No announcement yet.

F Kony and F invisible children

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F Kony and F invisible children

Yes Kony is a really bad man and should be stopped but this man has done bad things since the 70s a marketing campaign isnt gonna fix 25 years worth of problems. the fact is invisible children only uses 30% of money donated and the rest goes to personal gain and marketing, filmaking etc.. show how much they care as much as raising THEIR own organisation should I say

I like to point out that the video was really well made and it's moving, its so good that they made half a million on that video alone, spreading the message and making them more rich is beyond me.

You think killing Kony will bring peace.. there are thousands more kids out there take his place. They are brain washed, it's their lifestyle, its their way of life they don't know nothing but killing. Yes its sad. its disgusting

Im not saying dont care, it is a big deal but it's not the only thing out there. there's heaps of other problems around the world. Dont just follow what everyone else's tell you.. Do your own research.. I swear people are like sheeps..

if we so caring and loving about this why aint we doing the same thing for the kids in Africa, kids in the streets in china, India. animal cruelty list goes on

So the campaign saying Kony dies it over, listen to celebrities because they tell you to because we really don't have a mind of our own..

All because there are other things we should address, doesn't mean something shouldn't be done about this either. . .

That's like saying "why are there campaigns to help sick and poor kids in Africa, but not here in *enter your country*"? Or "why is there campaigns to help abused animals, but not kids" Some people choose to advocate certain causes, and some choose to advocate others. . . All because one might be more important, doesn't mean the other simply doesn't exist. . .

I DO AGREE with the gist of what you're saying - ridding the country of one evil man won't stop kids from being kidnapped and forced into combat. . . And why is it people will only do something, or suddenly "care" when celebrities get behind a cause? Why can't people do their own research and help other less publicized causes? Why can't they even help out in their own community by volunteering their time every now and then?

And if the founders of these campaigns are really profiting personally off the money being donated, then that's messed up. . . If they use the money to the cause, and don't spend it on themselves, then that's ok. . .

Comment

I read that some ridiculously low percentage of their money actually goes to the cause. A lot of is spent on staff salaries, trips, vehicles, etc.

Comment

I'm sick of hearing about this ******ed **** already, and it's only been news for a few days. I really wish Kony's legion of brainwashed child militants would just shoot these do-good, fake social activist, hipster f*ggots in the face already.

I hate my patheticly ******ed generation with every fiber in my being.

Comment

inb4 I hope Kony never gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by ~Big Smoke~ View Post
            I read that some ridiculously low percentage of their money actually goes to the cause. A lot of is spent on staff salaries, trips, vehicles, etc.

Well obviously they have to fund trips and vehicles to get shyt done. .

Non-profit type salaries are OK too - 30-45k per. . . they got families to feed too. . .

But if they are actually keeping the "profits" for themselves (which is what a for profit organization does), then phuck them.

Comment

The funny thing is that Sam Childers has been doin work there for years, saving kids from being kidnapped, offering them some sort of safe environment, and if you watch Machine Gun Preacher ( which was probably made to raise awareness on Kony) you'll see that the dude had a reaaally low exposure and bassicaly funded his own *****, grabbing loans from banks and so on.

Now all of the sudden you got these hipsters that raise awareness and *pressure the government* into helping Uganda and so on. Srsly...you don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to raise an eyebrow on this one.

Somehow these days ppl think they are some sort of mother theresa's if they join a fb group or give away 2 dollars and then never shutting up about it. I'll take Childers anyday over these *socially aware folk*. More doing less talking.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                  Well obviously they have to fund trips and vehicles to get shyt done. .

Non-profit type salaries are OK too - 30-45k per. . . they got families to feed too. . .

But if they are actually keeping the "profits" for themselves (which is what a for profit organization does), then phuck them.
                  *This is taken from a poster from reddit.*

First of all, the guy who made that film get's paid $90,000 a year. That's for him and his family. This does not include him paying costs for film equipment, video editting software, nor does it cover travel or accomodations whilst in anywhere else. Those are all covered under the ludicrous budgets that the Invisible Children organization actually deal with. Let's go to that now. Here are some expenses from CharityNavigator.:

Compensation of Leaders | % of Compensation relative to amount of money made by IC | Title

$88,241 | 0.99% | Ben Keesey - CEO
                  $89,669 | 1.00% | Jason Russell - Co-Founder/Filmmaker
                  $84,377 | 0.94% | Laren Poole - Co-Founder/Filmmaker

Revenue
                  Total Contributions: $10,334,060
                  Program Service Revenue: $3,423,351
                  Total Primary Revenue: $13,757,411
                  Other Revenue $7,769

TOTAL REVENUE: $13,765,180
                  Expenses
                  Program Expenses: $7,163,384
                  Administrative Expenses: $1,444,570
                  Fundraising Expenses: $286,678

TOTAL FUNCTIONAL EXPENSES: $8,894,632
                  Payments to Affiliates $0 Excess (Or deficit) for the year: $4,870,548
                  Net Assets $6,584,811

As if that isn't bad enough, they've refused to Co-operate with the Better Business Bureau, Their transparancy rating is fairly low on Charity Navigator, and allegations of fraud. HuffingtonPost has an article on it here.
                  Last edited by Shabba Rank$; 03-09-2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

More from the Kony reddit thread.

Of the $8.9 million in donations they spent in 2011, this is the breakdown:
                    $1.7 million in US employee salaries
                    $357,000 in Film costs
                    $850,000 in Production costs
                    $751,000 in Computer equipment
                    $244,000 in "professional services" (DC lobbyists)
                    $1.07 million in travel expenses
                    $400,000 in yearly office rent in downtown San Diego
                    $16,000 in Entertainment
                    etc...
                    Only 2.8 million (31%) made it to their charity program

Comment

Working...
                    X