Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ward asked Kovalev for a 172 lb catch weight would it be an issue?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward asking to meet him half way between divisions for a big fight...would you have had an issue with it?

We know Ward is just moving up now but what would be the response here if he wanted the fight but halfway between divisions for both guys...
    I don't like the idea of a catch weight when fighting for a title. Catch weights are useful but have a limited place in boxing, the practice is being abused these days.

To be honest, I hate you even brought up the idea of a Ward / Kovalev catchweight....in a few months folks around here will be swearing they heard Ward mention it instead of you!

Comment

If he thinks he can beat Kovalev why would he make such a request? A fighter can have a weight advantage on you sure but his arms and legs don't grow. The only reason for this would be to hinder Kovalev which is not a reasonable request. If you don't want to fight 100% of a man you are a coward.

Comment

It isn't an issue if Kovalev willingly agrees to it.

Comment

As Wards next fight is at 175 and he is supposedly going to fight as a LHW I think it would be a bit ridiculous. But it's no sillier then half the things fighters ask for.

If I was Kov and Ward asked for that, I'd say sure, as long as this is a non-title bout.

Comment

It would take away from his victory. Fighting Barrera at 175 but wanting a cw for Kovalev would be a ***** move also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
              Ward asking to meet him half way between divisions for a big fight...would you have had an issue with it?

We know Ward is just moving up now but what would be the response here if he wanted the fight but halfway between divisions for both guys...
              I would say Ward was being ridiculous and unreasonable.. Title fights are fought at the full weight limit for the weight class which is 175 pounds for light heavyweights. To ask Kovalev to fight at 172 would be fuking catch weight BS. Kovalev just barely makes 175. Going 3 pounds lighter would probably weaken him and he would refuse to do it. . Anyway Ward would never do anything like this. Ward will fight Kovalev at the full 175 pounds. Asking Kovalev to fight any lighter than 175 has never crossed Ward's mind. It's a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                It would take away from his victory. Fighting Barrera at 175 but wanting a cw for Kovalev would be a ***** move also.
                It would and it would and I'm hoping that Ward is above that.

But we'll see.

It's the new boxing meta.

Comment

If Andre Ward asked for a catchweight for Kovalev, he would be a scared coward. But Andre Ward is not a scared coward. Andre Ward is a man. Andre Ward will fight Kovalev at 175. Not only that, but Andre Ward will knock Kovalev out at 175. Ward sees the china Kovalev is packing.

On the other hand, Gennady Golovkin is a coward. That is why he asks for catchweights for fights he knows he can't win.

Gennady Golovkin is a coward. Andre Ward is a man. Gennady Golovkin wants to drag a junior middleweight to 160. Andre Ward moved up to 175 to fight the killer in the division.

Andre Ward is a man.

Gennady Golovkin is a coward.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                    If Andre Ward asked for a catchweight for Kovalev, he would be a scared coward. But Andre Ward is not a scared coward. Andre Ward is a man. Andre Ward will fight Kovalev at 175. Not only that, but Andre Ward will knock Kovalev out at 175. Ward sees the china Kovalev is packing.

On the other hand, Gennady Golovkin is a coward. That is why he asks for catchweights for fights he knows he can't win.

Gennady Golovkin is a coward. Andre Ward is a man. Gennady Golovkin wants to drag a junior middleweight to 160. Andre Ward moved up to 175 to fight the killer in the division.

Andre Ward is a man.

Gennady Golovkin is a coward.
                    so you think Mayweather is a coward then aswell?

Mayweather had no problems facing Cotto at 154 but soon as his Maker CANELOLUJAH came knocking it had to be at a catchweight or no fight.

I do agree Ward never striked me as fearful he just strikes me as greedy snob who is a lil delusional about his own worth and accolades.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR KOVALEV! View Post
                      so you think Mayweather is a coward then aswell?

Mayweather had no problems facing Cotto at 154 but soon as his Maker CANELOLUJAH came knocking it had to be at a catchweight or no fight.

I do agree Ward never striked me as fearful he just strikes me as greedy snob who is a lil delusional about his own worth and accolades.
                      Ninja edit!

I have no bad things to say about Kovalev. Maybe if I was black, but I'm gringo.

Kovalev is a killer. Ward is a man. Golovkin is a coward.

Mayweather will finish anywhere between 7-0 and 13-0 vs. Hall of Famers. Bow down to the legend!

Comment

Working...
                      X