Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i dont understand why wilder is getting so much credit....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
    Wlad-41

Povetkin-39

these are among Joshua's top wins so why the hate for Wilder-Ortiz?
    Either win over Ortiz should be looked at as about as good as AJ's win over Povetkin imo...first one over Ortiz was a better win than that imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_1013 View Post
      Fair point about the layoff for Wlad...the way in which AJ won was impressive to me...he outboxed Wlad better than whatever the hell Fury was doing vs Wlad...and then he got hurt and came back with great heart and skill to get the KO...I was impressed.

Nothing praiseworthy about the fight...Vanes was a good fighter when he was active and at 154...inactive and at 160, he was a fine replacement on short notice for me...especially when he was only in there because GGG's opponent tested positive.

I am one of the main guys on here who routinely says, for every fighter, than a win over a quality, prime fighter at their best weight is as good or better than beating a faded, shot, old, past great above his best weight...how faded the former great is, who the former great is, etc, all that matters too though.

Donaire and Wlad are two guys who take great care of themselves and were never easy outs, even at their end stages.

So the only reason I somewhat 'slight' Deontay's wins over Ortiz is because he is/was old, and Wilder was getting outboxed in both fights besides the KO...if Ortiz was in his prime then I would say that was a great win and arguably better than AJ's win over a faded Wlad.

But I have always rated Ortiz and think he can really box...so I give Wilder some credit for those wins.

Never really followed Donaire but he KOed two guys to get to the final...pretty clear he was in good form and came to fight against Inoue.

I will say that I do find it mildly amusing that the two of you hype up an Ortiz win(s) for Wilder...but malign certain other fighters for more dominant wins over similar quality, younger, fighters than Ortiz.

To each his own I suppose.
      Who am I maligning? I been an Inoue fan and took nothing away from his victory over Donaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Who am I maligning? I been an Inoue fan and took nothing away from his victory over Donaire.
        Hey man as long as you're consistent...and even if you're not, everyone is entitled to an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_1013 View Post
          I would say that GGG faced a little better competition overall than Wilder has so far, even before the Canelo fights for GGG, when GGG was up there on a lot of pfp lists....and I would say GGG has faced a few more quality fighters/fights overall than the maybe 10 decent fights Wilder has been in.

The big difference there though is Wilder has been routinely outboxed in a lot of his fights, before he scores the KO...GGG is usually up 8-1, 10-0 etc before he got his KOs.

Also Wilder went 12 rounds with Stiverne in a very tough fight for him...so all of that kind of lost him a lot of steam as far as ever really being considered a pfp guy.

You can't get outboxed like he has so often and be considered a pfp guy...he isn't as bad as some say either though...he knows what his strengths are and plays to them.
          My point was that that poster (Madison Boxing) made post after post about how ggg was p4p #1, atg, hofer and would beat Robinson, Monzon and Hagler and all of this was before ggg had even beaten Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
            My point was that that poster (Madison Boxing) made post after post about how ggg was p4p #1, atg, hofer and would beat Robinson, Monzon and Hagler and all of this was before ggg had even beaten Jacobs.
            I am one who feels GGG gets too much sh.it for his resume even before Jacobs...I thought it was pretty solid, and the way he dominated a lot of quality fighters impressed me.

But we are all an entitled to an opinion, some get on GGG for his resume and think he was overrated, it is what it is.

Kind of a tangent but I think it is unfair to some of those past greats to compare them to modern day fighters, mainly due to the modern guys cutting so much weight...a lot of those fights those guys had, they had to do same day weigh ins.

I will add that I have a lot of respect for the past greats, and some guys I feel could compete in any era...SRR and Hagler come to mind for that.

Monzon, I've seen tape on him and I have to say I am not tremendously impressed...lol sorry for the tangent but just my 2 cents with all that.

I do think that Wilder gets too much sh.it from people though...he has been improving the last few years and on his best day would be a problem for anyone EVER at HW imo....hard to get past those long arms and it just takes 1 or 2 shots from him and it's over.

Comment

People always go overboard on here after a KO like that, it's wrong, but to give him no credit at all is also wrong. I think he's improved recently and 10 defences isn't easy. I believe that Fury was robbed in their fight though and expect Wilder to lose the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
                why praise it??? what is there to praise about it??...
                Joshua was 17-0 at the time. A "baby champion" some might say.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
                  Joshua was 17-0 at the time. A "baby champion" some might say.
                  Yes, and that was a damn good win IMO but the same posters wanna shout the "OLD" crap in other cases...just pointing out old is only used to create certain agendas

Comment

Wilder's straight right when he throws it correctly is an incredibly fast, hard deadly punch and that alone makes him a much watch boxer. His other punches are all very hard but his straight right makes him special. With the exception of Fury he has KOed everyone he ever fought and with a different ref I think he would have KOed Fury as well. Maybe he will KO Fury in the rematch.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say Wilder's vicious straight right makes him a MUST watch boxer.

Comment

Working...
                      X