Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: I Built Golden Boy, White Had Fertittas To Build UFC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
    Honestly I can’t sit here and criticise either as they’re more successful than I’ll ever be. Both deserve respect however I’m just saying Oscar didn’t build goldenboy alone and white didn’t either however that doesn’t diminish their accomplishments
    Honestly, who builds anything alone?

You go in with partners and investors.

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post
      GBP never made any money under Schaefer.
      Please don't mention it did because of the Mayweather fights.
      Floyd was too greedy to share the loot, and he's giving GBP a flat fee.
      What Schaefer got was some measure of control over the undercards,
      which he's able to populate with his fighters.
      My how things change. You were probably one of the ones saying that Mayweather was a GB fighter and only had some fake promotional company. Now that Oscar needs defending you guys switch it up lmao

Comment

I really don't understand the appeal of Oscar. I have no idea why people defend him (same for Floyd and Trump)

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
          stop the nonsense. Floyd spent yrs fighting nothing but golden boy signed fighters on ppv and you don't think they made any money off that? Please.
          GBP was getting $2 mil flat per Floyd fight.
          Not even enough to pay for Schaefer's undercard fighters,
          not to mention promotional expenses.
          Like I mentioned, Floyd was too greedy to share some percentage.
          Schaefer had other plans, so he didn't care and obviously wasn't acting in the best interest of GBP, which was almost bankrupt when Schaefer left.
          Last edited by rickJen; 12-14-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Dana knew that the UFC had peaked when they sold, that's why he got ahead and got top dollar. Man 4 billion! UFC is no where worth near that now.

Comment

GBP was getting $2 mil flat per Floyd fight.
              Not even enough to pay for Schaefer's undercard fighters,
              not to mention promotional expenses.
              Like I mentioned, Floyd was too greedy to share some percentage.
              Schaefer had other plans, so he didn't care and obviously wasn't acting in the best interest of GBP, which was almost bankrupt when Schaefer left.
              you have a link to back up your claim that golden boy only made 2 mil flat fee for every mayweather fight? Sounds like fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
                you have a link to back up your claim that golden boy only made 2 mil flat fee for every mayweather fight? Sounds like fake news.
                Doe, even Floyd can't honestly say my fights made GBP millions of dollars richer.
                He'll cringe to death.
                Can you imagine him sharing millions to Dela Hoya's company?
                Schaefer was probably hoping he'll throw him some bones under the table.
                What Floyd gave was mere lip service, "I'll hire Schaefer to head my TMT company."
                It never materialized.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAnitaSmith View Post
                  I really don't understand the appeal of Oscar. I have no idea why people defend him (same for Floyd and Trump)
                  The question is how are any of those at all alike?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFynest View Post
                    I think you missed the point. Dana White was a minority owner in UFC. The Fertitta's were the main ones that ran the ship. Dana answered to them.
                    Oscar 100% owns Golden Boy. He answers to one. Shaeffer and Hopkins are employees of Oscar (well Shaeffer is now an ex employee)
                    Only issue with that is that Dana was the one doing all the work; with the Fertita's money, but he led the team working through the contracts, dealing with TV, fighter relations, production, etc.

The money that everyone has made is whatever, but if the UFC, as a company, would vanish tomorrow, Dana White has the experience to build something new; I doubt that either Fertita brother would know how or want to build a brand new MMA company from scratch.

Richard Schaefer was the key man for Golden Boy Promotions, even if it was Oscar's money; the moment that Schaefer was pushed out, all the outside investors basically wanted out immediately, TV partners moved elsewhere, and things kind of fell apart as the exodus of fighters happened too (since no one seemed to trust Oscar as a reliable partner).

Things eventually started to settle down, but it had near nothing to do with Oscar; Eric Gomez got some confidence going, folks began to see that Eric Gomez was a reliable contact person, so now Eric Gomez is firmly in Schaefer's old spot, running the actual company (if Oscar goes on another bender that threatens an Alvarez event, do not be shocked to see Alvarez leave for Canelo Promotions, bringing along Eric Gomez to run the day-to-day for the US events).

If Oscar ever had to be the actual operator for his company, he'd fail spectacularly.

Comment

GBP never made any money under Schaefer.
                      Please don't mention it did because of the Mayweather fights.
                      Floyd was too greedy to share the loot, and he's giving GBP a flat fee.
                      What Schaefer got was some measure of control over the undercards,
                      which he's able to populate with his fighters.
                      Schaefer was able to leverage the Mayweather relationship to basically secure a massive chunk of HBO's budget, a major chunk of Showtime's budget, and venue exclusivity over some of the best venues in the country (nevermind the actual money investors that he brought in). Flat fee or not, you're getting two massive Floyd checks, and rights fees for maybe another 25-30 quality shows each year.

100 nickels is still $5.

Don't make yourself look dumb.

Comment

Working...
                      X