Holiday weekend leaves more than 100 gunfire victims in Chicago

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday weekend leaves more than 100 gunfire victims in Chicago

Chicago's CRAZY

Washington (AFP) - The United States celebrated Independence Day with a long weekend of barbecues and fireworks, but in violence-plagued Chicago more than 101 were hit by gunfire, with 14 dying of their wounds, the Chicago Tribune said on Wednesday.

The youngest of the victims was just 13 years old and the eldest 60, the newspaper said, noting that the shootings were concentrated in the south and west of the country's third largest city.

The heavy toll came after President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he would be sending federal reinforcements to tackle chronic violence in Chicago, where local police forces were slammed for abuse in a federal report put out last January.

The long bout of holiday violence began on Friday and ended in the early hours of Wednesday, July 5. The holiday started off relatively peacefully but violence quickly escalated on Tuesday afternoon, when 41 people were shot in just 12 hours.

Violence in the city has drawn a great deal of media attention because it is where former president Barack Obama worked as a civil rights attorney and law professor and where he still maintains a high profile.

The rate of violence relative to the size of the population is, however, lower than other US cities such as St Louis or Baltimore.

Like i said in the other thread, this world is ****ed. What an embarassment

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
      Chicago's CRAZY

Washington (AFP) - The United States celebrated Independence Day with a long weekend of barbecues and fireworks, but in violence-plagued Chicago more than 101 were hit by gunfire, with 14 dying of their wounds, the Chicago Tribune said on Wednesday.

The youngest of the victims was just 13 years old and the eldest 60, the newspaper said, noting that the shootings were concentrated in the south and west of the country's third largest city.

The heavy toll came after President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he would be sending federal reinforcements to tackle chronic violence in Chicago, where local police forces were slammed for abuse in a federal report put out last January.

The long bout of holiday violence began on Friday and ended in the early hours of Wednesday, July 5. The holiday started off relatively peacefully but violence quickly escalated on Tuesday afternoon, when 41 people were shot in just 12 hours.

Violence in the city has drawn a great deal of media attention because it is where former president Barack Obama worked as a civil rights attorney and law professor and where he still maintains a high profile.

The rate of violence relative to the size of the population is, however, lower than other US cities such as St Louis or Baltimore.
      What's the population in this city? That's dope tho.. my city of 200k only had one murder last night... countless shootings tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
        What's the population in this city? That's dope tho.. my city of 200k only had one murder last night... countless shootings tho...

chicago is absolutely massive. one of the biggest metropolitan regions in the country outside of new york and LA. probably around 10 million people live in the greater chicago metro region. it's up there with metro atlanta, metro bay area, metro dallas / arlington / ft worth. it's huge.

if you're on the waterfront, downtown, etc, you'd never feel like chicago was a dangerous place. then you get in a cab and head to the suburbs and you feel like you need an armed caravan. been there several times in the last 5 years on business. i feel most comfortable in the convention centers and hotels . stayed at trump's place last year on the waterfront. gorgeous city from the right perspective. legitimately dangerous place from the wrong one.

gun control, guys. it is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          chicago is absolutely massive. one of the biggest metropolitan regions in the country outside of new york and LA. probably around 10 million people live in the greater chicago metro region. it's up there with metro atlanta, metro bay area, metro dallas / arlington / ft worth. it's huge.

if you're on the waterfront, downtown, etc, you'd never feel like chicago was a dangerous place. then you get in a cab and head to the suburbs and you feel like you need an armed caravan. been there several times in the last 5 years on business. i feel most comfortable in the convention centers and hotels . stayed at trump's place last year on the waterfront. gorgeous city from the right perspective. legitimately dangerous place from the wrong one.

gun control, guys. it is coming.
          How delusional are you? You have been touting this notion of increased gun control since Sandy Hook. You have a republican president who has reversed Obama's executive order on gun control, a republican majority congress and the hugely influential and powerful gun lobby in the NRA. I would like to see gun control through sensible common sense laws, but it's not happening under this administration.

The only hope for gun laws is through state legislation like we have in Mass.

Comment

They will be ok.

Comment

Nearly 40% of households in America have at least one firearm, millions of concealed carry permits, millions of people all over America right now walking around with a legal firearm on their body somewhere and oddly enough he vast majority of these shootings and murdered every week happen with illegal firearms in democratically run urban areas, but yeah let's have more gun control in these cities with already strict gun laws because the people in these areas sure follow the law...give me a fuking break !

How about the ignorant people of Chicago and other cities vote Democrat again next year...one of these days the Obama phone will be coming in the mail !

Just maybe we have a people problem in Chicago...but quick divert the attention towards White cops Black firearms and Orange Donald Trump !

Comment

Originally posted by Brick Top View Post
                Nearly 40% of households in America have at least one firearm, millions of concealed carry permits, millions of people all over America right now walking around with a legal firearm on their body somewhere and oddly enough he vast majority of these shootings and murdered every week happen with illegal firearms in democratically run urban areas, but yeah let's have more gun control in these cities with already strict gun laws because the people in these areas sure follow the law...give me a fuking break !

How about the ignorant people of Chicago and other cities vote Democrat again next year...one of these days the Obama phone will be coming in the mail !

Just maybe we have a people problem in Chicago...but quick divert the attention towards White cops Black firearms and Orange Donald Trump !
                In Massachusetts, a heavily democratic state (with a repub gov) we have some of the lowest gun violence in the nation because, I think, of our strict gun laws.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  How delusional are you? You have been touting this notion of increased gun control since Sandy Hook. You have a republican president who has reversed Obama's executive order on gun control, a republican majority congress and the hugely influential and powerful gun lobby in the NRA. I would like to see gun control through sensible common sense laws, but it's not happening under this administration.

The only hope for gun laws is through state legislation like we have in Mass.
                  Tell me all about how Obama solved the gun problem in Chicago in his 8 years, all his hard work is surely going to be ruined by Donald Trump !

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                    In Massachusetts, a heavily democratic state (with a repub gov) we have some of the lowest gun violence in the nation because, I think, of our strict gun laws.
                    You think? how about it has nothing to do with your strict gun laws !

Comment

Working...
                    X