myself a bit chasing a followup after I hit him hard in the third a couple times. Then I was loading up on that right hand over and over again which he started to duck. I was seeing red at that point and didn't realize I should've thrown the uppercut.

I also mostly battled with losing the weight, so I wasn't able to do really any sprints the last two weeks beforehand like I usually would. Had to stick to the diet and long distance runs pretty much up until 2 days before the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                Good work! I saw you working his body at the first bell but you didn't stay on it for very long. I saw that you finally quit with your jab after the 1st round, did you corner instruct you to do that? You were landing your right hands but your feet were so bad that you didn't/couldn't follow up with your hooks. You gotta fix that. Otherwise, I would say that you put up a good fight. Good job man. So what's your record now? …….Rockin'
                Ha thanks man. Yeah I was slipping some of those in, but eventually started catching him with the right and got a little too fixated on it. I was loading up and coming in way too far trying to blast him and he would duck under and we'd get tied up. Definitely going to work on that some more.
                Appreciate the kind words! I'm now 1-2 in amateur fights, not super worried about the record at this point, but eventually will start caring about winning as I get more experience. Really greatful I got to fight!

Comment

I'm in Red.
                  Why only 2 minute rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
                    Why only 2 minute rounds?
                    Non tournament bouts are 2 minute rds.

Comment

Working...
                    X