Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it true that smart/intelligent people are more likely to get depressed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it true that smart/intelligent people are more likely to get depressed?

you know, the more smarter you are, the more likely you get depressed,sad?

"ignorance is bliss"
    yes
    64.00%
    no
    36.00%

Bollocks...

Comment

I've been depressed twice in my life. Once I was in my mid teens and I was pretty dumb if you ask me[smart only for my neighborhood's standards, but dumb outside of it]. Then even when I became more intelligent I got depressed again.

So no, depression does not discriminate according to people's intelligence. It strikes whoever depending on their situation.

Comment

yes.

high intelligence and/or creativity puts ppl in a state of mind beyond that of the average man, making it difficult for them to relate to others and vice versa. so highly intelligent ppl often struggle to create bonds with ppl and are more likely to be lonely than others, which can then turn into depression.

obviously stupid ppl can get depressed and smart ppl can be happy as well, but there is a pattern.

Comment

i got love for being slight.

Comment

I always believed with intelligence one would have an understanding of perspective and be in better control of moods. Not to say intelligent people are immune to depression, just that many of them can work their way out of it.

Comment

I'd say only the highly introverted ones.

Comment

There's IQ and there's Emotional Intelligence(EI). I still have to check whether there's a correlation between people with very high IQ but under developed EI and depression.

Comment

I would say there's a correlation between depression and high intelligence. However causation hasn't been demonstrated.
                  Last edited by deliveryman; 11-02-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
                    There's IQ and there's Emotional Intelligence(EI). I still have to check whether there's a correlation between people with very high IQ but under developed EI and depression.
                    This man knows what he's talking about and I can tell has taken classes.

Many people don't know about EI. Kadyo, one thing I can tell you about EI and the difference is many great "Leaders" of the world had great EI (i.e mostly all U.S presidents); wheras many people with high IQ's weren't necessarily leaders.

In fact, EI can even be inherited from generation to generation (i.e The Kennedy's). My point is, with EI, comes leadership; with high IQ, just comes a high IQ.

I'd take EI any day of the week.

Good input here.
                    Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 11-02-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X