Ducking, dipping, sliding lower and quicker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducking, dipping, sliding lower and quicker

Hi there,

Just watching james toney makes me wonder ways other than sparring one can be able to slip, dip and slide quicker? Is it squats? Is it just practicing it shadow boxing? How can you improving your ducking speed? I.e Mike Tyson could duck a punch almost as quickly as throwing a punch

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
    Hi there,

Just watching james toney makes me wonder ways other than sparring one can be able to slip, dip and slide quicker? Is it squats? Is it just practicing it shadow boxing? How can you improving your ducking speed? I.e Mike Tyson could duck a punch almost as quickly as throwing a punch
    I had to work a long time on that and it came together for me around the same time I got my hips really working for hooks. If you try using your legs/knees, you'll just hurt yourself. There's a coordination between the shoulders, waist, legs and feet that's generally referred to as "hips" in boxing. It's not just letting gravity drop you but has more to do with how you shift your center of gravity and the push-pull momentum of shifting your weight. It's not something you can just learn, like a punch. It's a type of coordination you develop over months/years of training so stick with it and it will come to you.

Comment

Red Fox is an intelligent poster, basically summed it up and hit it on the head when he said balance and coordination. Also he was 100% correct about hurting your self if you use your legs and knees, look at what happened to Tim Bradley in his first Pac fight and Tim has awesome upper body movement, you have to be very careful. I think where people get confused when training is they try to bend and move their body in un-natural ways. Most of boxing movement is based off natural movement and flow of the body, sure you have un-orthodox guys but they are rarely any good.

Anyways with that said, 2 exercises you can do is tying a rope from ring post to ring post in an X shape and bob and weave with the natural flow of your feet. Also, as a avid runner I hate the tread mill but there are some good uses for it so I would suggest getting on one with a very high incline and walk at a slow pace slipping side to side (hands up) as you step, left foot forward/slip left, right forward/slip right. Itll take a while to get a good balance but once you get that down you can start practicing some more complex movements but it all starts with your balance and coordination.

Btw, shadow boxing is more of a speed exercise & sparring is good for reflexes and confidence, neither exercise will really help (to much) with what you are trying to accomplish.

Comment

Hi there,

I believe, what you are looking for is this:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=443008

LoadedWraps' first thread.

I tear up just looking at it.

Comment

Hi there,

Try Tyson squats a.k.a Catskill knee bends.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Try Tyson squats a.k.a Catskill knee bends.

Thanks! Nice technique. Thanks everyone for the suggestions but this is what I was more looking for. Technique is good but in order to make the movements quicker I need to build explosive leg/hip speed and this is the type of thing I was looking for

Comment

Thanks! Nice technique. Thanks everyone for the suggestions but this is what I was more looking for. Technique is good but in order to make the movements quicker I need to build explosive leg/hip speed and this is the type of thing I was looking for
              When working stuff like that, integrate the bob and weave. Do your "Tyson Squat" and roll to the right a little with your shoulders. Come back up and turn into a straight right. On the next one roll to the left as you reach the bottom of the squat and turn into a left hook as you come up. Before you know it, you're instinctually responding with counterpunches after your defensive maneuvers. It's also juts a great exercise that I integrate into my workouts.

Comment

Drop yourself and gravity will do it (: just let it down.

Comment

Hi there,

Ducking is 100% skill. Drop, catch yourself. The hard part for a noob is not firing off your thigh muscles as if squatting, which is what you naturally want to do, that will slow you down alot. You can only drop so fast though, butterbean has the fastest duck but the ring cant sustain the g force so you never see him use it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    Ducking is 100% skill. Drop, catch yourself. The hard part for a noob is not firing off your thigh muscles as if squatting, which is what you naturally want to do, that will slow you down alot. You can only drop so fast though, butterbean has the fastest duck but the ring cant sustain the g force so you never see him use it.
                    I agree however you're not getting my point. I.e a fat james toney at cruiser still had a lot of skill but at 160 he could duck much quicker. I'm talking about the speed not the technique or awareness. Obviously part of it is to be at a lower weight (from your previous posts that I've seen I know that you're struggling with the weight issue), but there must be other exercises to speed up the movement

Comment

Working...
                    X