Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana White: "Every time boxing puts on an event it's a going out of business sale"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    He's definitely not wrong. Boxing puts on fights, the UFC puts on events. Boxing used to put on events. They don't really do that any longer & the reasons are vast & aren't firmly put on any one group specifically (networks, promoters, alphabet groups, managers, boxers or whatever) despite fans trying to do so. Its like a systematic breakdown in all those major groups in the sport with boxers themselves likely being the last getting on board the f#ck up boxing bus.
    Every boxing match isn't an event... and you know this.

Some are..... most aren't.

Every football game isn't the Superbowl.

.....doesn't mean Football is dying.

Comment

Niche sport created for guys who can't box. Its like watching Wladimir vs Povetkin with your TV tipped on its side.

Comment

Who is "boxing" though. Is he trying to compare regular ol promoters to a damn brand like ufc

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
          Every boxing match isn't an event... and you know this.

Some are..... most aren't.

Every football game isn't the Superbowl.

.....doesn't mean Football is dying.
          I didn't say boxing is dying. You guys really gotta quit with the extremes all the time. There is a whole world of grey in between the black & white some of you cats can only focus on.

Every UFC event (about 3 a month) has an event quality to it with a card full of 12ish fights that are more often then not competitive that greatly appeal to MMA fans. Sure some are bigger or more appeal, but every show they put on is built to be appealing to MMA fans.

Meanwhile HBO hardly showed a competitive fight off of PPV all this year. And boxing as a whole ALMOST NEVER puts on a quality card filled with competitive fights that truly appeal to what boxing fans want to see. Hell usually the top 4 or 5 fights on a card only have 1 competitive fight if that. Thats a f#cking problem for boxings popularity. I mean just look at threads here all the time about bs fights with every network, its not a HBO thing, its not a Showtime/PBC thing. Its a boxing thing.

And randomly as an avid bettor its always clear how effed up boxing is these days if you go check out the betting lines. The upcoming boxing main events & co-features all over the world on any given weekend are usually -500 for the favorite or higher going upwards of -2000 commonly & sometimes going up to -5000. Meanwhile MMA events have a card full of fights that don't go higher than -200ish for the fav, +180ish for the dog. I mean without anything else considered any reasonable sports fan would rather watch a -200, +180 or closer matchup vs a -500, +320 or wider matchup in virtually any sport cuz people watch sports at their core to see legit competition.

Comment

Dana White is a very greedy guy who found a way to pay his fighters very little and tell them who they fight and for how much money. He has that ultimate fighter tournament with the winner getting a six figure contract. That could mean a contract for $900,000 or $100,000 and you know damn well it's for $100,000 or they would tell you the amount. No hot boxing prospect would get excited about a $100,000 contract. They copy boxing in so many ways. They use boxing judges to score their fights and copy the ten point or less scoring system. They hire boxing trainers to teach their fighters how to punch.They call their fighters like Johnson and Rousey the best pound for pound fighters in the world as if boxers aren't even in the running. I like to watch some of the MMA fighters and some of them can really fight. Boxing is my main love and I don't like the way hypocrites like Dana White disrespect boxing. I think the most skilled fighters in the world are boxers because that's where the big money is at. If you like MMA better than boxing maybe you should stick to MMA boards. Boxing has been around for a couple of hundred years and it will probably still be here two hundred years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
              Who is "boxing" though. Is he trying to compare regular ol promoters to a damn brand like ufc
              There is an argument for an apples & oranges comparison. I'd still suggest there are big & lil warlords in boxing with en****** like HBO, Showtime, PBC, SKY, GBP, TR & other major networks & promotions that can't or won't make competitive events that appeal to boxing fans on the regular.

About the only thing close to making appealing events in boxing on the regular is Eddie Hearn & Matchroom. Everyone else is aiming towards cashing out with this event or that contender or champion. Thats not how you go about making your sport bigger & better.

Comment

Originally posted by tyrone biggums! View Post
                i agree

boxing has become all about these bow tie wearing, skinny jeans wearing "bruvvas" running away for 12 rounds and winning by landing a couple of jabs a round.

Nobody wanna see that nobody wanna pay to see the sweet science of how to run from a fight.

Bring back the old days, mike tyson sugar ray dey was real fighters and they ain't wear no bow ties
                why don't you take your stupid made up word bruvvas and shove it where the son don't shine. I never heard anybody but you use that word. If you like mma better than boxing feel free to leave and time, trader.

Comment

dana cucks his fighters hard, he should be talking chit at boxing promoters not fighters, more along the lines of "lol you guys pay your fighters so much, connor sells 1million ppv and i pay him peanuts of $5 million and keep the rest, canelo craps out a 600k ppv and you suckers have to pay him $15 million"

Comment

Two things killed the PPV model

Online streaming and Mayweather's overly expensive snoozefests

You'll need something truly special to get the casual's attention again

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                      Dana White is a very greedy guy who found a way to pay his fighters very little and tell them who they fight and for how much money.
                      I don't think Dana is "very greedy". I mean he's a guy who believed in something when no one else did & made it into something people paid $4B for this year. He's a success story & sure anyone striving for success is likely to enjoy the company of money or expect that as a reward, but I don't see him as being anymore greedy then any other guy running **** in another sport.

He has that ultimate fighter tournament with the winner getting a six figure contract. That could mean a contract for $900,000 or $100,000 and you know damn well it's for $100,000 or they would tell you the amount.
                      Sure, but most of these guys are making peanuts in other minor league MMA en****** & even $100k is like a gift from god. And its not like these guys are actually worth 6 digit contracts all the time or even half the time. Sure there are great fighters who've been TUF winners, but they've all gotten their bigger paydays after that contract. Most of these guys end up in other leagues or as UFC journeymen in quick order.

No hot boxing prospect would get excited about a $100,000 contract.
                      TUF guys aren't usually hot prospects the UFC tends to sign the hot prospects outright & the best of the rest or just guys with interesting stories get the opportunity to fight their way into the UFC. But I'd still say a 100k deal for a up & coming boxer is a solid deal coming into a major promoter.

They copy boxing in so many ways. They use boxing judges to score their fights and copy the ten point or less scoring system.
                      Back when MMA was considered human c#ck fighting they made a move to become sanctioned by state en****** thus had to adopt many rules that boxing has. Personally as a fan of both sports I feel like MMA has taken the best things of boxing & thrown out the garbage rules.

They are also always improving things. In fact the scoring system will be changing next year with more of a drive to clearly define winning a round closely (10-9 normally these days) & winning a non-one sided round decisively (10-9 normally now, but will be 10-8 in 2017) like boxing needs to do, but hasn't despite that being a problem in most controversial decisions.

Boxing is my main love and I don't like the way hypocrites like Dana White disrespect boxing.
                      The ironic thing here is that Dana White loves boxing & other combat sports. The thing most of you mostly or purely boxing guys don't get is that to be a fan of MMA you almost gotta enjoy & respect boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, muay thai, wrestling & other combat sports while most boxing fans just live & die with boxing. Thus Dana enjoys & respects boxing & specifically boxers as a whole he just feels its going in the wrong direction.

And I'd throw myself in that same category as I feel Dana is in. While boxing is my #1 combat sport of choice I greatly enjoy many other combat sports like MMA, kickboxing, BJJ/grappling & muay thai & I feel like boxing has dropped the ball in this era & somehow, someway, someone needs to do something to pick it up & get boxing on the right track again.

Comment

Working...
                      X