No announcement yet.

Upcoming PPV schedule

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming PPV schedule

There are 8 months left in the year and there are already 4 pay-per-views scheduled. I was updating the calendar today and started to put these pieces together. Let's look at the rest of the year.
    April 9 Pacquiao-Bradley III

Okay so naturally this is on PPV. Manny Pacquiao is the currently the biggest star in boxing. This one deserves the price tag (especially given the undercard.)
    May 7 Canelo-Khan

Canelo inherits the May and September Mayweather days because... he's Mexican and they are Mexican holidays. Despite the mismatch, it's two big names and it's going to be entertaining for about 5 rounds. Worth it.
    June 18 Cotto-TBA (Kirkland)

This is where things start to get a little dicey. Cotto is coming off a loss. I'm not sure if Kirkland is speaking in coherent sentences yet. This card will NOT feature Felix Verdejo (who has his own headlining HBO card coming the following week.) I don't imagine this one doing well.
    July 23 Crawford-TBA (likely Postol)

I'm willing to pay for this one. The 1 and 2 super lightweights fighting is fine by me. I don't care what the undercard is.
    This is what is proposed thus far, but let's project the rest of the year.
    August

Nothing. This is typically the time of the year StubHub has it's annual ritualistic blood bath fight of the year contender on some undercard.
    September 10 or 17 Canelo-Lemieux

Ah, where did Lemieux come from? Let's first say that there's no way Canelo isn't fighting on PPV anymore until he loses. Next, Lemieux's fight with James De La Rosa was cancelled this past weekend. Why? Weight? Sure. Maybe. But why is that immediately we hear he's being worked into the Canelo-Khan undercard? An undercard that only has 2 fights currently scheduled. My guess is that it will be a set-up fight to sell Canelo-Lemieux. That Golovkin fight ain't coming till next year at the earliest. This is a worst case scenario. The best case scenario is that this is the Golovkin fight, but it seems pretty unlikely.
    Late October Golovkin-Saunders

This is going to be a tough sell, but I think they justify it by saying it's a legitimate unification fight between two fighters who avoid nobody. Saunders has the highlights of dropping Lee around and Golovkin is Golovkin.
    November Bradley-Vargas II (small percentage it's Pacquiao-Vargas)

Jessie Vargas is coming off the biggest win of his career and he's ready for a rematch with Bradley. Now, you may be asking how do they put Bradley in a PPV coming off a loss? He ain't losing. Either he wins this fairly or Bob Arum smile he wins this fairly.
    December Cotto-TBA (Probably Andy Lee)

This is assuming that they don't make Cotto-Lee in June (which I think is far smarter.) Either way, Cotto's December fight probably makes it to PPV coming off of a nice win over James Kirkland in June.
    So it looks like we have a PPV in 7 or the next 8 months. If we average the price out to $60 bucks for each one, it adds up to $420 for the rest of the year. That's a steep price.
    What do you think of this tentative and projected schedule?
    Are you paying for all of them?

Showtime is going to go on a tear. But HBO PPV fights are of better caliber?

Comment

Something's fked up when one of the best fights on the horizon is Canelo/Kahn. Everything else interesting is unsigned/hypothetical right now.
      Ward/Kovalev seems like an eternity away...

Comment

I didn't even realise Canelo-Khan was a PPV event in the US

Its not as if we want to see Khan KO'd so badly, we've seen it before

Comment

HBO going PPV heavy plays right into Haymon's hands. At a time when he's trying to lower the cost of being a boxing fan, HBO is trying to raise it.

The cost of following Haymon Boxing and the fights you get vs the cost of following HBO Boxing and the fights you get . . . it's going to be no comparison and we will continue to see more and more of a shift in Haymon's favor.

For the four month period of April, May, June and July, it would cost $300 to watch HBO's fights ($240 PPV, $60 HBO) and $50 ($0 FOX/NBC/SPIKE, $50 SHO) to watch Haymon's fights. Let's chat in August and see which side ended up giving fight fans the best value.

Comment

You forgot that Ward vs Kovalev is target for November

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
              You forgot that Ward vs Kovalev is target for November
              You're right but both kov and ward have another tune up fight next right?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Something's fked up when one of the best fights on the horizon is Canelo/Kahn. Everything else interesting is unsigned/hypothetical right now.
                Ward/Kovalev seems like an eternity away...
                Ward hopes it's an eternity away.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Ward hopes it's an eternity away.
                  Which is why he went up in weight specifically to target him. Go back and try again troll.

Comment

Salido-Vargas is June 4th on regular HBO. There's your HBO bloodbath for that time of year right there. If you're going to go through all the trouble to type that long of a post, why not make it accurate.

Comment

Working...
                    X