No announcement yet.

A major flaw in the DAZN model

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Golden isn't eating cat food at all. They're eating better than ever before with their own deal. Finally able to make money without Canelo.

Which is a good thing because they aren't making much from Canelo without PPV.

And nobody has any idea how much DAZN pays GBP in licensing, if any at all, for a fighter they've signed to broadcast his fights. Golden Boys job is to promote Canelo. Thats it.
    Aren't promoters taking like 30 percent of a fighter's purse? Isn't GBP charging Canelo same percentage as other promoters?

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
      You know DAZN is going to fail when they are paying derveryanchenko $5.5 million to fight GGG. That boy is like a F tier PBC fighter in terms of popularity

And they upset the emperor Canelo?!?!?!?

Canelo needs to squad up with PBC, Uncle Al will save the day.
      are they really paying Derev 5.5 mil for that fight?? jesus..

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        Its not a flaw, and its really no different than a fighter signed to HBO, or whoever. The broadcast rights contract is just a flat fee for the broadcast rights. Sure, PPV is a different entity, but less than 1/10th of 1% of all pro fighters will ever headline a PPV, so its not really a widespread concern.

And depending on the promotional contract structure with the fighter, the promoter can profit off the live gate, foreign rights (in markets not serviced by DAZN), event sponsors, etc, etc. And they might get option deals on opponents of their A-list fighters, which is an entirely different revenue stream. And the promotional agreement itself might even stipulate some type of revenue share on the broadcast rights.

Believe me, the promoter wont be eating cat food anytime soon.......
        I remember reading an article by Thomas Hauser about a purse bid for a Hopkins-Daniels title fight.
        HBO was trying to sign Hopkins, and Don King was involved.
        Daniels manager got played, Daniels made 150,000 and the eventual revenue split worked out to 96%-4%

Comment

Yes. According to the article because of Oscar's absenteeism Diaz has had to take more control. I think they thought they would have a deal so the agreement was you don't call the purse bid and if we don't have the deal done by this date Canelo will vacate
          I don't think that's what happened at all! Yes Oscar can be an idiot but why would Oscar, Eric Gomez, and even Bernard Hopkins give Robert Diaz so much responsibility and say-so??
          It just don't make no sense! I think Oscar and Eric planned it to get Canelo stripped and they making Robert to be the bad guy but Robert knew all along what was going on and he's just going along with it...
          IDK why Oscar and Eric would want to get Canelo stripped of the IBF but I believe there's a hidden agenda and Oscar and Eric have their reason...
          I think time will tell what's really going on but Oscar and Eric are risking losing Canelo among other fighters and future signings...
          Some weird shet is going on at Golden Boy promotions but I just don't believe the story Oscar is portraying,... Wish I knew what the real story is but I don't....

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
            Aren't promoters taking like 30 percent of a fighter's purse? Isn't GBP charging Canelo same percentage as other promoters?
            Noooooooo. Managers get a cut of a fighter purse, not promoters. Promoters make their money off the event.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
              the promoter predicts the event revenue and tries to reach an agreement with the fighter that will still leave a little meat on the bone.............

And other than some purse bid scenarios, it is against the law for a promoter to take a percentage of a fighters contracted purse. (forget about the absurd top rank-pac 27% stories, as that involved a revenue share agreement, NOT purse deductions)
              Last edited by OnePunch; 08-06-2019, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Noooooooo. Managers get a cut of a fighter purse, not promoters. Promoters make their money off the event.
                Thank you. Didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                  the promoter predicts the event revenue and tries to reach an agreement with the fighter that will still leave a little meat on the bone.............

And other than some purse bid scenarios, it is against the law for a promoter to take a percentage of a fighters contracted purse. (forget about the absurd top rank-pac 27% stories, as that involved a revenue share agreement, NOT purse deductions)
                  Thank you for the enlightenment. Yeah, I was actually referring to that Pac situation.

Comment

Working...
                  X